cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to upgrade to windows 10 upgrade and clean install simple guide

aeolisio
Level 10
Since people seem to ask a lot of the same questions and have spread this out i am making this simple guide. I have done 14 g751 windows 10 upgrades today most clean installs some just standard upgrades. You can use the same key to reinstall windows 8.1 after this process so dont worry.

1. You dont need to have your actual key written down as its embedded but if it makes you feel better you can run the following command in CMD to find the product key associated with your Windows installation: wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey.

2. Use the tool here to upgrade.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

3. Now you can use it as upgraded or you can clean install over everything. To clean install use the same tool here again.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
and choose the windows 10 home edition during setup to burn it to a usb. You dont need rufus or anything else the tool formats the usb correctly.
Heres another walkthrough if you want further reading
http://www.ghacks.net/2015/07/29/how-to-do-a-clean-install-of-windows-10/

People are currently showing dx11.3 dx 12 is still insider access only and if you want dx12 go into windows update, advanced options, insider builds, get started then after you load the newest insider build it will have dx12. Your not missing anything theres nothing built to use it yet. No one knows if it will release later today or a month from now microsoft hasnt released word. Honestly i would wait for the release there is nothing that needs dx12 yet.
3d printed parts and accessories for the G751. You know you want something better than OEM ->https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
66 REPLIES 66

aeolisio
Level 10
If we can consolidate all the windows 10 install questions to this thread i can help people a lot more efficiently but lets keep it about upgrades and installs though please so i dont have to sort through other comments.

Heres a nice FAQ from winsupersite.com for the most commonly asked questions

FREE UPGRADES OR NOT

Q. Does the Windows 10 free upgrade offer only last 12 months from 29 July 2015 to 29 July 2016?

A. YES

Q. If I am still running Windows 95, Millennium (Me), XP or Vista on my computer can I get a free upgrade to Windows 10?

A. NO

Q. I have a system running Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 – am I eligible for the free Windows 10 upgrade?

A. YES

Q. I have a system running Windows 8 with the Windows 8.1 Update installed – can I get a free upgrade to Windows 10?

A. YES

Q. Can I transfer my Windows 10 installation to another computer after getting the free upgrade?

A. NO

THE INS AND OUTS OF LICENSES

Q. I have a retail license for my Windows 7 machine. As you know, I can transfer that license from one machine to another. So can I upgrade to Windows 10 for free, then transfer my Windows 7 retail license to a second machine and upgrade that one to Windows 10 too?

A. NO.

Q. Okay, how about if I have a retail license for Windows 8.1?

A. Still no.

Q. What if I bought a retail license that was purchased online or in a store - does the system upgraded to the free Windows 10 upgrade remain licensed as a retail license?

A. YES.

Q. If I purchased my copy of Windows 7 or 8/8.1 as a retail license from either a brick-and-mortar store or an online store, then I upgrade to Windows 10, can I transfer that upgrade to a new computer under the retail licensing?

A. YES

Q. If I purchase a copy of windows 7 after 29 July will I still be eligible for a free upgrade to windows 10?

A. YES. All properly licensed Windows 7 and 8.1 machines are eligible for the free upgrade until 29 July 2016.

Q. I have a laptop and own the copy of Windows 7 Ultimate that is installed on it. I need to upgrade that laptop to Windows 10. However, after the upgrade, I would like to install the Windows 7 Ultimate OS into VirtualBox along with our old Windows XP copy for demonstration purposes. Can I do that?

A. NO. Since you are using the Windows 7 Ultimate license as the base for upgrading to Windows 10 on that device the Windows 7 license is locked to that machine and is not able to be moved. What you can do is upgrade that Windows 7 Ultimate machine to Windows 10 Pro, the version it is allowed to upgrade to.

Q. I have Windows 8.1 with embedded key . If I upgrade to Windows 10 will that key be changed and no longer work for Windows 8.1 ?

A. NO. If your system has an embedded key, then it is most likely an OEM system with an OEM license of Windows 8.1. You will be able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free and the system will be a valid install of Windows 10 and activated. Note that this is just for that machine.

Q. Still me with the OEM and Windows 8.1 with the embedded key. What if I upgrade now, and let’s say 16 months from now I want to go back to Windows 8.1 --can I do that? And then back to windows 10 a few months after that? Can I go back and forth whenever I want long as its on the same PC ?

A. YES, YES and YES, although I can’t imagine any usage scenario where you’d actually want to keep flipping back and forth between two operating systems like that.

To the first YES: the ability to simply revert your upgrade from 8.1 to Windows 10 is for just 30 days. After that you can revert back but it will require a reinstall of 8.1.

To the second YES: If you do the Windows 10 upgrade in the first 12 months it will be free for the lifetime of that device so you will be able to install Windows 10 after that on that system.

ALL ABOUT OEMS

Q. Is it true that the free upgrade to Windows 10 retains the properties of the license that was on the upgraded Windows 7 or 8.1 system? In other words if I am on an OEM system, when I upgrade it with a free Windows 10 upgrade, is it still licensed as an OEM system?

A. YES

Q. I have a genuine copy of Windows 7 Professional on my laptop. I have never installed any Windows 10 build. Can I perform a clean install of Windows 10 instead of an upgrade? Does this change depending on whether I have an OEM or Retail copy? Are there any drawbacks to not performing a clean install if this is not possible?

A. YES. Microsoft has stated that a clean install will be possible on a retail or OEM copy as long as it is a genuine system.

Q. If I built my own computer and purchased an OEM license for that hardware from either a bricks-and-mortar store or an online vendor, does my OEM license transfer to the Windows 10 upgrade after 29 July 2015?

A. YES

Q. Can I transfer that OEM based Windows 10 upgrade to another computer?

A. NO

Q. In my SMB, we have almost exclusively OEM Windows 7 Pro licenses that came with the computers. These computers are joined to a domain. Do my machines get a free upgrade? How?

A. YES. As an OEM licenses, they are eligible for the free Windows 10 upgrade. You’ll have to download the ISO for installing and upgrading the operating systems, as domain joined machines will not see the "Get Windows 10" app.

Q. If I upgrade to my OEM machine to Windows 10 from Windows 7 (with Service Pack 1) or Windows 8 (with Windows 8.1 Update), what if I want to upgrade a component in my PC a few months from now? Do the Windows 7/Windows 8.1 OEM upgrade rules apply in Windows ?

A. YES. The same algorithm will be used to determine if enough hardware has changed to trigger having to re-authorize that system. Some hardware changes will not cause a system to be de-authorized and others will.

FLIPPING BETWEEN OPERATING SYSTEMS

Q. If I upgrade to the final version of Windows 10 anytime during the first year from a system with a genuine version of Windows 7 (with Service Pack 1) or Windows 8 (with Windows 8.1 Update) installed can I reinstall Windows 10?

A. YES

Q. Can I do a clean install of Windows 10 from a system with a genuine version of Windows 7 (with Service Pack 1) or Windows 8 (with Windows 8.1 Update) installed?

A. YES

Q. If I upgrade to the final version of Windows 10 anytime during the first year from a system with a non-genuine version of Windows 7 (with Service Pack 1) or Windows 8 (with Windows 8.1 Update) installed can I upgrade to Windows 10?

A. NO

Q. Do I need to use a Microsoft Account to upgrade my Windows 7 (with Service Pack 1) or Windows 8 (with windows 8.1 Update) system to Windows 10?

A. NO
3d printed parts and accessories for the G751. You know you want something better than OEM ->https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

aeolisio wrote:
Q. Can I do a clean install of Windows 10 from a system with a genuine version of Windows 7 (with Service Pack 1) or Windows 8 (with Windows 8.1 Update) installed?
Yes

@aeolisio - Thanks for your post.
Every thing you wrote seems to be correct but that quote above.
Anyone with legit win 7,8,8.1 MUST upgrade his/her machine 1st using the upgrade application ( KB3035583 )
My source for that is HERE
Thus, for a working genuine product key to work on a clean installed win10, "You have to upgrade from a qualifying version of windows for your hardware id to be stored in the activation servers" -> then you can perform a clean installation !
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

Gps3dx wrote:
@aeolisio - Thanks for your post.
Every thing you wrote seems to be correct but that quote above.
Anyone with legit win 7,8,8.1 MUST upgrade his/her machine 1st using the upgrade application ( KB3035583 )
My source for that is HERE
Thus, for a working genuine product key to work on a clean installed win10, "You have to upgrade from a qualifying version of windows for your hardware id to be stored in the activation servers" -> then you can perform a clean installation !

The answer is correct think about it. You can indeed do a clean install if you follow my walkthrough.

Quote Originally Posted by Gramzzz View Post
So I have a G751JT and I tried to update to Win 10. I get the msg "couldn't update the system reserved partition". I then tried to do the force method listed in the first post and I get the same msg "couldn't update the system reserved partition". Any ideas or workarounds? Thanks

Use the tool in step 3 to upgrade instead

Tried using that also. Get the same msg. I'm thinking I'll have to do a boot able USB and try that way.

Gramzzz wrote:
Quote Originally Posted by Gramzzz View Post
So I have a G751JT and I tried to update to Win 10. I get the msg "couldn't update the system reserved partition". I then tried to do the force method listed in the first post and I get the same msg "couldn't update the system reserved partition". Any ideas or workarounds? Thanks

Use the tool in step 3 to upgrade instead

Tried using that also. Get the same msg. I'm thinking I'll have to do a boot able USB and try that way.

Any chance your using a guest account? Try elevating the commands with admin

aeolisio wrote:
Any chance your using a guest account? Try elevating the commands with admin

I am using Admin, no guest accounts on this laptop.

Gramzzz wrote:
I am using Admin, no guest accounts on this laptop.

Ahh your reserved partition is full heres the solution.
http://setspn.blogspot.com/2014/10/windows-technical-preview-cannot-update.html
http://www.daringcoders.com/2015/01/windows-10-9926-technical-preview-issue/

aeolisio wrote:
Ahh your reserved partition is full heres the solution.
http://setspn.blogspot.com/2014/10/windows-technical-preview-cannot-update.html
http://www.daringcoders.com/2015/01/windows-10-9926-technical-preview-issue/

Ok so I went to the links read them And tried to follow the steps. Problem is I cannot set or change drive letters on the partition.

So my HD has 5 partitions.
100MB System partition
900MB Recovery partition
C: OS 372 GB
😧 Data 537 GB
20 GB recovery Partition.

This is the way the drive was set up when I bought the laptop

Now the 2 partitions with the drive letters (C,D) I can right click and change drive letters if I want. The other 3 partitions when I right click them, I just get a help option. Starting to smack my head against the wall.

Xehanort
Level 8
First of all, thank you so much for this guide!

For some reason, this whole Windows 10 upgrade/clean install is confusing the hell out of me. So I can clean install, without having to worry about activation, but only after I upgrade? This has been my doubt from the very beginning.

I'm also not sure if I should install it immediately, maybe i'll wait until user feedback and glitch fixes start rolling out. Anyway, excited for Windows 10!