cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows loading freeze, entering & exiting BIOS resolves it - SOLVED!

habbich
Level 7
Motherboard model:
Rampage V Extreme/U3.1

UEFI Version:
1401/1502 (doesn't matter which one)

CPU:
Intel I7 5960x

Memory kit part number (s) and amount in GB:
G.SKill Ripjaws4 - F4-3000C15Q-16GRR, 4x4GB kit (3000MHz)

GPU:
Sapphire Radeon R9 290

SSD/HDDs/Optical drives:
M2 Samsung SM951 - 125GB
Samsung 850 EVO - 512GB
Bunch of other Sata HDDs
Pioneer DVD burner

PSU:
Corsair 850W TX i think

USB Devices (model/version number):
MS Xbox Adapter
MS Natural keyboard 9000
3M Ergonomic Mouse

Monitor:
DEL U3415W

CPU Cooler:
Noctua NH-D15

PC CASE:
Lian Li X2000

Operating system:
Windows 8.1 Pro x64 activated

Drivers Installed (include version):
Newest from Asus site.

Any third Party temp/voltage software installed:
No

System Overclocked (provide details)?
Yes, delta from stock:
-36x multiplier (all cores) - 4.5GHz, 125MHz bus speed
-XMP profile (SA not tempered with - all auto)

Issue

First of all, hello everybody, it's my first post here, sadly reporting a probable bug...
I've already reported the issue to Asus support, but since it is an OC case they've said I should turn to you guys here.
Hope you can help me out.

Got a problem with booting up windows...
The problem is easily reproduced (every time) on my machine. Running an Intel I7 5960 @4.5GHz
(bus speed 125MHzm 36 multiplier) and G.skill Ripjaws in XMP profile (3GHz)... nothing out of ordinary.
I've ran all possible benchmarks and stress tests (CPU and memory) for a couple of days and
all passed flawlessly (RealBench among others). The whole system is stable as a rock. At least if I can get it to boot to windows...
The thing is that my system does not boot to windows (get a freeze on the ROG loading screen and later a blue screen) in 90% of the time,
but if I press the DEL key and enter BIOS before the windows bootup and not change anything just press F10 (save setting) and ENTER,
the system will go into reset and boot into windows flawlessly.

I did that more than 40 times and the system always booted to windows without any issues. If I just turn on the system or do a reset without entering BIOS prior
the system will probably hang. It never hangs in POST stage though.

It really looks like a glitch of some sort… How is the boot procedure different if I enter BIOS and not change anything, press F10 and ENTER (auto restart afterwards), compared
to a regular boot?

I've tried this with UEFI secure boot or without (pretty much tinkered with all the boot options) - it is the same. In BIOS 1401/1502, also no change.

Update 18.8.2015 - SOLVED:

Found the reason - SATA support and its Boot drive only option.
If I save with the "Boot Drive Only" option, windows loader always freezes, otherwise it boots up normally.
It wasn't an OC issue after all.
18 REPLIES 18

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hey habbich :)...does this happen if you set everything to F5 stock defaults?

Ive read so many posts on this issue. And I too have this problem as well, but i dont get a blue screen, just a freeze.. Sometimes even at stock settings.
From what I have read it is a USB issue many times.
I am presently testing start up/shut down with 1 usb device disconnected at a time. Its difficult though because i use a usb mouse and keyboard.
So I too am interested .

Chino
Level 15
When your system hangs, what is which QCODE is the DEBUG LED displaying? Also look beside the 24 pin power connector to see if any QLEDs remain lit.

habbich
Level 7
@ Arne Saknussemm
No problems running on stock.

@Chino
QCODE on the debug LED on the MB is AA. No other (additional) LEDs lit on the board near the 24pin connector.
Freeze on the loading screen and (not always) BSOD (machine_exception or smth - then freeze - percentage not raising).

Praz
Level 13
Hello

With all other settings the same lower the CPU multiplier one tick and test if the freezing remains.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yeah, AA is the normal code you should have...this is after the BIOS has handed over to OS

If it's OK at stock it must be something to do with the OC...so something is stressing at startup or something is not very stable and beyond it's tipping point with the OC...

Try unplugging USB stuff and just keep mouse and keyboard...if they are in USB2.0 ports try the usb 3.0 ports or vice versa.

Maybe try a higher boot voltage for the RAM or up VCCSA a notch to see if it's RAM related...

That RAM runs with bclk at 100 flawlessly here by the way if you wanted to try that...

JimGamer
Level 9
Hi there
Also of my behalf a good day to you guys .
I have almost the same problem.
My system is being unstable since a week ago .
When i start up i have no icons at all . they come after a min or so on a ssd ADATA 128GB .starting up is a real problem since then .
IAlso since then i have problems with my Razer Mouse and Keyboard.
I did a format so again Windows 8.1 Pro install went ok no problem but then when i had to put my personal info my keyboard and mouse went off could not fill in nothing.plugd in my keyboard and mouse in a other usb.no result. after all it seem to work after trying to plug in other usb's.
After that seems to work.installation went ok from Windows then again i had a fast boot.untill i start updating again.system became unstable again.
takes like a min to start when i come in windows no icons at all .Software seems to have problems at start up.
When the computer started up there are no issue's anymore.
This is weird stuff.
Many regards
Jim.

PS : Sorry for my english im a little nerves from all this.

JimGamer wrote:
Hi there
Also of my behalf a good day to you guys .
I have almost the same problem.
My system is being unstable since a week ago .
When i start up i have no icons at all . they come after a min or so on a ssd ADATA 128GB .starting up is a real problem since then .
IAlso since then i have problems with my Razer Mouse and Keyboard.
I did a format so again Windows 8.1 Pro install went ok no problem but then when i had to put my personal info my keyboard and mouse went off could not fill in nothing.plugd in my keyboard and mouse in a other usb.no result. after all it seem to work after trying to plug in other usb's.
After that seems to work.installation went ok from Windows then again i had a fast boot.untill i start updating again.system became unstable again.
takes like a min to start when i come in windows no icons at all .Software seems to have problems at start up.
When the computer started up there are no issue's anymore.
This is weird stuff.
Many regards
Jim.

PS : Sorry for my english im a little nerves from all this.

iam also getting the same when i switched from my 840 Evo PRO to M.2 ssd

M. 2 was installed for 2 weeks all fine and then last Friday when i start up i have no icons at all . they come after a min or so starting up is a real problem since then as very random and wont reboot.
Also since then i have problems with my Razer Mouse and Keyboard and many programs with dll errors . Also some windows icons are blank white pages

i am now on my 3rd attempt of w8.1 installation left bios on default settings and have not installed windows updates lets see how it goes

Really thought this was my M.2 SSD but now i see other people have the same issuse on standard ssd's

Wonder if its a windows update causing this

Chino
Level 15