cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does it make a BIG difference when using the benchmarking.

Leadbelly1978
Level 7
Does it make a BIG difference when using the benchmarking. I ran it 5 times. The only time it slowed down was the last run at the
Heavy multitasking. (:p )
I'm not ready to OC it yet, well not a large OC, because I want to reapply the thermal paste, maybe add a different cooler.

(OT) Does it matter how many times I benchmark the program?
ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO LGA 1150
Intel Core i7-4790K Quad-Core Desktop Processor (4.0 GHz)
Corsair Hydro Series H110i CPU Cooler
MSI GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozer V
500GB SSD, 2TB WD
G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
(PC3 12800)
Corsair RM 1000W 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular Cables
Graphite Series 760T Black Version Full-Tower Windowed
5 REPLIES 5

Korth
Level 14
Not a lot of detail in your questions. What are you benchmarking? With what hardware and what software?

Benchmarks don't always accurately represent useful "real world" performance, especially when they attempt to combine multiple metrics into some sort of overall performance score. At the worst end you have things like Microsoft's Windows Experience Index, perhaps useful for comparing devices side-by-side on a store display shelf but otherwise only tenuously connected to actual performance.

Better data can be obtained by benching specific components (processor performance, memory bandwidth, drive R/W speeds, etc) but it's only useful if you understand what you're measuring and why it's meaningful. 3D games tend to push hardware extremes - performance leans most heavily on the GPU card(s) but also depends on processor, memory, drives, and other hardware performances - different 3D/game engines will output different fps scores, although most tend to go a little light on stressing physics/particles/complexity because they want to advertise smooth playability more than crazy eye-candy.

Any benchmark can produce minor variances on repeated runs. Complex code and hardware can behave a little differently each time it's run, the benchmark tool itself may use some arbitrary level of precision, astronomically large numbers of samples can be measured and condensed into final results so it's almost more of a statistical thing than a hard speedometer.

Stress tests attempt to push your hardware (or specific hardware components) to 100% and beyond. To simulate absolute worst-case heaviest loading, to strain your performance and power and cooling systems to their max, to confirm no weak failing parts are present. Many stress tests also serve as benchmarks. But again, these typically don't accurately represent useful "real world" performance.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
Not a lot of detail in your questions. What are you benchmarking? With what hardware and what software?

Benchmarks don't always accurately represent useful "real world" performance, especially when they attempt to combine multiple metrics into some sort of overall performance score. At the worst end you have things like Microsoft's Windows Experience Index, perhaps useful for comparing devices side-by-side on a store display shelf but otherwise only tenuously connected to actual performance.

Better data can be obtained by benching specific components (processor performance, memory bandwidth, drive R/W speeds, etc) but it's only useful if you understand what you're measuring and why it's meaningful. 3D games tend to push hardware extremes - performance leans most heavily on the GPU card(s) but also depends on processor, memory, drives, and other hardware performances - different 3D/game engines will output different fps scores, although most tend to go a little light on stressing physics/particles/complexity because they want to advertise smooth playability more than crazy eye-candy.

Any benchmark can produce minor variances on repeated runs. Complex code and hardware can behave a little differently each time it's run, the benchmark tool itself may use some arbitrary level of precision, astronomically large numbers of samples can be measured and condensed into final results so it's almost more of a statistical thing than a hard speedometer.

Stress tests attempt to push your hardware (or specific hardware components) to 100% and beyond. To simulate absolute worst-case heaviest loading, to strain your performance and power and cooling systems to their max, to confirm no weak failing parts are present. Many stress tests also serve as benchmarks. But again, these typically don't accurately represent useful "real world" performance.

I'm benchmarking with RealBench, I'm using RealTemp, I have a few program open, ( I don't have the programs in front of me, I'm at my Laptop. I have a i7-4770K 3.5, I have a ASUS Maximums Hero vi, a Corsair Hydro Series H110i CPU Cooler, MSI GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozer V, 500GB SSD, 2TB WD & Corsair Vengeance (2x8)1600. (Enough info for the Hardware? ) Corsair RM 1000W 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular Cables.

I just wanted to see if I had any problems.
So I'm a noob when it comes to stressing my system & the extreme Computer parts.
500GB SSD, 2TB WD
(PC3 12800)

Korth
Level 14
No crashing and no errors = no problems, lol. No complaints about stability so it seems good.

You're not overclocking anything, so no need to measure up your performance vs others. No complaints about performance so it seems good.

It's always good to check your temps, especially CPU and GPU card ... but if nothing's overheating to fault/shutdown under stress then no problem, lol. I would expect this i7 to idle around 30C-35C and reach 75C-80C at max load. A GTX970 should idle about 30C-40C and ramp up to about 80C under max load. Reaching higher temps will throttle performance (deactivate Turbo/Boost, allocate more power budget towards cooling, etc), the silicon could actually run at well over 100C but it gets increasingly volatile and erratic so the parts are designed to power off around 90C or so. No complaints about thermal throttling or excessive noise output so it seems good.

At a glance you don't have any hardware bottlenecks. If you're attempting to upgrade performance, then good bang-for-the-buck gains (which your existing PSU and mobo could support) might be a second identical SSD (in striped RAID) or a second 4GB GTX970 (in SLI). (A single GTX980Ti or R9-390X card would arguably be better, but would also cost more even after getting a good resale price for your GTX970.) Comparing your per-component benchmark results vs those of other users with similar hardware can identify where bottlenecks for the things/tasks/games you do (and the ways you do them) might actually be. Not really worth upgrading to an i7-4790/4790K unless you really need more raw processing speed, not really worth upgrading to a Z97 mobo unless you really need some particular compatibility/feature your existing Z87 mobo lacks.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
To use RealBench for stress testing select the stress test and set it to run using all of your system memory.

For Benchmarking...trying to get the highest system score you can run the Benchmark. Best scores are after a restart with the minimum programs running in the background and run it twice...the second run after a clean restart will give the highest score.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?35793-ROG-Benchmarking-Tweaks-amp-Tips

Leadbelly1978
Level 7
@Kevin: Thanks for the great information. BTW: I might OC later.
I am happy where my system is for now. All of my programs work perfect.
If I do want to upgrade my CPU, what should I go with? (Sorry, wrong place to ask that question)

@Elite: That would be great getting the highest score.

EDIT: Sorry about the spelling errors. I've been up late.
500GB SSD, 2TB WD
(PC3 12800)