cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VGA LED on, no display

Relenting
Level 7
I have been trying to solve this problem for about a day and a half now, I get the AA code which is all is good, but the VGA led is on and I get nothing on the screen. I have taken the card out (MSI GeForce GTX 970) and swapped it with another card (Sapphire Radeon HD 7950) and in a different build. Both machines booted up fine multiple times, bios read all is well. Then I put the cards back and it doesn't want to display once it is back in on the Rampage board, is it some possible incompatibility or some other thing I am over looking?

Full Build is: Intel Core I7-5820K, Corsair H100i, Asus Rampage V Extreme, Corsair Vengence LPX 16GB 4x4 3000 (Set to 3000 in bios), MSI GeForce GTX 970, and a Corsair HX750i

Any and all help is appreciated!
11 REPLIES 11

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi Relenting and Welcome to ROG

There are a number of troubleshooting points to check.

Check if your on-board HDMI and display ports are working. (without the GPUs installed)

Make sure the graphics cards are seating correctly. ( I have heard of a situation where the standoffs were too short,relative to the expansion card mounting brackets)

If you don't have the latest Bios, upgrade and clear your CMOS. You can update without video, using the flashback port on your IO panel. If unsure how, just ask.

Remove all unnecessary peripheral devices initially, till the GPU issue is sorted, then add them back one at a time.

Ensure all drivers are up to date, if and when you can enter your OS.

Hope this helps and please report back.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

I've just given it all a shot, even reseated everything in the case to be sure. No luck, but now I am getting the VGA LED and a D6 code.

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi Relenting

So you are saying, no on-board HDMI or display ports are working either?

If still unsuccessful, you will have to remove the MB from the case and bench-test, to eliminate case problems and at the same time, Check the CPU for bent pins and carefully remount with new thermal paste.

Should this prove fruitless then RMA the MB. Should you find any bent pins, you can carefully straighten them with a toothpick, however they will void your Warranty if bent pins are the cause.

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hi Relenting 🙂

Can you get into BIOS? i.e. does the card work in BIOS but then not work when moving to OS?

Have you tried moving the card down to the third red slot

Are the PCIe lane switches in the correct position?

Card getting power...connections checked

I can't get into bios with the card I am using now (MSI GeForce GTX 970) But I have successfully gotten to bios 100% of the time with another graphics card (Sapphire Radeon HD 7950) Same when I put the MSI card in my other mobo. I have tried multiple cables and slots on the board as well just to be sure, even try a different monitor just to be extra careful. But the MSI card just simply doesn't want to display with this board where as it displayed and ran games with my other Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0. That's the most perplexing part. I feel I might have something plugged wrong, but can't pin point it. Once I had tried the other stuff I have been getting a D6 code now too.

Chino
Level 15
Have you connected the 8 pin power cable to your motherboard? Also make sure all the PCIe switches are in the ON position.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Are you using a separate cable to each connection on the card...sometimes these cables that connect to both connections from one cable don't work well?

Really I'm a bit stumped by this:confused:

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi Relenting
The only other thing I can think of is your PSU. Have it checked or Swap it out with another known good unit. May be not enough juice being delivered to the GPU. Also utilize the EZ plug from the MB to see if that makes any difference.

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]

PSU is sounding like it my be my best bet on this from what I gather, given that it plays flawlessly in the other setup, I won't be able to swap until Saturday when I have more time, but I'll be sure to post back after I've swapped them out.