cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faulty ROG GPU load indicator LED - GTX 780 ti Matrix

The_Night_Kid
Level 7
Hello to anyone reading this,

I have a pair of GTX 780 ti Matrix edition cards in SLI.
When the GPU is idle, the GPU load indicator LED should be blue, but one of my cars will be permanently red.
While the PC is posting it will start out blue, then as Windows loads, it will change from blue, to green, and then quickly to red, and then stay red.
I have checked the cards GPU load through GPU-Z and the card is not being stressed, but the LED is still red.
I have also tried swapping the cards around on the motherboard and it doesn't matter what PCI-E slot it's connected to.
Other than the LED problem, the card seems to perform flawlessly...

Anyone else have this problem or have any idea as to how this may be fixed? The card is still under warranty, should I send it back?
I was hoping to water-cool the cards someday and then the stock cooler and LED would be removed anyway,
but that may never happen and in the meantime I am stuck with two cards with miss-matching colours...

Thanks for your time.
3 REPLIES 3

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Is the card downclocking at idle an showing as PCIe 1.1 when idle in GPUz...i.e. is it all working as it should except for the colour change?

It's kind of funny but the number of people I have seen on here complaining that they want the steady red light and no changes....maybe you could sell it for a profit LOL

Have you tried a different SLI bridge...not sure if that would help but something to try...

Thanks for the reply,

From memory, the card was down clocking to around 800-ish mhz, but to be sure i would have to check when i got home (at work ATM). I didn't look at anything to do with the PCIe... I can check once i get home.
The card does seem to perform as expected. I tested both my cards individually and both cards scored around 10 000 in fire strike and about 16000 with both cards running in SLI.
As you said, I would probably prefer the LED to just be red all the time, but i have 2 cards in SLI and they don't match. (OCD going crazy)
I don't think SLI bridge would matter because it still acts the same whether it is by itself or paired up in SLI.

I haven't had much luck with these Matrix card LEDs... I have another PC that i had a single HD7970 Matrix with a LED that was light blue at idle, then i bought a second hand one off Ebay that ended up having a green LED at idle, so i have 2 PCs with miss matching LEDs... yay!

Seriously, take note ASUS, from what i can gather, no one wants a load indicator... your ROG colour theme is red, so just have a red LED, or something RGB...