cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to upgrade my laptop to a touchscreen and GTX970m

Luckdragon82
Level 7
Is it possible to upgrade the monitor to a touchscreen and the video card to a 900-series GPU (specifically a GTX970m)?
7 REPLIES 7

rcarlos243
Level 7
I am not sure about the screen if there is any digitizer connector on non touchscreen models but you cannot upgrade the video card inside the laptop as it is solder on the motherboard.

You can however use a Desktop Graphics Card (like GTX 970) through Thunderbolt using external enclosure such as Akitio Thunder 2 + PSU

rcarlos243 wrote:
I am not sure about the screen if there is any digitizer connector on non touchscreen models but you cannot upgrade the video card inside the laptop as it is solder on the motherboard.

You can however use a Desktop Graphics Card (like GTX 970) through Thunderbolt using external enclosure such as Akitio Thunder 2 + PSU

Have you tried the thunderbolt method before? This could be the best way to future proof my laptop 😄

Maxter
Level 9
rcarlos243 is right. Unless you have soldering skills and know how to install the GPU, and the GPU is the same size as the previous one, you really can't. You can, typically, only upgrade hard/solid drive, and ram. Maybe fix some parts like keyboard or replace with same screen, if you're that good (the connections, as above mentioned, is the issue)

code9523
Level 9
I upgrated gpu in my g750jx to jh with purchasing not working g750jh I also done a cooling upgrade as I use copper heatsink from g 750jz in my lappy everything works fine for almost 3 month!
Asus G74SX> Asus G55VW 3D> Asus G75VW 3D> Asus G750JW> Asus G750JX> Asus G750JH

Wulff
Level 9
the thunderbolt box recommended in this post (akitio one) uses 2 thunderbolt ports , would it get enough power from one port then since we only have one port on our g750jz, or is that why you have to use an external psu?

Maxter
Level 9
That's why you need the PSU. The laptop doesn't provide enough power.

Rog-Gamer
Level 7
As a touchscreen laptop there are any devices offered by Asus but what is your budget ?
Here are 2 topics to search for Asus laptops with touch screen, here at Touch4Laptop And Cnet
Hope this help