cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[SOLVED] Desperate to get Linux properly up and running on my Asus ROG G20AJ.

tyler4tado
Level 7
UPDATE: I managed to get 15.04 running perfectly the day after I posted this. Check my reply to see how

For the past week or so, I have been pulling my hair out and staying up late hours into the night trying to get Linux (namely Ubuntu 14.04-15.04) working on this thing. Trying my best to dual boot to savor my Windows games, but I would probably install Ubuntu over Windows 10 (insider preview, works like a charm BTW) if that's what it takes. I have tried countless distributions (ISOs burned to USB drives) and different UEFI/BIOS settings, but I somehow seem to always get stuck on some error relating to either ACPI, my Nvidia card, or getting black screens due to UEFI & bios incompatibilities. (For the record, I have no idea what ACPI is or what it does.)

I should mention that I can sometimes get a desktop semi-running if I enable the CPU Graphics only option, but I don't want this. I have tried booting in CPU graphics mode, downloading the Nvidia drivers, and rebooting with the Nvidia GPU..but this always ends with either a black screen or a low-res nomodeset login loop.

I used to think the issue was not being able to disable Safety Boot, (a problem I see posted here often) as the option is greyed out. I simply deleted all of the Secure Boot keys and restarted. Just reinstall them to get back into Windows. But this doesn't help any of my Linux problems..not to mention, there are many options in the UEFI menu that I think can conflict with eachother; CSM, Safety Boot, Fast Boot, OS Type "Windows UEFI" or "Other OS", the force GPU settings, the list goes on. I mostly know my way around a computer, but on a technical level I hardly know what many of these options mean. It's like a big puzzle and everything has to be done just right to get the right configuration. Also, I have tried all of the different ports on the GPU and the on-board HDMI port next to it.

Distros I've tried (all attempted with various kernel parameters eg. acpi=off nomodeset etc):
Ubuntu 14.04 & 15.04 - Boots sometimes with CSM on and CPU forced graphics. No wifi by default. No-go with the Nvidia card, refuses to boot, usually with a plain black or dark purple screen.
Fedora 22 - Simply does not boot no matter what I do and stays on splash screen.
OpenSUSE 13 - Same as Fedora.
Linux Mint - Works like Ubuntu but with more graphical glitches.
Debian - It took me forever to even get to an actual installer with a GUI, so I didn't even bother.
Elementary OS - Works surprisingly well with a few kernel parameters in CPU graphics mode...but still not usable.

I know this particular model is often advertised as SteamOS compatible, and I've heard about plenty of failed attempts to install, but I have yet to try it.

Most of the distros I listed showed some sort of fast ACPI error on a prompt just before booting or attempting to boot.

If someone could please help me find a work-around for this to get my Ubuntu desktop running like it should, I'd be forever grateful. Hopefully I've provided enough information about my PC and my situation to get some help. I just want my Ubuntu. :mad:

Here are my specs, for reference. All of my hardware works perfectly without issues on Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. Hopefully someone is on the same page as me and can help...thanks in advance. 🙂
Asus G20AJ-B07
Windows 10 dev. preview Build 10166
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750
8GB DDR3 RAM
1TB Serial ATA hard drive (7200 rpm)
Intel 4th Generation Core i5 3.2ghz
Intel® Turbo Boost
UEFI/BIOS version - 0703
4 REPLIES 4

btreeinfinity
Level 7
tyler4tado wrote:
For the past week or so, I have been pulling my hair out and staying up late hours into the night trying to get Linux (namely Ubuntu 14.04-15.04) working on this thing. Trying my best to dual boot to savor my Windows games, but I would probably install Ubuntu over Windows 10 (insider preview, works like a charm BTW) if that's what it takes. I have tried countless distributions (ISOs burned to USB drives) and different UEFI/BIOS settings, but I somehow seem to always get stuck on some error relating to either ACPI, my Nvidia card, or getting black screens due to UEFI & bios incompatibilities. (For the record, I have no idea what ACPI is or what it does.)

I should mention that I can sometimes get a desktop semi-running if I enable the CPU Graphics only option, but I don't want this. I have tried booting in CPU graphics mode, downloading the Nvidia drivers, and rebooting with the Nvidia GPU..but this always ends with either a black screen or a low-res nomodeset login loop.

I used to think the issue was not being able to disable Safety Boot, (a problem I see posted here often) as the option is greyed out. I simply deleted all of the Secure Boot keys and restarted. Just reinstall them to get back into Windows. But this doesn't help any of my Linux problems..not to mention, there are many options in the UEFI menu that I think can conflict with eachother; CSM, Safety Boot, Fast Boot, OS Type "Windows UEFI" or "Other OS", the force GPU settings, the list goes on. I mostly know my way around a computer, but on a technical level I hardly know what many of these options mean. It's like a big puzzle and everything has to be done just right to get the right configuration. Also, I have tried all of the different ports on the GPU and the on-board HDMI port next to it.

Distros I've tried (all attempted with various kernel parameters eg. acpi=off nomodeset etc):
Ubuntu 14.04 & 15.04 - Boots sometimes with CSM on and CPU forced graphics. No wifi by default. No-go with the Nvidia card, refuses to boot, usually with a plain black or dark purple screen.
Fedora 22 - Simply does not boot no matter what I do and stays on splash screen.
OpenSUSE 13 - Same as Fedora.
Linux Mint - Works like Ubuntu but with more graphical glitches.
Debian - It took me forever to even get to an actual installer with a GUI, so I didn't even bother.
Elementary OS - Works surprisingly well with a few kernel parameters in CPU graphics mode...but still not usable.

I know this particular model is often advertised as SteamOS compatible, and I've heard about plenty of failed attempts to install, but I have yet to try it.

Most of the distros I listed showed some sort of fast ACPI error on a prompt just before booting or attempting to boot.

If someone could please help me find a work-around for this to get my Ubuntu desktop running like it should, I'd be forever grateful. Hopefully I've provided enough information about my PC and my situation to get some help. I just want my Ubuntu. :mad:

Here are my specs, for reference. All of my hardware works perfectly without issues on Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. Hopefully someone is on the same page as me and can help...thanks in advance. 🙂
Asus G20AJ-B07
Windows 10 dev. preview Build 10166
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750
8GB DDR3 RAM
1TB Serial ATA hard drive (7200 rpm)
Intel 4th Generation Core i5 3.2ghz
Intel® Turbo Boost
UEFI/BIOS version - 0703

Hey contact me directly via email, btreeinfinity [at] me.com I can help you, it's a bit tricky if you don't have kernel skills. I have it running perfectly on Arch Linux with the latest Kernel and Steam, I also upgraded to a GTX-970. I'm using EFI, and currently porting Coreboot to the mainboard, becaus F' ASUS for locking us out. Anyways email me, and I'll connect up with you and show you the ropes.

UPDATE!!!!

I fixed it and 15.04 is running smoothly with my GTX 750, dual booted with Windows 10. Games are running as good as they do on Windows, with the Source games running even BETTER. I installed using 15.04 MATE (It has the NVIDIA graphics drivers built into the LiveCD), but I ended up installing Ubuntu desktop with Unity over it after installation; but that's just me. MATE desktop (by default) works with the G20 hardware MUCH better, but I prefer Unity because of the screen space you save. MATE's installation is very very nice and generally less problem-ridden than the normal one. ANOTHER THING: Make sure Compiz is your default window manager!!! It has fixes to common NVIDIA issues!!!!
Here's what I did, if it'll help anyone:

1. Switch to force CPU Graphics mode in the uefi/bios menu. You can leave CSM and Secure Boot settings at their defaults. But "fast boot" should be disabled. Think I also changed the Intel Visualization setting too, but I can't remember. Try both options yourself... sorry 😛
2. If needed, add nomodeset and acpi=off in the kernel boot parameters to get the Live desktop working.
3. Install as normal.
4. Boot into the new installation still in CPU gfx mode (using whatever parameters necessary to reach the desktop, need it be recovery mode or whatever; just reach a usable desktop), and install the "proprietary-tested" drivers from the Additional Drivers application.
5. The most important part!!! Boot back into force GPU mode, and boot with these two parameters:
pci=nocrs pci=realloc

These should be the only two parameters you need when everything is up and running. Make sure you save them to /boot/grub/grub.cfg so you don't have to add these every time.

These are the steps that helped ME to get it all running. I'm sorry if these steps seem a little convoluted, but it'll work out in the end. Depending on your situation, these can vary..but the basics to get it working without problems are here.

Hope this helps someone else out there..the steps and parameters can vary, but in the end the most important part is adding those new two parameters. Finding these settings would have helped me so much and saved me WEEKS of frustration, so I hope it helps someone out there!!! Take it easy 🙂

...is this real life?

btreeinfinity wrote:
Hey contact me directly via email, btreeinfinity [at] me.com I can help you, it's a bit tricky if you don't have kernel skills. I have it running perfectly on Arch Linux with the latest Kernel and Steam, I also upgraded to a GTX-970. I'm using EFI, and currently porting Coreboot to the mainboard, becaus F' ASUS for locking us out. Anyways email me, and I'll connect up with you and show you the ropes.

I got it working, but I appreciate the willingness to help!!! 🙂

tyler4tado
Level 7
Update #2 (lol):
Ubuntu works great most of the time but it's very unstable and something always requires my attention.. Any suggestions on other distros and methods? For stability, I'm thinking Arch because I've heard many good things. Help?