cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has Anyone Figured Out The G75 Random Shutdown?

Hail
Level 7
I've had my G75 for a few years now, and after I RMAd it because of a faulty graphics card I noticed these random shutdowns. It happened about twice within the first month, so I didn't really question it much. That has since progressed into it shutting down almost every day while I'm doing non-intensive tasks such as browsing the internet.

It is a hard shut down with no reboot, by the way.

I've read about it on these forums and tried the various fixes (It is not because of hibernation - I have tested that fix) and to no avail.

I would like to restore functionality of my ~$1200 laptop that performs worse than a ~$200 laptop.

Thank you in advance guys! I know this is a pretty common problem for this computer hope you can help me out.
32 REPLIES 32

Aliasmk
Level 7
I'm trying everything I can think of and after 3 and a half years im running out of ideas/motivation/patience. For me definitely tied to an Auxillary power consumption issue. By that I mean, anything that can be plugged in and draws power (usb, hard drives etc). As long as only my mouse is plugged into the computer in one specific port, it wont crash. However, even my mouse plus a USB dongle for a keyboard will cause it to crash. it also crashes with no usb's but with 2 HDDs or one HDD and one SSD.

Temps are never an issue, and like you it happens in and out of gaming.

Do you have a multimeter? If so, can you measure the voltage of the DC plug going into the computer from the power supply and post it on my experiment thread below? I'm thinking perhaps some power supplies are faulty and overloading the system.
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?71822-Measured-voltage-of-charger-block-higher-than-19V

Hail
Level 7
Dang so if I remove my extra HDD and only keep my mouse plugged in then it won't crash? What the heck kind of solution is that haha but I might have to test it out sometime.

I don't have a multimeter on me unfortunately I am sorry but I can't test that theory. I'm thinking that some of the solder points are cracked and I'm debating just throwing my motherboard in the oven because someone else had the shutdown issue and that fixed the problem but who knows how long that will fix it.

Hail
Level 7
Still looking for a solution.

spanishflyer
Level 7
Same here,
I just used MS Afterburner to download the CPU to 500 and working since then with only some sudden crashes (even when starting the laptop early in the morning, so no heat problems here...).
Clearly not happy with the situation and I'm already looking for a replacement, maybe even a desktop, but really this is just not on from ASUS to give no clues of what is happening in our case.
Best regards and good luck to the sufferers..

Spanish Flyer

zsanfusa
Level 7
please post windows memory dump file and event logs related to the crash and i can help provide a diagnosis

zsanfusa wrote:
please post windows memory dump file and event logs related to the crash and i can help provide a diagnosis

Have found about 15-20 *.dmp files, but don't know how to read them... A Google search gave me the option of downloading Visual Studio, a huge program (several GB in size...), that "contains" this dmp file reader, but I get the feeling Microsoft is not too happy about it and has actually discontinued offering the WinDbg.exe as far as I know or understand. Besides, my slow internet connection cannot handle the VS zip file...

Can someone give me a hand here?

One last question: when I ordered my G75VW from the US it came with 12GB RAM 3x4gb and have just noticed that they are 1.35V instead of the recommended 1.5V.... Would I get better performance if I replaced them with 1.5V units; besides, the memory sticks are from different manufacturers.

Thanks a lot,

Spanish Flyer

C4RN1
Level 9
Use BlueScreenView

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

With the ram I would only use matching sticks to help identify the issue. If you run 2 different types of ram more than likely you'll have issues. You should buy another matching stick of the hynix ram.

Ebay has a cheap one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hynix-HMT351S6CFR8C-PB-4GB-DDR3-SDRAM-PC3-12800-DDR3-1600-Laptop-SO-DIMM-204...

Also check your chipset version in hwinfo, i'd like to see what version you have.

HWinfo can be found here http://www.hwinfo.com/

This is a screenshot from my G46, please post a screenshot for your laptop.

Also check out this thread since it's similar

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?59813-Asus-G75vw-Random-Reboots-somewhat-solved-with-throt...

spanishflyer
Level 7
Thanks a lot C4RN1,

It took me a while to get the HWiNFO64 downloaded and working, but eventually managed (I had an earlier version and was almost impossible to remove and new and old versions seemed to conflict.

I bought the G75VW in HIDevolution, and I just wonder why they installed different brand memory sticks; if I go for new RAM I would buy the 8GB x 4 so I would have 32GB in total.

Take a look at the attached jpg file.

Best regards,

Spanish Flyer

Another view of the same file...

Spanish Flyer