ROG Member Array

New GL551JW extended to ACER monitor S231HL blurry text

Hi everyone,

I just got the GL551JW-ds74 and I'm loving it... great machine and it replaced my alienware 14.

I have an issue when extending to my ACER monitor model: S231HL via HDMI. with the 1920x1080 resolution the text is somewhat fuzzy, it's perfect looking on the laptop screen. Is this a limitation of the monitor? it's a few years old. Or just a setting I'm missing? From what I can see this monitor supports 1920x1080. Not everything looks fuzzy, for instance if I open up the windows 8 touch tile menu, all those graphics and text look very sharp and clean.

thanks.
    Dan

ROG Enthusiast Array

Sounds to me like you're running the default DPI, and the "Fuzzy" you're seeing is just an app that doesn't support high DPI and is scaling. Can confirm with a screenshot of said fuzzy (If it is the display, we won't see the "fuzzy", but if it's the DPI, we will see the "fuzzy")

ASUS ROG GL551JW
    Intel Core i7-4720HQ 16GB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

ROG Member Array

I attached 2 good examples. On my ext monitor it looks funny, when i drag the windows back over to the ASUS laptop screen it looks crystal clear
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos Capture2.JPG  

Capture.JPG  

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by accely@gmail.com View Post
    I attached 2 good examples. On my ext monitor it looks funny, when i drag the windows back over to the ASUS laptop screen it looks crystal clear
    Those images look okay to me, but it's a little hard to tell due to the forums compressing them. When the windows move from display to display, do you notice any size changing? Move the window slowly, and when 50% of the window switches displays does the size of the window change? If so, that means one of the displays is running at a different DPI than the other. If it does not, then something's up with that display.

ASUS ROG GL551JW
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by bartat404 View Post
    Those images look okay to me, but it's a little hard to tell due to the forums compressing them. When the windows move from display to display, do you notice any size changing? Move the window slowly, and when 50% of the window switches displays does the size of the window change? If so, that means one of the displays is running at a different DPI than the other. If it does not, then something's up with that display.
    Yes, when i drag the window from one to the other it resizes at the half way mark, so it seems different DPIs.. how do I resolve that? or find out what each is running?

ROG Enthusiast Array

Yes, when i drag the window from one to the other it resizes at the half way mark, so it seems different DPIs.. how do I resolve that? or find out what each is running?
    The following link has the steps and screenshots to show you how to do this.
    https://mega.nz/#!U5JXSbJJ!MGBonn5AM...iFT0XCExCpZOe8

ASUS ROG GL551JW
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

ROG Member Array

thanks for the help. BTW, I do it the same results on my laptop screen now... it's not a huge deal, maybe I'm being too picky but I feel like this isnt right and I've never experienced it before on other machines

Edit: My Acer monitor is crystal clear now.. and the laptop display is the one with the 'fuzzy' text.. very odd. I did run through the clear text wizard to make some adjustments. Guess I'll keep it like this if possible!
    Last edited by accely@gmail.com; 07-19-2015 at 05:27 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

thanks for the help. BTW, I do it the same results on my laptop screen now... it's not a huge deal, maybe I'm being too picky but I feel like this isnt right and I've never experienced it before on other machines

Edit: My Acer monitor is crystal clear now.. and the laptop display is the one with the 'fuzzy' text.. very odd. I did run through the clear text wizard to make some adjustments. Guess I'll keep it like this if possible!
    You want to make sure they're both set to "Smaller" 100% to get rid of the fuzzy.

ASUS ROG GL551JW
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

ROG Member Array

Thanks bartat!!! That fixed it )

Option III: Windows 7, 8 and Server 2012

Right-click the desktop and select Screen resolution
    Select Make text and other items larger or smaller
    Set the DPI setting to Smaller - 100%
    Select Apply
    Select Log off now