cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus RoG G74Sx-BBK8 issues

RazorWolf
Level 7
I am having multiple issues with this unit, i bought it used through private sale. Its not stolen and gave already checked through local PD and i called asus tech support to make sure everything was ok.

Issue 1. There is a Bios Administration password. I need it removed because i personally dont like them.

Issue 2. The charger i recieved with the unit is not the charger for this system, so it overheats. I plan on buying a adequate replacement on Amazon.

Issue 3. I am not sure if the battery is any good so i plan on replacing as well.

Issue 4. I did manage to reload Windows 7 HP 64- bit through a usb flash drive, now that i have a working OS i have loaded games on the system. I get about 10 minutes of play and the whole system shuts off, now i dont know if thats because of the battery and charger. But it seems kinda odd for the system to completely cut out.
3 REPLIES 3

marcus_anciaux
Level 7
RazorWolf -
Congrats on obtaining one kick-butt gaming laptop...

Re Issue #4: My friend owns one like yours that initially was shutting down almost instantly on
startup. He discovered that shut downs were based on thermal over temp due to clogging of
the air flow channels (with bug parts uck!) and sub-standard Thermal Paste on the CPU.
He cleaned the heatsink and CPU, added top quality Arctic thermal paste and has had ZERO
problems since.

If your cause is the same, this might be one solution to consider...

Good Luck!

RazorWolf
Level 7
Thank you marcus.anciuax, i have already done a good cleaning on the machine. dust was horrid. when i get the chance ill break down the system again and apply new thermal paste to the cpu and to video card if needed, if the overheat threshold was set in the bios to a low temp i am screwed cause its currently locked by admin password and i dont know what it is, been half tempted to buy a new mainboard for it but they are expensive. wish i could get passed the bios password. i know now days those passwords are stored in the epprom which is impossible to recovery a password with out brinking the system.