cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS G751JM clone HDD to SSD help

Gabbard
Level 7
Hi there! I am having some problems with my transition from the stock HDD to a Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD. This is my first time working with an SSD and I would appreciate any help that can be provided. I've read a few of the forum posts here about cloning to SSD's, and I've followed the steps to do it, but it still seems to take forever for my computer to start up (by forever, I mean about 50-60 seconds). My stock HDD took 71 seconds to load (not a big difference, hence me being here. 🙂

ASUS G751JM-BHI7t25 (only upgrade I have made to the machine was adding 16GB of RAM (2x 8GB Crucial BLQL.9J) putting me at 24GB RAM. No issues when using HDD.

This is what I did...

Step 1: Install Samsung Data Migration using provided CD
Step 2: Plug in Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD using USB 3.0 to SATA III connector (Brand: Apricorn; Purchased from Best Buy)
Step 3: Run Data Migration
Step 4: Safely removed SSD, shut down laptop, removed HDD and placed SSD where the HDD was.
Step 5: Turned laptop back on (1 minute wait)

*NOTE* With my HDD, as soon as the computer is booted to the start menu, I could start typing the name of a program and it would immediately populate the list on the right side of the screen. With the SSD, when I get to the start menu from a fresh boot and start typing the name of a program, the computer seems to lock up for almost a minute and then the right side of the screen starts populating search results.

Step 6: Install Samsung Magician and run program. Magician shows Drive Health: Good. I set OS Optimization to
Maximum Performance, turned on RAPID Mode, rebooted computer, still takes around 1 minute to get to start menu.

Am I missing something? Magician says I am connected to SATA III, but I'm not seeing the expected blazing fast boot times that I've read about.

And I apologize for the wall of text.. Please let me know if I need to provide any additional information and I will get to it as soon as I am able. AND THANK YOU IN ADVANCE 😮
2 REPLIES 2

mryanmarkryan
Level 7
Hopefully you have resolved this by now. If so, please let me know what you did. I was going to suggest you simply check your bios. BIOS often needs to be reset or customized after a hardware change. That's what it does.. hardware.. so if you enter BIOS and then go through the option, do a reset first and save, your lag may disappear.

JustinThyme
Level 13
Is sata mode in the bios set to AHCI? Have you set the SSD to rapid mode?
I just replaced my 1TB HDD with a Samsung 850 pro 512GB. I used Acronis true image to clone the drive then Acronis disk director to can the restore partitions. This was the very first thing I did after just buying this PC was to update to windows 10, run all updates on drivers and install Acronis then cone the drive to an ssd and put the original drive in the box where it will forever stay unless I need it to recover. Not only is my boot time blazing fast, read and write speeds exceed the specifications.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein