Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

I did an upgrade yesterday and all went smooth. Today I've got my new SSD coming so I will be doing a clean install. Should I just leave the drivers the OS installs(chipset, wifi, etc.) and what about Asus specific? The asus page shows only software for 8.1 for my G771, should I install those?

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array

Personally i always let windows update install every driver possible then ill go to the hardware manufacturer download pages and look for new drivers there to fix anything missing drivers in device manager. My last stop if i cant find the driver anywhere else is the Asus drivers page but they are usually old and outdated drivers. I dont think you need anything from the asus page other than bloatware and the ATK drivers everything else can be found on intel or other sites.
    3d printed parts and accessories for the G751. You know you want something better than OEM ->https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array AQUASTEVAE PC Specs
    AQUASTEVAE PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Crosshair VI EXTREME
    ProcessorRyzen 7 1700
    Memory (part number)32gb GSkill FlareX 3200mhzC14
    Graphics Card #1GIGABYTE 1080 ti EXTREME
    Monitor55" UHDR 4K TV
    Storage #1SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 NVME 500GB
    Storage #2SAMSUNG 951 M.2 PCIe AHCI 512GB
    CPU CoolerNZXT kRAKEN X62
    CaseCOOLERMASTER MAKER 5T
    Power SupplyCORSAIR RM850X
    Keyboard LOGITECH K850 WIRELESS BACKLIT
    Mouse LOGITECH M570 TRACKBALL WIRELESS
    Headset 2.4GHz Wireless Headphones with Detachable Mic and Rechargeable Battery
    Mouse Pad LOLOLOLOLOLOL....
    Headset/Speakers VIZIO SOUND BAR, SUBWOOFER AND SURROUND SPEAKERS
    OS WIN 10 PRO

8.1 drivers work well on win 10. or you can just let wu do all the work. either way it should all go well. which ssd?
    CoolerMaster Maker 5T - ASUS CROSSHAIR VI EXTREME - 55-inch UHD 4k Display - AMD Ryzen 7 1700 - NZXT Kraken X62 - 7 CoolerMaster/NZXT RGB Case Fans W/ HUE+ - Gigabyte AORUS 1080 TI EXTREME - 32GB GSkill FlareX 3200Mhz DDR4 - Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Samsung 951 M.2 AHCI 512GB - Samsung EVO 840 1TB SSD - Crucial MX100 SATA 3 500GB SSD - WD BLUE 8TB HDD - Logitech K350 wireless wave keyboard - Logitech M570 wireless trackball - Dual booting WIN 10 Pro Fall Creators Edition

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by AQUASTEVAE View Post
    8.1 drivers work well on win 10. or you can just let wu do all the work. either way it should all go well. which ssd?
    I just did a clean UEFI install using an USB for Win 10.1 and my G771JW is recognized as a desktop computer. WU messed something up. Running Intel Driver Update Utility says no devices supported.

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Clintlgm PC Specs
    Clintlgm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G752VY DH72
    MotherboardAsus Z97 Pro WiFi and /Z97 Pro A
    ProcessorI7 4790K
    Storage #1512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    Storage #21 TB Samsun 850 Pro
    CaseCool Master Haf
    OS Win 8.1 Pro and Win 10 Pro

Yep you were supposed to do the upgrade/update first then if you still want to do clean install you can with no activation issues. For now I would reinstall the latest Chipset drivers available on Asus Support Downloads that might help. Also look Asus should have some new drivers for windows 10 up by now!

Lots of 10 help on this forum http://www.tenforums.com/forum.php
    G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
    512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
    980m GTX 4 GB
    32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
    Windows 10 Pro
    Z97 -A
    Windows 10 Pro

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by aeolisio View Post
    Personally i always let windows update install every driver possible then ill go to the hardware manufacturer download pages and look for new drivers there to fix anything missing drivers in device manager. My last stop if i cant find the driver anywhere else is the Asus drivers page but they are usually old and outdated drivers. I dont think you need anything from the asus page other than bloatware and the ATK drivers everything else can be found on intel or other sites.
    Asus drivers are out of date on specific laptop/computer model driver pages, but you can find new driver releases by doing the following:

Instead of searching for your model (ie. G751), you need to search for the specific driver utility you want. I usually have a page open for my model's driver page to determine exactly what I need, and then I open a new search page under Asus Download/Support page to search for things like - ATK, Wireless, LAN, Sound, IMEI, Intel RST, Chipset.

Once under those categories, it has drivers for a wide range of devices, but if you know your hardware and general driver version history, you can see which one you need and download the latest driver for your laptop. It's a bit sketchy if you are not sure what you are looking for, but once you know, you can get latest drivers for all Asus products.

Also, it's a good idea to use USB drives for all your backups, like Asus Backtracker etc. I have a USB for my Backtracker backup, and another for Windows 8.1 clean install, and soon for my Windows 10 clean install. It's like keeping copies of older Windows versions as backup/trophies on a USB instead of CD/DVD now. I swear by the Rufus utility for making bootable USB drives using Windows ISOs too.

Quote Originally Posted by AQUASTEVAE View Post
    Hi AQUASTEVAE,
    I'm also stuck on the drivers thing, want to make sure I pick the right stuff before letting anything install.
    Could you give some details on which drivers are best to pick and from where also in the case of a clean install of Windows 10 ?

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array AQUASTEVAE PC Specs
    AQUASTEVAE PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Crosshair VI EXTREME
    ProcessorRyzen 7 1700
    Memory (part number)32gb GSkill FlareX 3200mhzC14
    Graphics Card #1GIGABYTE 1080 ti EXTREME
    Monitor55" UHDR 4K TV
    Storage #1SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 NVME 500GB
    Storage #2SAMSUNG 951 M.2 PCIe AHCI 512GB
    CPU CoolerNZXT kRAKEN X62
    CaseCOOLERMASTER MAKER 5T
    Power SupplyCORSAIR RM850X
    Keyboard LOGITECH K850 WIRELESS BACKLIT
    Mouse LOGITECH M570 TRACKBALL WIRELESS
    Headset 2.4GHz Wireless Headphones with Detachable Mic and Rechargeable Battery
    Mouse Pad LOLOLOLOLOLOL....
    Headset/Speakers VIZIO SOUND BAR, SUBWOOFER AND SURROUND SPEAKERS
    OS WIN 10 PRO

yeah, what i did was load the wifi, trackpad and chipset from asus's page, 8.1 drivers, and searched and got the latest sound drivers on realtek's, and nvidia's sites. i got rid of all of asus's drivers of crapware that they load on this computer, like game software. then i upgraded to windows ten, and ran update several times from within windows 10, until all of my drivers were up to date. asus does have a windows 10 driver for atk. make sure to load this last. good luck. i have had almost zero problems with windows ten. if you make sure to get all of the right drivers downloaded, it will all go perfectly well.
    Last edited by AQUASTEVAE; 07-31-2015 at 03:47 AM.
    CoolerMaster Maker 5T - ASUS CROSSHAIR VI EXTREME - 55-inch UHD 4k Display - AMD Ryzen 7 1700 - NZXT Kraken X62 - 7 CoolerMaster/NZXT RGB Case Fans W/ HUE+ - Gigabyte AORUS 1080 TI EXTREME - 32GB GSkill FlareX 3200Mhz DDR4 - Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Samsung 951 M.2 AHCI 512GB - Samsung EVO 840 1TB SSD - Crucial MX100 SATA 3 500GB SSD - WD BLUE 8TB HDD - Logitech K350 wireless wave keyboard - Logitech M570 wireless trackball - Dual booting WIN 10 Pro Fall Creators Edition

Thanks for explaining I do hope nothing will go wrong yeah I'l make sure I install the right drivers, after all the updating and such did you use the windows cleaning tool to get rid of any leftovers or something like ccleaner ?

ROG Member Array

]Can anyone tell me whether this looks good? I'm kinda bummed because Intel Driver Update Utility says no devices detected on Windows 10 and when I go to manually search for drivers it only shows me Desktop Board drivers, as if I have a desktop motherboard.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	823.4 KB 
ID:	50745

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast