New ROGer Array

G73JW / Momentus XT 500GB/ SeaTools crashing while attempting to zero-fill drive/LLF

Hi guys

This is my first post on this forum and one of the first posts ever in any internet fora.

I have a G73JW with Bios version 205 (Core i7, 6 GB RAM, GTX 460M) and a
    Seagate Momentus XT 500 GB HD-drive FW. version SD28.

Just wondering if anyone has any input on the following problem that I am experiencing:

I am using SeaTools for DOS ver. 2.23 (latest I think) and trying to use the zero-fill drive/Low-level format utility in this program. After a couple of minutes (anywhere between 2-15 mins. / 2-4 % completed) the program freezes/crashes showing a green window inside the program with the text
    "Thank you for using SeaTools for DOS. A list of test log files is........." ( the window ends with some gibberish symbols).
    The program does not respond and I have to power of the machine to exit.

The same thing has happened during all my previous attempts aswell. I have performed FW update on the Momentus two times: original -> SD25 ->SD28. Same result with all versions. I have no idea how to complete the zero filling and I have tried finding solutions other places online with no luck.

I am not sure if I am doing something wrong or if it is a HW related issue

Anyone else experienced this or have a soulution/input?

Any help appreciated
    Thanks in advance

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array

It's been awhile since I used SeaTools for DOS, but I remember it being glitchy. (I think I had to switch to WD and other utils.) Perhaps the issues lies with that particular program, not with your computer. Have you tried another disk utility to clean the disk?

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array dstrakele's Avatar

If you download and burn the CD version of Partition Wizard (there's a link in JR's "Drivers, Apps and How-to's" thread) to CD, it will allow you to zero out your HDD. However, I don't believe it will be able to low level format it. That is usually limited to utilities developed by the HDD manufacturer.
    Last edited by dstrakele; 12-15-2011 at 10:09 PM.
    G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

New ROGer Array

Thanks for the reply guys

I have not tried any other programs yet. I will try Partition Wizard as mentioned above by dstrakele.
    Will let you know how it turns out

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by krhanse View Post
    Thanks for the reply guys

I have not tried any other programs yet. I will try Partition Wizard as mentioned above by dstrakele.
    Will let you know how it turns out
    The DOS utility diskpart also has a zero-fill function. It's already built in, so nothing to download. But third-party programs probably have a more user-friendly interface.