cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VII Impact - Can't Remove NGFF (M.2 module) Screws

phlegm
Level 7
I'm trying to add an M.2 SSD. To do so, you must remove 3 screws to take the cover off of the mPCIe Combo V module (it also holds the WiFi/Bluetooth components).

On one side there's a single screw which is tiny, but I was able to remove it, with too much force than I'd like. Noticed that there was blue threadlock on the screw, which seems like overkill.

There are 2 more screws on the other side. These are even smaller, and the Phillips head seems very shallow - not even the small watch repair tools get decent grip. I am completely unable to budge either of those screws. I suspect threadlock on those as well.

I took it into a computer repair shop, and he couldn't remove them either.

Questions:
1. Surely someone else has used an M.2 SSD on this board at this point. Has anyone else enountered this?

2. Is there a shallow Phillips, or special tool we should be using?

3. If I RMA this, will all boards have the same threadlocked screws installed in the module or is it just a fluke in my case?

4. Could ASUS send one without the cover screwed on?
10 REPLIES 10

GivenXombiE
Level 7
i had the Z87 VI Impact and i didnt have to remove anything to install my M.2 SSD. from the pictures i have seen mine had the same module as the Z97

phlegm
Level 7
I was hoping for that too, but pages 2-14, 2-15 in the manual say that the cover has to be removed to install an M.2 SSD.

I've never installed an M.2 drive at this point, so I'm unsure.

So, you just slid the NGFF into the combo module and screwed it down?

GivenXombiE
Level 7
inserted the m.2 ssd into the slot and inserted the module onto the motherboard and screwed it to the motherboard. thats the only screw i had to use and that doesn't even relate to the m.2 drive. but again this was for the z87 impact, not the z97. i doubt they would of made changes to the module but im not 100% on that.

EDIT: i just checked my manual and it says to remove the screws also. but i was able to insert the drive with the cover on no problem

phlegm
Level 7
Hey, thx for the input! I assumed the cover somehow secured the SSD, but as you said, it looks like you can just slide it in.

Why the heck would they say to remove the screws, especially hard ones that even a computer shop couldn't remove? Crazy.

Thanks for the help Xombie.

Hi Plemgm , I have the same issue !! .. even with the screws to tie the module down , they just turn and turn .. poor machining processs, and also those tiny screws I tried to drill out and fuked my M.2 board in the process.

Then I found the M.2 connector on the motherboard is faulty , as 2 pins get pushed up when inserting the module .. <-- help

Sigh ..

+ I have raised a support case for ASUS to answer , WHAT M.2 Devices are supported as their Doco is poorly lacking this .

RhysLewis wrote:
Hi Plemgm , I have the same issue !! .. even with the screws to tie the module down , they just turn and turn .. poor machining processs, and also those tiny screws I tried to drill out and fuked my M.2 board in the process.

Then I found the M.2 connector on the motherboard is faulty , as 2 pins get pushed up when inserting the module .. <-- help

Sigh ..

+ I have raised a support case for ASUS to answer , WHAT M.2 Devices are supported as their Doco is poorly lacking this .

Same thing for me. I opted to secure the PCIe combo IV card via the single screw that attaches through the I/O shield near the audio. The screw just spins, but i've left it as it is still keeping the combo card in place. Suspect it will be a problem on all units.

As for M.2 devices, I can at least confirm a Samsung SM951 NVMe works, and is bootable. (Windows 10)

BTW, I believe there is a 64-bit OS requirement for M.2 - I think I recall seeing that somewhere.

GivenXombiE
Level 7
no problem man! yeah i dont understand the point of having to remove the cover when it really isnt in the way.

RhysLewis
Level 7
Thanks Mate , please see my reponse to other thread for supported list of M.2 devices .. seems we have to wait for the Website list to be updated.

RhysLewis
Level 7
P.S How did you get your hands on a Samsung SM951 NVMe ?.. whats the part # mate?.. I thought they arent released to public for another month ?.. I,m in New Zealand btw.