cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG 751JT boot to slow

RazvanVL
Level 7
Hello!
My name is Razvan and i got new Asus ROG G751JT. My notebook came only with 1tb 7200rpm hdd but I bought a Samsung EVO 850 SSD for him and i installed windows 8.1 on it.
Now my problem is: my notebook boot very slow. After ROG logo in my upper left corner appear a flashing line and after that windows logo.
What could be the problem?
Please help me.
THANKS!

Here is a movie with my boot time: https://vid.me/9aH6
5 REPLIES 5

UncleGG
Level 7
Hey,
I am also facing the exact same problem. However, I didn't install fresh copy of windows onto the SSD and just migrated the OS to it. I have not tried fresh installation and will do so when windows 10 comes out.
I did some searching and found that during the blinking dashes, the system is looking for a drive to boot from, but the problem persisted even when I disconnected my HDD drive and only SSD was present in the system.
We will appreciate If someone could shed some light on it.

Regards

Gps3dx
Level 12
@RazvanVL & @UncleGG
Please make sure in the "bios" settings that:
1. Sata MODE is AHCI
2. Make sure your ssd/HDD, where windows is going to be installed (c: drive ) is formated as GPT ( NOT MBR ! )
3. Disable CSM and enable FAST BOOT.READ HERE for partial info about that.
4. Make sure you've installed Win 8 using "UEFI: xxxxxxxxx" in the boot screen ( pressing ESC immidiatly after you see the ROG icon / as the computer boots up - becuase its fast 🙂 ). The xxx is your dvd/usb device name.
This will ensure that you're going to install windows on a GPT drive ( see note no.3 ) that utilize the UEFI firmware - which in turn enables the ability to boot windows FASTER then the case it is installed on a MBR based HDD/SSD ( which utilized the emulated bios aka enabled CMS mode )

As I understand you've already got windows 8 installed - from experience I can advise you to make a "ghost" image of your C: drive -> clear that drive ( HDD/SSD ) completly -> make it a GPT ( not MBR ) based -> create 3 partitions at MINIMUM on that GPT drive as follows ( the order is IMPORTANT ! 😞 efi, MSR, system (=c: drive ) -> Restore the ghost image onto the newly created C: drive -> boot into windows installation disk and perform startup repair -> reboot & you've got windows on a GPT based ssd/hdd.

After you've "ghosted" your windows ( i.e made an image backup of the OS ) and ready to perform the HDD/SSD wipe procedure, its best to boot with windows installation -> open a CMD ( search the web for how to ) -> perform that hole format procedure with DISKPART ( see here for more info ) as follows:
1. look for the desire ssd/hdd number by running the command "List disks"
2. perform the following, Please make note - THIS PROCEDURE WILL ERASE ALL THE INFO ON THE DRIVE that you'll choose !!!
if I write *** then afterwards text = its explanations NOT commands !

select disk # ***( # = disk number you want to format and convert to GPT
clean
convert gpt
create partition efi size=100
format quick fs=fat32 label="System" ***you can name it EFI or anything else - its the place where the .efi boot files will sit
assign letter="S"
create partition msr size=128 *** this is the 2nd must-have partition - read more about that HERE
create partition primary *** you can specify here with "size=xxx" the size in MiB that you wish c: drive will be ( if you intent on retaining spece for additional future partitions )
format quick fs=ntfs label="Windows" *** here you format the partition as ntfs based 4K blocks ( which is GOOD ! )
assign letter="W" *** it will be C: when you'll boot into windows - don't worry.
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

@Gps3dx Thanks a lot for the informative post. My SDD is indeed a MBR. I will follow your steps for ghosting and converting the SDD to GPT and will update the post once done.
Thanks again 🙂

@UncleGG
Glad I could help...
many ppl around me think I speak foreign language when I speak about computer maintenance 🙂

I can add something to the list of tweaks for you....
After you've done everything I wrote and run a win based GPT on the ssd and finally your able to boot into windows - download and install the latest Samsung magician software and perform the "OS Optimization" tweaks that app tells you to do + enable RAPID MODE + always leave about 10% free space on the last partition on the ssd so it could makes its own maintenance as he should ( every ssd is built that way - that's the "Over Provisioning" feature. You can MANUALLY do that, i.e (I recommand it ) extened/shorten the ssd partitions to retain 10% free space at the last partition, using various partition tools OUTSIDE of windows like GParted etc
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

Prostar_Compute
Level 9
Pretty much what Gps3dx said. You seem to be set up under CSM, OP. Your Windows installation should have been installed with CSM disabled and UEFI enabled.

We customize Asus, MSI, and Clevo laptops!