Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Cecil_2099, for 7c, you're using the wrong version of ATK...

You should use this as a guide:
    http://www.asus.com/event/2015/osupg...html#ap-driver

However, since you are using ATK 1.0.0038 or newer, all you really need to do is enable the OSD portion as seen here for the OSD stuff to work, I couldn't get my ROG key working either on the G74SX-3DE.

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1012798/

ROG Member Array

Driver_Power_State_Failure problem

Hi all,

Sorry if this issue has already been discussed on forum - but I could not find any message about this and therefore this post.

I have discovered a quite big problem since upgrading to Windows 10 on my G75VW

When trying to shut down my computer - or even re-starting it - nothing happens except a message about shutting down.

A few times I have got a blue screen (oh no - not this blue screen issue as in the "good old days") saying:

DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

Until now I didn't find any solution for this on the web and only way to solve this problem has been the hard way to push and hold down the "ON" button.

Of course I consider to roll back to my previous Windows 7 environment - but sometimes the "easy way" is not the best way... - actually I also thought about buying a new computer

I hope that some of you hardcore guys out there can assist me with this problem - it is quite frustrating to know that every evening I must kill my computer the hard way.

Anyone with good ideas...

Thanks a lot in advance.
    /TeamBMW

ROG Member Array

I finally figured it out! When windows 10 came out, I opted for the windows update route for installation, since when I tried to use the installation tool to create a usb version to do a clean install would never work because it would not install to a drive with GPT partitions.
    The upgrade went fairly well. I had trouble with the audio driver, but used the sticky at the top of the forum to correct it. All my old programs and data pretty much worked. The only issue was, I wanted to install it on my SSD, but it did not give me any option where to install.
    So I just went along with it. Once it was complete, The boot time was unbearable, my HDD was constantly at 100% activity, and it was SLOW overall. So I started digging and found an article on how to do a clean install.

The article said to go ahead and install via the upgrade on windows update and let it activate and all that like I did. Then go to the MS site and download the 64 bit version of win 10 as an ISO. Then use Rufus to create the USB Boot drive. Rufus allows you to select MBR or GPT on your destination drive when you are creating the image.
    Once I disabled all other boot devices besides the usb in the bios, it booted perfectly into the usb and allowed me to do a 100% clean install on the SSD. I skipped the pages that ask for the windows key. Once it was completely installed it automatically activated.

Now all is right in the world again! Win10 on my SSD is fast as lightning and everything works perfectly. All the old codecs and garbage that was on the old win 7 drive is gone and doesnt interfere with anything. I was having horrible shockwave issues on the initial upgrade but all of that is now resolved as well.
    It boots in seconds, and runs everything I have perfectly. I did have to do the audio fix twice to get it working right, but even that works great now.
    Im glad I was able to get this done!

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Clintlgm PC Specs
    Clintlgm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G752VY DH72
    MotherboardAsus Z97 Pro WiFi and /Z97 Pro A
    ProcessorI7 4790K
    Storage #1512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    Storage #21 TB Samsun 850 Pro
    CaseCool Master Haf
    OS Win 8.1 Pro and Win 10 Pro

Well since you have upgraded and activate I think I would try a clean install. Once you do the upgrade and activate you can Clean Install get your IS Here http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/windows10 I would just let it create a bootable Install media. On start up hit the Esc key and a boot menu will come up select your UEFI USB media. That is unless you have reinstall window 7 in BIOS MBR Legacy mode?
    G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
    512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
    980m GTX 4 GB
    32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
    Windows 10 Pro
    Z97 -A
    Windows 10 Pro

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Clintlgm View Post
    Well since you have upgraded and activate I think I would try a clean install. Once you do the upgrade and activate you can Clean Install get your IS Here http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/windows10 I would just let it create a bootable Install media. On start up hit the Esc key and a boot menu will come up select your UEFI USB media. That is unless you have reinstall window 7 in BIOS MBR Legacy mode?
    Hi mate,

Thank you for your input.

Actually I am not a harcore technical guy - my G75VW was delivered with Windows 7 pre-installed and I did not modify anything during preparing the computer from the first day.

Just to be sure about the clean installation you are talking about - do I need to start all over during installation, or will I get the option to keep my installed programs, documents and other files?

Sorry to sound quite noob - but as said I am not that technical.

Thanks for your assistance so far...
    /TeamBMW

ROG Member Array

Windows 10 upgrade experience for Asus G74SX 3d model -

- Pre-upgrade - Win 7 64-bit Home
    Issues noticed -
    * after installing a 1TB SSHD hybrid drive, the OS would hang/freeze after resuming from sleep and only a hard powercycle would bring it back
    * high CPU/GPU temps (idle cpu = 65C, idle gpu=55C, under load cpu = 97C and thermal throttling always on cpu core 2, rest of cores around 95C, under load gpu = 85C. This is with GTA V - very high textures using 2.4GB VRAM)
    * slow/sluggish response at times
    * under intense game load, max cpu freq was always 2994MHz (x28)

Used a dust buster to clean the vents and temps dropped about 8C to 89C cpu under load, 79C GPU under load. (GTA V)
    Idle temps dropped about 4C

_ Upgrade went smooth and took about 40mins.

- Post-upgrade - Win 10 64-bit Home
    Benefits
    * no more hangs after resuming from sleep.
    * cpu/gpu temps are now strangely lower on their own. Idle cpu temp is now approx 40C cpu, 36C gpu. Max cpu temp is now 75C with GTA V, max gpu temp is now 71C. No other changes so this is very puzzling to me.
    * the touchpad got enabled and I noticed the sentellic driver ver updated and it was just a matter of disabling. However, after each resume from sleep I have to unplug/replug mouse to disable touchpad each time like before. I will just disable entire touchpad again.
    * hwinfo64 now reports x30-x31 boost when gaming. Max freq program shows is now 3093MHz (about 100MHz more than before under Win 7). This used to be x28 in Win 7
    * Overall feel is very clean and nice. The laptop seems zippy. I'll be buying a 1TB Corsair SSD (I have 1TB SSHD and 750GB HDD) to speed it up vastly.
    * Windows store is nice, MS Edge is actually very nice (but I'm sticking with my Opera Beta, best browser ever
    * Cortana is very nice. Bing is very well integrated and nice. Using this almost exclusively

Minor quibbles
    * the default win 10 fonts all seem super tiny. Had to increase it a bit (making it bold makes it look real nice)
    * scrollbars look like win 95 scroll bars for some reason
    * where is solitaire? I used to like to play that before. It is missing? There's some ad filled Solitaire collection but no actual solitaire game.
    * who installed candy crush? It seems to have installed by default.
    * unable to disable bluetooth. Need to figure this out
    * nvidia driver via geforce experience kept complaining "incompatible with this ver of windows and no compatible nvidia hw found". Had to manually force by downloading driver instead of geforce experience
    * nvidia driver install required 2 reboots - one after it removed it, then rebooted and resumed and installed win 10 driver. There doesn't seem to be the feature which was there in Win 7 - install the new drivers without reboot
    * The annoying UAC messages are all still there.
    * battery status shows - 96% plugged in, not charging. Battery doesn't seem to be going to 100% anymore? each reboot is dropping it by 1%. But it seems to be ok for now. Maybe needs a better driver.

Overall after a couple of days, the experience is positive but I have a month still to roll back if needed.
    Last edited by FaniRama; 08-15-2015 at 01:40 PM.

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Clintlgm PC Specs
    Clintlgm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G752VY DH72
    MotherboardAsus Z97 Pro WiFi and /Z97 Pro A
    ProcessorI7 4790K
    Storage #1512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    Storage #21 TB Samsun 850 Pro
    CaseCool Master Haf
    OS Win 8.1 Pro and Win 10 Pro

Yes Clean Install mean you Start the install on a clean disk! you have to install all your hardware drivers and reinstall all your software.
    Since you say, you haven't updated anything since you got this notebook. I was basing my reply assuming that you have updated all you hardware drivers. So you can go to Asus Support Downloads and download and install all the hard ware drivers there for your notebook. These are all Tested and approved drivers for your notebook. Since we are 2 generations back in technology we may have to find drivers that will work in windows 10 Some supplied by Microsoft may work some of the Windows 8.1 driver may work.
    For you, you should look in the Windows 8.1 Section. It appears Asus is not going to support Windows 10 for our notebooks. For a less than techy type window 10 may be more trouble than it worth. Keep reading all the Windows 10 threads here and elsewhere especially as some of the more techy type are posting how they have overcome the issues that come up. Windows 10 Forum
    Last edited by Clintlgm; 08-15-2015 at 03:51 PM.
    G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
    512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
    980m GTX 4 GB
    32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
    Windows 10 Pro
    Z97 -A
    Windows 10 Pro

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Clintlgm View Post
    Yes Clean Install mean you Start the install on a clean disk! you have to install all your hardware drivers and reinstall all your software.
    Since you say, you haven't updated anything since you got this notebook. I was basing my reply assuming that you have updated all you hardware drivers. So you can go to Asus Support Downloads and download and install all the hard ware drivers there for your notebook. These are all Tested and approved drivers for your notebook. Since we are 2 generations back in technology we may have to find drivers that will work in windows 10 Some supplied by Microsoft may work some of the Windows 8.1 driver may work.
    For you, you should look in the Windows 8.1 Section. It appears Asus is not going to support Windows 10 for our notebooks. For a less than techy type window 10 may be more trouble than it worth. Keep reading all the Windows 10 threads here and elsewhere especially as some of the more techy type are posting how they have overcome the issues that come up. Windows 10 Forum
    Hi again,

OK - I was kind of aware that the clean install is "all-over-from-new-once-again" - and of course it makes sense...

And yes, of course I updated drivers during the time I have had my G75 and all drivers should be up to date - though I have not looked into the Windows 8.1 drivers - so maybe I should take a look on this.

Today I actually went out looking for the new generation of the G-Series and I must say that I am quite close to go for an invenstment in a brand new notebook with latest i7 technology and of course SSD - then some of my kids can have my G75 afterwards when I have taken all my files onto the new notebook.

I have been looking for these two notebooks - but not yet decided which one it is going to be (if I will go the "easy way"

http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/ASUS_R...pecifications/
    http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/G501JW/specifications/
    /TeamBMW

ROG Member Array

I have a G75VW, did the update route to 10 from 8.1. It went smooth and I hit the usual sound and function key bug. I got the sound working from user posts here but was unable to get the function key to work. My biggest draw back which ultimately led to rolling back to 8.1 is that Age of Mythology and Age of Wonders 3 would not boot. It seems every other game works fine and 10 was wonderful, but Microsoft games are not supported thoroughly. For a game that released in March, you would think it would scream on 10. Wonders simply would not load. MS tried to help on their community site but it all led to more troubleshooting than it was worth. Maybe in a year I will go back to 10, for now 8.1 works just fine for what I do.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

FaniRama,

Disabling Bluetooth

Saw this on tenforums as it seems the Microsoft Win10 bluetooth drivers don't have the bluetooth on/off switch and this is how you turn BT off:

Open Control Panel, click on Device Manager

OR

Right click on the Windows logo AKA the start button, select Run
    Then type in devmgmt.msc and hit enter to open Device Manager

Double click on your computer name (if it's not open already), double click on Bluetooth, right click on the Bluetooth Adapter then click Disable or Enable

This way you can stop and start the Bluetooth Adapter from searching for devices at your convenience.

As for Solitaire, there is also Minesweeper that's missing:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/225128/you-dont-have-to-pay-20-a-year-for-solitaire-and-minesweeper-on-windows-10/

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast