View Poll Results: How do you think the release version of Windows 10 compares to Windows 8.1

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Its a definite improvement over 8.1

36 83.72%
  • I cant tell the difference

4 9.30%
  • I prefer 8.1

3 6.98%
  • Turnip

0 0%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
    ROG Guru: Green Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by galladanb View Post
    OK, Thx for the feedback!
    I did forget to ask, what size USB flash drive should I use for the media recovery?
    I have a few extra 8GB, but wonder should I go bigger???
    Does the recovery process make a "Clone" or copy of the C: Drive or just the recovery items?

Thx, Dan'l

i have used 16gb but it might fit on an 8gb.
    if your using the windows tool you have the option of what you want to delete or you can use asus backtracker or something else.
    3d printed parts and accessories for the G751. You know you want something better than OEM ->https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array

All 29 g751s at work that were upgraded still function flawlessly if anyone is still on the fence windows 10 is easy and a huge improvement as you can see by the poll and from my own experience.
    3d printed parts and accessories for the G751. You know you want something better than OEM ->https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio

New ROGer Array

Hello.

I had the problem with getting stuck at 32% when upgrading from windows 8.1 to windows 10 and I solved it by disconnecting all my monitors except one. When I tried to upgrade my windows 8.1 desktop to Windows 10 again, it worked.

It seems windows 10 upgrade can not handle multiple monitors. I had 1 touchscreen and one older LED TV attached. I only used the touchscreen when it worked. Also, I used only Intels integrated card on my Maximus VI motherboard, and had no monitor attached to any of my other video cards.

Good luck!

ROG Junior Member Array

Old thread, sorry for digging it up if I'm in the wrong!

I've dug out my G751JY-T7117H and had the screen replaced by an Asus repair centre, having not used it for 3 years+. They re-imaged it some its back to what it was out of the box when I bought the laptop 4-5 years ago.

I'd like to go straight from 8.1 to Windows 10 but am concerned that I'll lose the Asus/RoG software that came with the laptop and thus lose functionality etc - can I simply upgrade without losing the software installed on my laptop?

Must I do the upgrade from a USB stick or can I upgrade directly through the laptop, having downloaded the update?

Forgive the basicness of questions, it is a long time since I've gotten into the nitty gritty of setting up a new machine!

New ROGer Array Jesseinsf PC Specs
    Jesseinsf PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG Maximus XI Extreme (Z390)
    ProcessorIntel Core i9 9900K
    Memory (part number)Corsair CMW128GX4M4E3200C16
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Sound CardCreative Labs Sound Blaster AE-9
    MonitorSamsung 32" UH750 QLED UHD Monitor
    Storage #1Samsung 970 Pro M.2 PCIe SSD 1TB
    CPU CoolerCooler Master MLX-D36M-A20PC-R1 w/ Noctua NF-F12 industrialPPC-2000 IP67 PWM x3 Fans
    CaseLian Li PC-011 Dynamic XL (ROG Certified)
    Power SupplyCooler Master V1200 Platinum
    Keyboard RAZER HUNTSMAN ELITE - LINEAR OPTICAL SWITCH (Red) w/ PBT Keycaps
    Mouse Razer Basilisk Ultimate with Charging Dock
    Headset Bowers and Wilkins P9 Signature
    Mouse Pad Razer Vespula V2 Mousepad
    Headset/Speakers Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II
    OS Windows 10 Pro for Workstations
    Network RouterROG Rapture GT-AC5300
    Accessory #1 Microsoft Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2
    Accessory #2 Logitech BRIO ULTRA HD PRO WEBCAM

The Asus software has to be compatible for windows 10. If it is not compatible with windows 10 then it may or may not be there when you do the upgrade. Usually the Windows download tool will check for incompatible software and inform you with anything that is not compatible before it proceeds. Also, you don't have to create Windows installation media. You can do an in-place upgrade without USB thumb drives or DVDs. My suggestion before you upgrade is to re-activate your PC before upgrading to Windows 10. Most OEMs have a deal With Microsoft where they don't have to activate. I've had this issue many times before. First I tried upgrading and Windows 10 would not activate. But if I forced a reactivation before upgrading to Windows 10 then Windows 10 would activate properly.

Upgrade to Windows 10 from this Microsoft Website: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

Quote Originally Posted by RonSwansonator View Post
    Old thread, sorry for digging it up if I'm in the wrong!

I've dug out my G751JY-T7117H and had the screen replaced by an Asus repair centre, having not used it for 3 years+. They re-imaged it some its back to what it was out of the box when I bought the laptop 4-5 years ago.

I'd like to go straight from 8.1 to Windows 10 but am concerned that I'll lose the Asus/RoG software that came with the laptop and thus lose functionality etc - can I simply upgrade without losing the software installed on my laptop?

Must I do the upgrade from a USB stick or can I upgrade directly through the laptop, having downloaded the update?

Forgive the basicness of questions, it is a long time since I've gotten into the nitty gritty of setting up a new machine!
    Just copy your esupport folder first to a usb stick and then do a clean install of windows 10.
    Running the esupport/Asus install will install all your drivers and Rog software that was originally installed, or you can pick and choose what software you actually want and exclude those you dont.
    G750 -JHA -32GB -256GB SSD -512GB SAMSUNG 840 PRO SSD
    Windows 8.1...Home Ed.
    Latest Kit..Sep 2016
    G752-VY-32GB- 2 X 256GB SSD'S + 512GB SAMSUNG 840 PRO Windows 10 Home Edition.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7