Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    57

    RMA Fears - How do I make sure things go smoothly? G751 touchpad issues - solved

    Greetings,

    I was wondering if anyone on here was actually an ASUS employee or had some kind of authority or access to the company - I noted that the @ASUS was mentioned in the RMA section but that person had left the company some time ago.

    I have a dual issue with my G751 that I can't resolve (one it is missing a rubber screw cover - it is not anywhere around it or floor and it's not in the box or plastic it came in - I don't think it was ever in the system as the others are firmly in place and this one doesn't look like anything was ever in it - no sticky/tacky material...

    The other issue - the main one is that the touchpad is failing - I originally bought with this a ROG Gladius and I use that almost exclusively with the TP turned off with Fn+F9 almost ever time I am on it and so I haven't noted if the TP was actually working - it seemed to be, but when I actually disconnected the Mouse today, the TP does move the cursor around, and sometimes the right button activated a menu or something... and I do get a highlight or such with a cursor over, but the double tap and left select button both do not work and so I can't actually click on anything and make it select with either the TP or the LMB... not sure if that was out of the box either - I got the system in late May and have used it most nights since, and everything else is fine on it...

    I am very nervous however about sending it in for work - I had a bad experience with my prior ASUS where it was really beat up badly but the techs and went from a perfect looking PC to one that looked like someone had beat on it with a hammer... ultimately the RMA people replaced it with a suitable compensation model, but it was still traumatic, since it happened several times over several months for a heat issue that ultimately was the fault of Nvidia's chip and so it was a lemon system.

    I very much do not what that to happen again or with this system - other then the missing rubber bit and the malfunctioning TP - it's in mint perfect condition, and working in tech I always treat my clients materials and systems with TLC, but I know that isn't so with everyone... is there any way I can make sure that my system comes back repaired and in the same perfect shape it is right now?

    Thanks, and I wish I could just have them drop ship the parts ad I could do it myself, it's a very simple system to work on, and plenty of video work on YT to show how it's all put together in there - it's very simple - and I know that the part that is bad is going to be the single top BK as that is all one part... the rubber screw cover is a no brainer... that is just a little plug.

    Anyway, comments, confidence, reassurance, etc... are welcome - hopefully RMAs are going better than a few years ago and all... thanks.

  2. #2
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    107

    My laptop that I RMAed just reached ASUS Service Center, hope I get it back soon. I also sent it back for heat issues will let you know how it goes if you have time to wait - my warranty runs out in November.

  3. #3
    ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array Gps3dx PC Specs
    Gps3dx PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Current: G751JT | Retired: G55VW, G51JX
    MotherboardInc M.2 slot
    Storage #1Samsungs EVO 850 128GB
    Storage #21TB HGST Travelstar 7K1000 (HTS721010A9E630)
    CPU CoolerMother Nature & Thermodynamics laws
    Mouse Logitech MX 518
    Headset/Speakers Logitech T6060
    OS Cleaned installed Windows 10 HOME x64
    Accessory #1 Leap Motion

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Reputation
    71
    Posts
    785

    M8 !
    Trust me when I tell you this: Photograph your laptop from every angle & distance !
    I entered my old G55VW withOUT any scratches and got it back scratch - then, I didn't photgraph it, but I learned in the hard way.
    the 2nd time I sent and got it back they even managed to damage the back cover ( above the battery, behind the screen ) - BUT, this time I had proof.
    Although the hard PROOF, I ended up sending multiple letters to the regional CEO of asus - until they got to their senses.
    never mind that they tried to pick my laptop at list 6 times, each of them failed, because they "suddenly" was out of bags and cardboard for my "very large" 15.6' laptop, and each time they came to pick it up with a 14' bag/cardboard.
    My luck was, ( the bad part ) I left without a laptop for 2.5 months !
    (the good part was ) that although they ordered a spare part on their behalf, it got stuck in customs....so they had to compensate me for their reckless behavior.... which ended in the fast they gave me G751JT totaly new ( my old G55VW was in the last month of service ).
    PLUS ( yes - the story don't end up here ) when they offered me the G751JT - they wrote it comes with BD-writer... but in reality - it wasn't.
    I complained again, and they gave me a check for ~120 eur.

    Lessions learned:
    1. photograph your laptop from every available angle, with quality camera.
    2. (if its legal) record the calls you make with asus's representatives - they got the habit to promise out-loud, then to break their promises afterwards.
    3. Write the sum of the discussions, name of asus's rep, the hour and dates.
    4. Read and know your laptop HW, and known when the tech ppl asus employ, don't really know how to fix and return the laptop to life ( for example, demand that they'll format your HDD on GPT instead of MBR, or that they'll upgrade the win 7 OEM to win 10.... )
    5. stand on the basic principle, that ASUS should, in general, GIVE YOU A SERVICE.

  4. #4
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    57

    Quote Originally Posted by vempatyappu View Post
    My laptop that I RMAed just reached ASUS Service Center, hope I get it back soon. I also sent it back for heat issues will let you know how it goes if you have time to wait - my warranty runs out in November.
    Thanks - I have 60 days on the RMA and I haven't activated the shipping yet - just got it today - so I will wait a bit and see how it goes for you - keep me posted if you would.

  5. #5
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    57

    Quote Originally Posted by Gps3dx View Post
    M8 !
    Trust me when I tell you this: Photograph your laptop from every angle & distance !
    I entered my old G55VW withOUT any scratches and got it back scratch - then, I didn't photgraph it, but I learned in the hard way.
    the 2nd time I sent and got it back they even managed to damage the back cover ( above the battery, behind the screen ) - BUT, this time I had proof.
    Although the hard PROOF, I ended up sending multiple letters to the regional CEO of asus - until they got to their senses.
    never mind that they tried to pick my laptop at list 6 times, each of them failed, because they "suddenly" was out of bags and cardboard for my "very large" 15.6' laptop, and each time they came to pick it up with a 14' bag/cardboard.
    My luck was, ( the bad part ) I left without a laptop for 2.5 months !
    (the good part was ) that although they ordered a spare part on their behalf, it got stuck in customs....so they had to compensate me for their reckless behavior.... which ended in the fast they gave me G751JT totaly new ( my old G55VW was in the last month of service ).
    PLUS ( yes - the story don't end up here ) when they offered me the G751JT - they wrote it comes with BD-writer... but in reality - it wasn't.
    I complained again, and they gave me a check for ~120 eur.

    Lessions learned:
    1. photograph your laptop from every available angle, with quality camera.
    2. (if its legal) record the calls you make with asus's representatives - they got the habit to promise out-loud, then to break their promises afterwards.
    3. Write the sum of the discussions, name of asus's rep, the hour and dates.
    4. Read and know your laptop HW, and known when the tech ppl asus employ, don't really know how to fix and return the laptop to life ( for example, demand that they'll format your HDD on GPT instead of MBR, or that they'll upgrade the win 7 OEM to win 10.... )
    5. stand on the basic principle, that ASUS should, in general, GIVE YOU A SERVICE.
    I was afraid of this - I had a very similar (9 RMA) experience with a G something - it was so bad I have blocked it out, but it's how I got the G71G in it's place a couple years ago...


    I will be ordering a 1080p point and shoot video cam tonight... might as well get that over with - life is telling me to do so I can see, and yea... I agree...

    Strangely I was thinking about it also, I might post up this RMA on my YouTube and that gave me a better idea when I though of you - I know there are many people that have these issues daily, and I bet some of them are worth watching/following... maybe I will put up a tech channel where I do nothing but talk about being a good tech and posting up people RMA pre and post videos... there might be something in that.

    Anyway, yea... it's def. going to be a full length video on it... I am also wondering if I should just demand they replace it with a working unit... this is 2 months old and already that is a bad sign of things to come...

    Black Screen Booting
    TouchPad Buttons not working, double tap not working
    Missing rubber bit
    ... and oddly now sometimes my plug in mouse is not able to activate a click either...

    I am thinking MB issues - and so I am really now thinking simply replace the whole unit, as that is 50% of the unit anyway more or less.

  6. #6
    ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Clintlgm PC Specs
    Clintlgm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G752VY DH72
    MotherboardAsus Z97 Pro WiFi and /Z97 Pro A
    ProcessorI7 4790K
    Storage #1512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    Storage #21 TB Samsun 850 Pro
    CaseCool Master Haf
    OS Win 8.1 Pro and Win 10 Pro
    Clintlgm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Reputation
    111
    Posts
    4,174

    Yes PM cl-albert he is the C ustomer L oylaty Asus Rep for these forums. He can be helpful getting a successful RMA with everything fixed. I haven't seen him post lately but hopefully he is still here
    G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
    512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
    980m GTX 4 GB
    32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

    Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
    Windows 10 Pro
    Z97 -A
    Windows 10 Pro

  7. #7
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    57

    Quote Originally Posted by Clintlgm View Post
    Yes PM cl-albert he is the C ustomer L oylaty Asus Rep for these forums. He can be helpful getting a successful RMA with everything fixed. I haven't seen him post lately but hopefully he is still here
    I saw this name highlighted - but it didn't have a link that was active - I wasn't sure if he was here still. I will give it a look and pm and see if he is still active - I am surprised that Asus being a tech company doesn't actually sell parts... kind of annoying.

  8. #8

  9. #9
    ROG Guru: Green Belt Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Reputation
    25
    Posts
    607

    Yeah, he's here, don't worry about it and just send him a message.
    First official I've seen that stands behind the customer loyalty tag in truth.

    I took extensive photographs of my G751 before I sent it for RMA with a sheet of paper with the date written on it in all the frames.
    I was lucky and had no troubles and got given a board with the M.2 connector that my original one did not have.

  10. #10
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    57

    Victory!!! (Edit here) I have solved the issue - it was a loose connection... and now it is clicking right away and functioning perfectly - so all good.

    Now if I can just get a spare set of the rubber screw plugs for the bottom I will be all set - apparently one was missing and I would like some spares as apparently they can fall out - I thought they where plastic at first and some thing like a rivet... permanent, but it is just rubber and either that one fell out - unlikely, or it was never there - probably more likely... anyway - 99.99%! fixed. (OCD on the rubber thingy).

    Last edited by di Valenti; 08-28-2015 at 11:37 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •