Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    18

    G751 - Weird charging problem.

    Hey all,

    So i ran into a weird problem with my G751.

    At first i had an issue of it going to only 96 % (Plugged in but not charging) which i fixed by letting it discharge and charging it back up to 100%
    using a different Power profile....

    All was fine until this evening, moved my laptop back to my room but forgot to plug it in, fired up FF14 Online, played a bit and realized i forgot that my charger was not plugged in...
    After plugging it in (at 34% battery left) My front battery light started flashing orange and it said 34 % Plugged in and not charging. Just before i was about to give up after rebooting a few times and tinkering around with settings it just started charging again..
    and the light stopped flashing.

    Any idea what is causing this? Also when i plug in my adapter ever since this problem...my USB Ports drop power for a second then work fine, ie my external mouse and keyboard will drop then come to life again on every time i take my power adapter out and in?

    Is my battery dying? When it is at 100 % it holds power fine, usually 3-4 hours using desktop apps, and about an hour n half gaming...The laptop is about 2 months old. I rarely ever unplug it unless i wanna move my laptop to another room.

    Thanks for any help.

  2. #2
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Reputation
    21
    Posts
    432

    If the laptop is cutting off power each time you plug in or unplug the AC adapter then it sounds like there might be an issue with the laptop itself. I had an older HP laptop that was having same issue, except mine would also occasionally restart when I did that. I contacted HP support and they told me that the laptop is defective and will require RMA.

    Sent it back and got replaced with a refurbished one and the issue was gone.
    Last edited by InfernoStorm; 07-24-2015 at 03:27 AM.

  3. #3
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array Prostar Computer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Reputation
    11
    Posts
    462

    Your battery may be fine while the issue is the charging circuit. It's difficult to say which, specifically, is the problem (battery or board). If you keep running into power-related hiccups, though, it may be worth it to contact Asus.
    We customize Asus, MSI, and Clevo laptops!

  4. #4
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    6

    I am having the same problem except mine finally stopped charging when plugged in all together. Any result in this case, what caused the problem, fix?

  5. #5
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Reputation
    55
    Posts
    396

    Is there a charging light on the charging brick?

    Unplug the charging brick from both the laptop and the wall outlet.

    Plug the charging brick in the wall outlet. Does the light come on?

    Now connect the laptop to the charging brick. Does the light remain on?

    Power on the laptop. Does the charging brick light remain on?

    If the charging brick light goes out when connected to the laptop or when the laptop is powered on, then you have a problem with the laptop (DC-IN connector board, charging circuit on the motherboard, and/or the laptop battery).

    Take laptop and charging brick to local tech repairman.
    G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
    Homebuilt Windows Server

  6. #6
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    19

    Quote Originally Posted by jdfrench3 View Post
    Is there a charging light on the charging brick?

    Unplug the charging brick from both the laptop and the wall outlet.

    Plug the charging brick in the wall outlet. Does the light come on?

    Now connect the laptop to the charging brick. Does the light remain on?

    Power on the laptop. Does the charging brick light remain on?

    If the charging brick light goes out when connected to the laptop or when the laptop is powered on, then you have a problem with the laptop (DC-IN connector board, charging circuit on the motherboard, and/or the laptop battery).

    Take laptop and charging brick to local tech repairman.
    Similar problem started for me a few days ago but now the battery won't charge past 85%. I can't seem to get to the bottom of the issue. Any ideas?

  7. #7
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Reputation
    55
    Posts
    396

    Go into your Device Manager, under Batteries, Uninstall Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery, then reboot the laptop. The Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery should be detected after the reboot. Check battery icon. If the charge indicator hasn't changed (still 85%). then I would suspect you should replace your battery soon.

    Your battery should be exercised at least once a month (unplug charging brick from laptop and run the laptop), keep an eye on the battery icon. How quickly is the battery drained? Faster voltage drain would indicate a weaker battery. After 15-30 minutes, power down the laptop, connect the charging brick and power the laptop back on. Check the battery icon (should show charging), the higher the percent charge would indicate condition of the battery. As the battery ages, the percent charge decreases. If below 75%, I would replace battery.

    If you use your laptop daily, and you have the laptop connected to its' charging brick all the time, it's normal that the percent charged indicator will slowly fall. Exercising the battery occasionally can help. Still, it should be expected to change the battery after 4 or 5 years.

    Another note: Keep and eye on the power LED on the charging brick. You want to see the green LED (check after loss of household power). Plug the charging brick into a surge protector or better yet, a battery backup. The charging brick can go bad. I would swap the charging brick along with the battery (every 4 or 5 years).
    G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
    Homebuilt Windows Server

  8. #8
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Reputation
    13
    Posts
    102

    Quote Originally Posted by jdfrench3 View Post

    Your battery should be exercised at least once a month (unplug charging brick from laptop and run the laptop)
    I just saw this and would like to know what knowledge or evidence you have to suggest this?

  9. #9
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Reputation
    55
    Posts
    396

    Contrary to some recommendations, you don’t need to completely discharge a lithium-ion battery and then recharge it to somehow reboot or calibrate it – this is a destructive practice that’s very hard on your battery. Whether or not it’s a smart idea to perform a complete discharge a couple of times a year remains an unanswered question. Generally, the consensus seems to be that letting your battery discharge (without bottoming it out — aim for around 20 percent) and then charge it when possible is the best practice.



    https://www.digitaltrends.com/comput...ptops-battery/
    G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
    Homebuilt Windows Server

  10. #10
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Reputation
    13
    Posts
    102

    Quote Originally Posted by jdfrench3 View Post
    Contrary to some recommendations, you don’t need to completely discharge a lithium-ion battery and then recharge it to somehow reboot or calibrate it – this is a destructive practice that’s very hard on your battery. Whether or not it’s a smart idea to perform a complete discharge a couple of times a year remains an unanswered question. Generally, the consensus seems to be that letting your battery discharge (without bottoming it out — aim for around 20 percent) and then charge it when possible is the best practice.



    https://www.digitaltrends.com/comput...ptops-battery/
    So "consensus" not data.

    #ROGfacts

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •