cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

to buy EVGA 908Ti or ASUS Strix 980Ti?

MUPiSz
Level 7
i'm upgrading my GPU from EVGA GTX 770 to GTX 980Ti in a ASUS Z97-A MB.

i was thinking of the EVGA 06G-P4-4995-KR model. Amazon price=741.00usd Newegg price=679.00usd(EVGA) & Zotac(699.0)

i see now ASUS has its Strix version of the 980Ti.

is ASUS version a better card or stick with the EVGA? that might be spitting hairs though i like the look of the Strix better.
19 REPLIES 19

Chino
Level 15
Personally I like the aesthetics of the Strix GTX 980 Ti. Not to mention that it comes with a higher core and memory overclock out of the box. 🙂 If I had to pick between the 3, I'd grab the Strix.

Chino wrote:
Personally I like the aesthetics of the Strix GTX 980 Ti. Not to mention that it comes with a higher core and memory overclock out of the box. 🙂 If I had to pick between the 3, I'd grab the Strix.

appreciate the feedback. its longer than the EVGA but it will fit. the overclocked one is over a hundred bucks more. is that OC that much "better"? i'm not a serious gamer, its more to run my new 42" 4k monitor.

739.00 : http://amzn.to/1LdHFZJ

679.9 : http://amzn.to/1MxhWZw

sk2play
Level 13
Look at a GPU 980ti that does NOT require a OC utility to achieve your target OC . . .
Look at a GPU 980ti that does NOT have Coil whine
Look at a GPU 980ti that is quiet (in your PC case air flow)
Corsair 500R Case, H110 Hydro, 1200AX PSU, Asus Maximus Hero VI MB, Intel 4770K CPU, Gigabyte GPU GV-N98TWF3OC-6GD, G-Skill Trident 2400MHz 32GB, Crucial M500 960GB SSD, Seagate 6TB HDD x2, Creative SBZ to Denon AVR-4311ci - Infinity Primus 5.1 w/Klipsch Sub XW-300d, HP ZR30w 30" S-IPS LCD, W10 64bit

sk2play wrote:
Look at a GPU 980ti that does NOT require a OC utility to achieve your target OC . . .
Look at a GPU 980ti that does NOT have Coil whine
Look at a GPU 980ti that is quiet (in your PC case air flow)

#1: i don't know much about this. i do see the ASUS Strix comes with some OC softwareas do other brands. you're saying to get a card OC's already from factory?

#2: i see many GPU's showing up with that issue going back through 2014 releases to current crop. from asus, nvidia, evga, msi, gigabyte GPU's seem to have this and yet some users with same models don't seem to have the coil whine, so they report i was about ready to pull trigger on Strix, until i read your reply as some report this coil whine emitting from their speakers. seems its a luck of the draw as to whether a user gets the coil whine no matter what brand witht these 980Ti's.

#3: new GPU will go into a current corsair obsidian case, which has the gtx 770 in it now. its quiet, to me anyways, couple of ssd's and 5 fans, 6 counting psu fan circulation.

thanks for you reply and heads up. if ya got a 980Ti in mind let me know.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hmm between the two I would say strix...like the VRM... though more is not better...often quality components beat more/cheap components...both are prety well made.

EVGA have better support if things go wrong in my understanding...not something to be ignored

The EVGA classified I would take over any of them...

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Hmm between the two I would say strix...like the VRM... though more is not better...often quality components beat more/cheap components...both are prety well made.

EVGA have better support if things go wrong in my understanding...not something to be ignored

The EVGA classified I would take over any of them...

appreciate your comments. i'll be able to make mind up now.

Menthol
Level 14
You say it's not for serious gaming, that phrase says any 980ti will do, you have a 4k monitor so for any serious gaming you need 2 of the top end cards either 980ti or Titan X. The 980ti Strix is a great looking card, you probably will never need a warranty. There is software to overclock just about any graphics card, ASUS has there's which is very good

Menthol wrote:
You say it's not for serious gaming, that phrase says any 980ti will do, you have a 4k monitor so for any serious gaming you need 2 of the top end cards either 980ti or Titan X. The 980ti Strix is a great looking card, you probably will never need a warranty. There is software to overclock just about any graphics card, ASUS has there's which is very good

thanks for pointing that out. i'm armed with good feedback now. won't have to overthink this anymore. 😉

sk2play
Level 13
I personally am looking at EVGA Classified because it doesn't require software to OC the OC Model.
Software hinders compatibility with new games (at launch).
Zotac has coil whine issues which disturb me.
Asus, MSI and Gigabyte have OC software needed to OC the cards, which disturb me.
Just waiting for something better than Batman to be bundled with it. Batman SUCKS
Corsair 500R Case, H110 Hydro, 1200AX PSU, Asus Maximus Hero VI MB, Intel 4770K CPU, Gigabyte GPU GV-N98TWF3OC-6GD, G-Skill Trident 2400MHz 32GB, Crucial M500 960GB SSD, Seagate 6TB HDD x2, Creative SBZ to Denon AVR-4311ci - Infinity Primus 5.1 w/Klipsch Sub XW-300d, HP ZR30w 30" S-IPS LCD, W10 64bit