cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG G751 and i7 4720HQ : Overclocking Specs and safe margins Guide.

N8Gamez
Level 7
Ok I am happily a newbie with an ASUS ROG G751JY, a "Real Gaming Rig", and I was looking for somewhere that has a listing of "Safe" margins for overclocking, as well as some suggested safe settings.
If you have an i7 4720hq share your specs here so others can find safe zones to overclock and get their experience going.
Please share the tool used and specs before and after for an understanding of the overclocking. Help others to learn to overclock like a pro too, by showing some guide line settings or safe zones that open the power contained within our processors.

Thanks, N8.
1 REPLY 1

hmscott
Level 12
N8Gamez wrote:
Ok I am happily a newbie with an ASUS ROG G751JY, a "Real Gaming Rig", and I was looking for somewhere that has a listing of "Safe" margins for overclocking, as well as some suggested safe settings.
If you have an i7 4720hq share your specs here so others can find safe zones to overclock and get their experience going.
Please share the tool used and specs before and after for an understanding of the overclocking. Help others to learn to overclock like a pro too, by showing some guide line settings or safe zones that open the power contained within our processors.
Thanks, N8.

N8Gamez, the tools we all use are posted throughout the forum, and a search on Intel Extreme Tuning Utility - or just XTU will bring up lots of good threads.

It's the same tuning for all the Haswell CPU's, increase the Cores to max, increase Cache multi to max, and if you can take the time - find a good undervolt setting for your CPU - the range is from -20mv - -125mV.

To OC the GPU you can use several tools, MSI Afterburner 3.x/4.x, EVGA, and even Asus GPU Tweak Tool for Graphics cards works on non-Optimus laptops like your G751JY.

Again, search the forums as I don't have personal experience with numbers for the 4720/980m - but there are lots of people here who have OC'd into stable numbers they can share with you.

As for temp/hardware inventory tools, I use CPU-Z, GPU-Z, hwinfo64 (beta), and AIDA 64 Engineer version.

Some like Speccy from Piriform - but don't get thrown by the memory speeds jumping around or being inaccurrate as it has been on some releases - the rest of the info is good.

I also recommend ccleaner (piriform) and ccenhancer (singularlabs).

The vendors put limits into the CPU/GPU to make them safe, even when OC'ing - the actual OC is really unlocking the original spec for the Intel CPU - they ship it turned down in case the place it ends up doesn't have good cooling. Same for Nvidia - along with some headroom allowed for the "next-gen" product 🙂

Have fun!

PS: Please post G751 questions to the G751 forum, that's where the G751 users hang out, and you will get lots more responses there. If you hadn't PM'd me about this post, i would have never seen it 🙂

https://rog.asus.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?198-G751-G771-G551-and-GL552-Gaming-Notebooks