cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VII Impact not able to boot

tzili
Level 7
Hi everyone,

I'm writing here because this seems to be an official support forum for ROG products.
I've purchased an Asus Maximus VII Impact motherboard thinking that this must be the best possible base for my new mini-itx system. The problem is that I'm not able to boot my system. The full configuration is listed below:

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Impact
CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k
Graphic card: Gigabyte Nvidia Gtx 970 Mini Itx (GV-N970IXOC-4GD)
RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8 GB 2400 MHz DDR3 (HX324C11T3K2/16)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO, 500 GB SSD
Power Supply: Cooler Master V750 (750W)
CPU Cooler: SilverStone SST-TD03-E
Case: SilverStone Sugo SG13

With the first board, my system was always ending up on A2 q-code and sometimes 99. I've checked everything that was possible: connections, the RAM modules (by connecting them separately in each of the two slots), the SSD drive by removing it, the graphic card by removing it. I've also updated the BIOS using the Flashback feature. All these with no success.
I've sent back the motherboard and today I've received another one. The problem is pretty much the same. The difference is that now I'm always stuck in q-code 99.

What can I do more? I'm thinking to return the second board, to order something from another brand and to never come back to Asus ever again. I consider the situation totally unacceptable especially when we talk about a product which is 40-50% more expensive than any other similar product out there.
16 REPLIES 16

tzili
Level 7
I've done a BIOS update also on the second board with no success. The q-code shown is the same: 99. Currently, the system has only the CPU and one RAM module connected. Very concerning is that sometimes the system stops and starts by itself. Judging by the number of similar issues reported all over the internet, these products seem to be faulty in general and they kind of give you the feeling of something very unreliable, therefore cheap. Shame on you Asus. I will return this board as well and buy something else. And yes....thanks for your great customer service.

Nate152
Hello tzili

Welcome to the ROG forum.

Before you go bashing on the motherboard I don't think that's the problem. Code 99 is usually a gpu related issue whether it be power to your gpu or connectivity with your monitor.

Chino
Level 15

tzili
Level 7
I already done that. Actually, that was the first thing I've done. Each time when I'm checking to see if something is happening on the monitor, I' verifying both connections, HDMI and DP.

PS: The monitor is a Dell 2515H. The monitor works fine when connected to the notebook.

PS2: New RAM kit is on the way. The same type. Could it be because of this kit? I see nothing wrong with it. The voltage is 1.65V the same as many DDR3 2400 modules from the Qualified Vendors List.

Extro
Level 7
Hi,

from my experience in the past as I had A2 issue it was mainly related to the GPU (GPU RAM). It was a MSI z77 board + AMD HD7970 from PowerColor. The change of the MB to another model did not bring any change. I only could solve the issue by changing the GPU.
It was replaced by MSI HD7970 lightning, later a R9 290 PCS+ from powercolor; both worked well w/o any A2 occuring.

On my current setup
CPU: i7-4790k
Mainboard: Asus M7I
RAM: Kingston HyperX DIMM 16GB DDR3-2400 Kit (HX324C11T3K2/16, XMP-Beast-Serie)
SSD: Samsung 840 EVO, 500 GB
GPU: Inno3D Geforce GTX 970 OC 4GB HerculeZ X2
PSU: SiverStone SX500-LG

So as you can see I have similar RAM and it's working well, even it's not on the official 'supported list'.

As you already excluded the GPU, it may be the RAM (A2 = legacy device) or the Monitor.

So wait at least for the new RAM kit to counter check it, I would even try to get your hand on the other type RAM to be sure.

PS: the board is great, but for me the m.2 slot is not recognizing any drives I put in there 😞

Extro
Level 7
An additional Idea would be to check all the USB devices connected to the board.
Some time they also may cause A2-Code. (e.g. Firmware <-> BIOS conflict)

tzili
Level 7
Thanks a lot for your help. The new RAM has just arrived. I've managed to borrow two HP 1GB DDR3 1333MHz (p/n 500208-061) modules. Tonight I will try them all. If this is not getting anywhere, with the graphic card not being installed, I can only conclude that either the mainboard is defective either the processor.

The mainboard behaviour is inconsistent. Yesterday after a while, the system was able to get over the q-code 99 just to end up at D7. After going through all kind of states, it stays for 1-2 seconds at 99 and switches to D7 and stays there.

PS: Extro, I'm sorry to say this, but a board which is not able to function according to specifications, the same specification which were the selling point, that board is not great at all. Really. Actually is kind of crap. I know it may be smart at some points and it ticks a lot of checkboxes, but in the end a company which sells products not being able to work accord to their own official specifications deserves the bankruptcy.

Nate152

tzili
Level 7
Yes, several times. By switching off the power, pulling out the power cable from the PSU, removing the battery, keeping pressed the Start button for several seconds. However, I'm not very sure if this is the right procedure.