cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FX-9590 vs i7 4790K

jarokamaro007
Level 7
Hi.curently im runing FX-9590 but was thinking to change for i7 4790K...question is wil i see big diferent in games?Using Asus r9 290x Matrix platinum Crossfire and Asus Croshair V formula Z...
20 REPLIES 20

Korth
Level 14
CPUBoss comparison - agrees with the majority of sites that I've seen, but some sites offer opposing results/opinions.
You won't see much difference in gaming from swapping to a Z97 platform. Some games a tiny bit better, some a tiny bit worse. You would see much larger differences if swapping your GPU card. Honestly, the differences between your top-end AMD system and a top-end Intel system wouldn't be enough (in my opinion) to justify spending on upgrade ... I would wait until 2016 for Skylake and new X99 processors and such, it would be a lot more bang for your buck and a significant linear upgrade instead of a somewhat costly marginal nonlinear upgrade.

990FX+SB950 is slightly inferior to Z97, but this is a non-issue on high-end motherboards (with either chipset) because the manufacturers tend to integrate various add-on chips to round out hardware compatibility. Asus Maximus VII Impact and Sabertooth Mark S (Z97) motherboards support essentially the same add-on features as your Asus CVFZ (990FX) motherboard.

The overwhelming majority of GPU cards (including your Asus-overclocked R9-290X) can't fully saturate PCIe 2.0 bandwidth. But if you're looking at something like a pair of 980Ti/TitanX cards then Z97 would be a better choice because the lack of PCIe 3.0 on a 990FX might throttle maximum fps. And of course, all AMD motherboards support CrossFire but few AMD motherboards support SLI.

Z97 mobos tend to support faster DDR3. But extreme DDR3 speeds are rarely realized when overclocking either the FX-9590 or the i7-4790K, since the processors dictate upper limits on memory performance more than the motherboards. Your CVFZ supports up to 4x8GB DDR3-2400 ... but if you wanted the advantages of extreme memory (up to and beyond 8x8GB DDR3-3300) supported by some of the top-end Z97 motherboards then you would have to add it into the upgrade price.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

NemesisChild
Level 12
If you're into benchmarking, a 4790k will definitely yield higher scores vs. AMD.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

InfernoStorm
Level 10
The i7-4790K without OC will have pretty big performance increase over the FX-9590 for straight up gaming, and with it being overclocked, the difference will be quite significant.

Have owned both chips, so that's why I know.

Also, I didn't mention I had GTX 780 Ti in 3-way SLI for each system so that's why the performance difference was much larger.

InfernoStorm wrote:
The i7-4790K without OC will have pretty big performance increase over the FX-9590 for straight up gaming, and with it being overclocked, the difference will be quite significant.

Have owned both chips, so that's why I know.

Also, I didn't mention I had GTX 780 Ti in 3-way SLI for each system so that's why the performance difference was much larger.

Did you ever compare gaming on those two system while using only one graphics card?

I have heard the FX-9590 is a bit of a weak overclocker (unlike the FX-8350). But 4.7GHz core and up to 5.0GHz turbo is still pretty good, lol, and I think fast enough to shift the gaming bottleneck onto the GPU card(s). (Applying the same logic to the i7-4790K - also more than good enough for gaming - the main difference is that Z97 can run 16 PCIe 3.0 lanes, and that basically only matters if you have top-end GPU cards or multiple NVidia GPU cards.)

They do bench differently. That matters to a lot of people. Benchmark scores =/= gaming scores, not always anyhow.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
Did you ever compare gaming on those two system while using only one graphics card?

I have heard the FX-9590 is a bit of a weak overclocker (unlike the FX-8350). But 4.7GHz core and up to 5.0GHz turbo is still pretty good, lol, and I think fast enough to shift the gaming bottleneck onto the GPU card(s). (Applying the same logic to the i7-4790K - also more than good enough for gaming - the main difference is that Z97 can run 16 PCIe 3.0 lanes, and that basically only matters if you have top-end GPU cards or multiple NVidia GPU cards.)

They do bench differently. That matters to a lot of people. Benchmark scores =/= gaming scores, not always anyhow.

Single GPU definitely will have little or no difference but when you start using 2-3 high end video cards then you do see a significant difference. It's not because the FX-9590 is bottlenecking the 3 cards, I'm pretty sure it isn't but the architecture of the Intel chips are just much better than the AMD chips. I use the FX-9590 in a different system now to do video editing, it does extremely well for application related tasks but not nearly as equal for gaming.

_TRG__Kicker
Level 7
Just get the intel. I recently upgraded my 3+ year old system to the 5930k from the 5350 (was running the 5150 for the first year). Any game that was cpu bound that i played got bad fps even at 5.0 Ghz. Even at a slower clock speed on my 5930k its still out performing my 5350. Even on a single gtx680 4 gig i get 40fps vs the 5.0Ghz 5350 at 20fps on Witcher 3.

Save your self some disapointment and just go intel. AMD is old tech on there cpu and vary dated mobo. Im done with AMD.

AlexB121
Level 7
Everyone has an opinion ... In my opinion i would stick to AMD there is no way i mean no way a custom build pc with asus crosshair v formula-z with a fx 9590 overclocked and using the wright cooler will loose to any i7 its just not possible get ur fx 9590 stable all 8 cores running at 5.2 stable and
compare it to any i7 u will see that intel i7 wont come even close to the fx 9590

Not even the i7-5960X Processor Extreme Edition put to its max can touch the FX 9590

Probably won't tell the difference gaming. However, considering the 990FX is an old chipset, and if you want newer hardware goodies that's available on Intel boards then I think that's the time worth considering - if you're not bothered then I think there's no reason for you to switch over if just for gaming.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yes, everyone has an opinion...however the only ones with any value are those based on fact...despite what school teachers may try to tell you 😛

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1289?vs=1260

re vs 5960X http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1289?vs=1317 and that is stock frequency....when you get one to 5GHz.....:eek:

For gaming...either will do...as has been said...apart from a certain minimum the CPU is not a limiting factor...GPU much more so...