cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the V Extreme Too Problematic?

Ruok2bu
Level 7
I'm getting a new gaming computer soon and i was leaning toward the RAMPAGE V EXTREME/U3.1, but after seeing all the problems everyone here is reporting im not so sure anymore.

Most of the problems ive read are from people who overclock. I won't overclock, is there anyone here who doesn't overclock and still have problems?
9 REPLIES 9

Chino
Level 15
These are support forums after all. So the majority, if not all, posts will be about problems. I don't remember anyone coming here to give positive feedback and say how much they enjoy the motherboard. lol

Praz
Level 13
Hello

As you have noted most reported issues are from the expectation of plug n' play overclocking. The most common non-overclocking issues encountered are using USB devices that do not properly support Intel's latest USB specifications. These USB issues apply to all X99 motherboards regardless of model or manufacturer as well as the Z97 platform. Below is a link to a R5E specific thread if you fell like reading through 600+ p[ages.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1510001/asus-rampage-v-extreme-owners-thread

mdzcpa
Level 12
Keep in mind the RVE is meant for overclocking. If you aren't planning on overclocking, I suggest you take a look at the ASUS X99-DELUXE LGA 2011-v3. It's cheaper, loaded with options, and is a very stable motherboard. In my opinion the RVE is a great motherboard as well. I run it overclocked every day as noted in my specs below. It literally never crashes or fails me. But, it did take some custom tweaking of the bios to get me where I want. It's not a beginners board. But it's not hard to iron out either. As noted above, folks here come for issues so it's not a balanced assessment.

Vlada011
Level 10
For me need reliable board too. I overclock but always I keep at least 200-300MHz under last stable clock.
I7-5820K i plan to keep on 4.0GHz... i7-3770K i keep overclocked on 4.5GHz but only because he is stable and on 4.8GHz.
When I mean stable that's 12h of Prime95 with AVX instructions and 90% of memory, not like people today work with Haswell AIDA64.
I could run on 5.0GHz AIDA64 I think...
But I suppose I spend my luck for CPU because I had some crazy sample i7-3770K he pass LinX AVX on 4.5GHz with 1170V.
At least 5 want to buy him. He 3 years work on 4.5GHz 1.2V 24/7.
But I hope I will pull something and from i7-5820K. Batch J Malay, memory is QVL with R5E and other ASUS boards.

I really don't know what to do, X99M-WS, Rampage 5 Extreme. If I buy R5E I can say goodbye to USB 3.1 standard.
Because someone who design boards as R5E didn't thought what will happen if someone with CPU 28 lanes install only single graphic card,
Sound card in PCI-Ex1 slot and USB 3.1 Port card.
Graphic card will work same as you install one more graphic in second slot on x8 and maybe something else will not work, Sound card example.
I'm not sure is it possible to USB 3.1 use lanes from PCH in black slot together with sound card in PCI-E x1 and single graphic card in
first slot to work on x16 3.0.

X99-M WS have nice internal USB 3.1 and one little PCI-E x1 for Sound Blaster Z.
But still no date of that board. I like WS board, because I'm not fan of fast changing CPU and board. They only need to provide everything necessary for graphic cards and I'm sick of new chipsets, sockets and CPU with thermal paste and 5% improvements every 10 months and this year people have chance to build 6 core CPU for little cheaper than usually. Who knows what will happen for 2 years maybe Intel decide to ask 500-550$ for 6 cores.

GoNz0-
Level 10
Afraid tech supports near to none existent so I would go for a better supported board that quite a few owners have done after returning for refund. I hope when this one packs in Amazon do the right thing and refund me as I have had enough of UK support (lack of it)

jrmcdou
Level 10
They have just about the worst customer support in the industry but one of the best motherboards. EVGA from experience has top of the line service with very quick turnaround.
Rampage VI Extreme bios 1503
Core i9 7980XE @ 4.4ghz all cores
64 gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600
2x RTX 2080 Ti FE NvLink/SLI
2x Samsung 970 Pro 1tb NVME
Corsair AX1600i
Corsair 1000D case
1x Dell U3818DW 38" Curved Ultrawide and 2x Dell S2716DG 27" 1ms GSYNC 2560x1440 144 hz
Win 10 Pro x64

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hi Ruok2bu🙂

The RVE is a great board and a great all rounder. If you want to OC it has everything there, if you want a great gaming rig it has all the power and sound and room for multi GPUs.

All you have to remember is that running RAM outside of Intel's specs...and/or running your CPU outside Intel stock is never guaranteed. People who have problems are those that buy high frequency RAM, multiple kits of RAM expecting them to run together, have targets for OCing that their CPUs cannot reach, etc. If you are realistic about your own skills andplan accordingly..If you run your CPU at stock, choose a single kit of 16 or 32GB 2400Mhz RAM and get a good PSU to power your GPU(s) and the system, then I would think you have no problems.

It has been said already that the forum is of course a magnet for problem posts....reading those will give you a wrong idea about the board. Reading those will however give you some idea of the support for the board and frankly that is lacking, from my own experience and from many on these pages. To an extent true with many companies though I think others do a lot better.

Have more trouble with x99 than x79. Hopefully there will be fixed by Asus

Eta_Carinae
Level 7
Ruok2bu wrote:
I'm getting a new gaming computer soon and i was leaning toward the RAMPAGE V EXTREME/U3.1, but after seeing all the problems everyone here is reporting im not so sure anymore.

Most of the problems ive read are from people who overclock. I won't overclock, is there anyone here who doesn't overclock and still have problems?

I've owned the RAMPAGE V EXTREME/U3.1 edition board for about a month now and I have not had any problems, currently using an Intel Core i7-5930K at sock settings (I have not overclocked yet, but plan on eventually doing so).

I could not be happier with this board. I have not had any problems, from installation to configuration to every day use, and have never used such a quality motherboard. I am new to Asus products and with my experience so far with this board I am planning on sticking around for a very long time. This motherboard just reeks of quality from the moment you open it to each time you fire up your machine. I thought I had owned quality boards in the past in prior custom builds, but this one blows them all away.

In fact, the superior quality that I've experienced with this motherboard is what currently has me holding out for the Asus ROG version of the new GTX 980 Ti graphics card, waiting for the Matrix edition. I was considering getting the EVGA super clocked edition but after such a positive experience with this motherboard I have decided that ASUS ROG products will be my new go to for all major components.

I can't recommend this product enough... please keep in mind that many folks come on here to complain, as someone else mentioned, but there are countless users out there enjoying their motherboards without issue.

Cheers,
Eta