cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751 - Windows Startup blank icons/Can't press Windows button

Thrill4
Level 7
I've noticed that sometimes when you restart Windows, you can't press the Start button for awhile and some desktop icons are blank. You need to wait about a minute before you can do anything on the laptop.

Doesn't seem to happen if you turn the Laptop on from "cold boot". Done Crystal Disk Mark on both the SSD and HDD and both are reading and writing insanely fast (e.g. 7200 drive is at 120 MB/s) so I doubt it's an issue with the drives.
21 REPLIES 21

clockworksatan
Level 7
Hi there,

Assuming that you are running Windows 8.1, did you update this from Windows 8.0 at any point? After a rummage through Google, it looks like there are/were some problems that are/were caused by upgrading to Windows 8.1.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/a007e827-9c50-4cb5-ac4a-6228f900e322/start...

I've got a feeling that this might not be the same problem that you're having, but it give you some idea of what might be going wrong.
Asus ROG G751JT-T7115H
17.3" IPS, Intel i7-4720HQ, 16Gb RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX970m, 256Gb M.2 SSD + 1Tb SSHD

antoine52200
Level 8
I had this issue a fews weeks ago, with internet connection taking the same time as icons to switch back to normal..

I went into services, changed a fews things that was set to manual ( don't know how this happened) changed them to automatic and the issue was gone

A lot of people had similar issues i think it comes from win 8.1 and somes updates. Because i did a restore first thing, the issue was gone and came back with the updates...

Thrill4
Level 7
Thanks for the replies.

clockwork, system came bundled with 8.1, Bought the laptop about a month ago.

antoine, can you give me any specific instructions on what services you changed? Never done something like that before.

Reason I ask is becaause it sounds like we have the same issue as I also did lots of updates and 2 system restores over the past week when I started to notice it.

I've actually considered reinstalling Windows 8.1 from a DVD without any of the Asus bloatware etc. Seem like a good idea or wasting my time?

Thrill4 wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

clockwork, system came bundled with 8.1, Bought the laptop about a month ago.

antoine, can you give me any specific instructions on what services you changed? Never done something like that before.

Reason I ask is becaause it sounds like we have the same issue as I also did lots of updates and 2 system restores over the past week when I started to notice it.

I've actually considered reinstalling Windows 8.1 from a DVD without any of the Asus bloatware etc. Seem like a good idea or wasting my time?

Let's try to fix itr first.

to start run : services.msc

Then look for workstation and turn it off. Restart your computer and tell me if you still have this issue

You answered you question in your question Hybrid Sleep. These issues with waking up from sleep have been around since window 2000 or when ever is was thought up. You have an SSD why bother with sleep Hybrid sleep at all I mean 5 seconds to boot up or 20 seconds to boot up is that 15 seconds that big of a deal. As you said it doesn't happen from a cold boot.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Thrill4
Level 7
Same issue.

Went to Properties > Disabled on Startup. Any others to try?

antoine52200
Level 8
there is a fews but i don't know their names in english.. i'm french and my english isn't as good as i would like! This issue comes from workstation enabled or an other service that is set to automatic (delayed start) instead of automatic.

Try to look for services set to delayed which could explain this. You should find this easly. reboot a fews times until you find the right one but you should be able to fix it. let us know

My internet icon taking so much time to connect was due 4 bluetooth services desactivated and delayed i don't know why somes updates managed to change priorities in services..

Thrill4
Level 7
So I set every single delayed service to automatic on logon and still no luck.

Carnoustie
Level 9
for me it was a windows update causing this,done a system restore to before the last windows update and it's fixed.