cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie Overclocking mistake #1, Where is the G751jy CMOS battery located?

N8Gamez
Level 7
Ok I just pushed my limit with over clocking my intel i7 2.6ghz and need to clear the cmos settings so I can use the display again, and the laptop in general. I have carefully removed keyboard and can see motherboard but not the cmos battery. Help please.

I have an ASUS G751jy-db72.
Thanks.
24 REPLIES 24

N8Gamez
Level 7
Anyone know where to locate the CMOS battery??

OneMoar
Level 7
grab a cup of coffee you have work todo

you are looking at needing to remove the topcover and or motherboard(depending on if its on the back or front of the board) to get to the battery as well as unhooking the main battiery behind the hinges on the display

OneMoar
Level 7
pictures (battery is in the last pic of the thread)
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?59354-G751JY-Disassembly-Pics
good luck :roll:

joshindaphils
Level 11
While I am not familiar with the exact workings of Intel's XTU, I am fairly certain it is a pure software implementation. Someone that knows for sure please step in and confirm / correct.

I do not believe resetting the BIOS will help you out.

Regarding the CMOS battery, a full teardown is needed to access it as it resides stuck to the underside of of the MB. Pics on my thread here: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?59354-G751JY-Disassembly-Pics

*EDIT*
Ninja'ed!

if I am reading the op correctly he did all the tweaking at the bios level so the machine is refusing to post

Any other ideas how to clear the settings so I can boot?

to clear the cmos both the Main battery bank,CMOS battery and AC power must be removed

you then need to press the power button a couple of times to clear any residual power from the system
if that doesn't work then you likely fried something which is pretty rare unless you did something really stupid
another remote possibility is that the bios crashed try the failed bios flash recovery instructions for your laptop

N8Gamez
Level 7
Thanks for being here guys. I used the intel tool to adjust the voltage up and clock speed. After reboor no screen. I did remove cmos battery cable from the motherboard for 5 mins but no luck. Any way out of this guys? I cant seem to clear the settings and have no screen to work with.

N8Gamez wrote:
Thanks for being here guys. I used the intel tool to adjust the voltage up and clock speed. After reboor no screen. I did remove cmos battery cable from the motherboard for 5 mins but no luck. Any way out of this guys? I cant seem to clear the settings and have no screen to work with.

wow, I did not know the XTU is that dangerous, good 2 know, good luck!