cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JT Booting into bios?

F16drivr
Level 7
Just received my new G751JT, love it so far and installed a SSD as the OS drive thanks to this site....thanks!

Anyway, i have noticed i can only get to the bios by restarting and pressing the F2 button. When trying this from a powered off state and pressing the power button i have not been able to get to the bios. It this the right?

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4

Sanctrum
Level 9
It is perfectly normal.

First, please learn how the UEFI boot, fast boot and win8.1 hybrid shutdown work together...

In general... when you normally shutdown Win8.1 it is performing "the hybrid shutdown"... meaning that it is not shutting down like Win7 used to... and it is also not hibernating all the RAM... instead it is hibernating Windows kernel ONLY (small amount of RAM) at disk... and then the computer completely powers off.

When it boots up... it's making the UEFI + fast boot = de-hibernating kernel... that is why it is so fast and you CAN'T access BIOS during that process as it would potentially spoil the consistency of hibernated kernel with BIOS itself... So as the precaution entering BIOS is not allowed in that situation.

How to properly deal with that... read uncle Google (hybrid shutdown vs full shutdown).

Also you can long press (10 seconds) the power button to completely reset the power provided by the battery... it should allow you to enter the BIOS... but I would avoid that procedure... or use it in emergency situation only.

Thanks, makes sense. Windows 8 newb here. I was wondering because if for some reason system never boots to windows.....how to get to the bios if i cant do it from shut down mode. So, like you said, long push of the power button would do it. Thanks again.

Prostar_Compute
Level 9
Yep, the whole hybrid shutdown thing is meant to be a boon as far as booting speed goes, but it throws some people. Glad Sanctrum was able to clear that up for you. 🙂

We customize Asus, MSI, and Clevo laptops!

Yep, takes less than 8 seconds to boot up with this new beast of a laptop. Definitely not used to it. Windows 8.1 aint so bad.....