cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DO NOT install w10 on the G20

tretnod
Level 7
DO NOT install windows 10 on the g20, from experience I can state it turns your expensive desktop into the equivalent of a potato. Tried to resolve the issue through cus. service twice, got hung up on, twice. At least my non-functioning desktop is still more valuable than the customer support.
10 REPLIES 10

Phigmeta
Level 7
tretnod wrote:
DO NOT install windows 10 on the g20, from experience I can state it turns your expensive desktop into the equivalent of a potato. Tried to resolve the issue through cus. service twice, got hung up on, twice. At least my non-functioning desktop is still more valuable than the customer support.

Yep I have a Windows 10 Potato

OH and the recovery partition is GONE!! I can't even safemode and pull the video card

Jesus Microsoft, HOW CAN YOU BE THIS BAD!!!!

xeromist
I figured some OEM systems would get bricked with MS indiscriminately pushing the upgrade but I didn't think it'd be the G20. Sorry to hear it guys. 😞
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

OK GOOD NEWS !!!

I now know how to upgrade your windows 10 without turning it into a potato

1) turn of screen spanning.
2) unplug EVERYTHING
3) Go into the bios and set your PRIMARY display to the CPU video port
4) Plug 1 monitor into the HDMI that is integrated with your motherboard
5)Take update / boot your potato
6)Get all the way thru the install
7) reboot a few times thru the updates
😎 Install the Ge-force Experience
9) Wait for the driver updates
10) Plugin and reconfigure the monitors
11) Curse Microsoft for being so stupid.

dianebrat
Level 9
There's no issue upgrading the G20 to Win 10 if you just do some appropriate prep.

Upgraded without any issues, since we already knew the Nvidia drivers were an issue I updated with todays released Win 10 compatible Nvidia driver, then let Win 10 upgrade, zero issues and my machine still flies at full resolution

Ravenholme
Level 7
Yes i patched my system with the newest Nvidia drivers FIRST. then i started the win 10 update. (still going, no probs, and I don't expect any)

steele_22
Level 8
No issues here either. Running the newest bios and all the latest drivers.

Phigmeta
Level 7
While thats cute to say, and I am sure that in your cases you did indeed get lucky, some of us updated an hour or so before nvidia put out new drivers. Yes that is correct, nvidia released drivers for 10 hours after many of us had already pulled the trigger.

Even for those of you that installed the 353.30 being super smart, you would have run face first into the potato maker if you had SLI or a quad screen (as was my issue).

TLDR - YOUR experience is not the same as everyone's experience, Never confuse wisdom with luck.

Judtified
Level 7
Yes sorry to say..was stupid and didn't wait to see if there would be issues. Worked with Microsoft techs for several days and they failed to help. Took pc to Geek Squad at Best Buy where I purchased it and had several friends there look at it and they could not restore it even with back up CD. Had to purchase Win 8.1 and do complete new install.

Judtified wrote:
Yes sorry to say..was stupid and didn't wait to see if there would be issues. Worked with Microsoft techs for several days and they failed to help. Took pc to Geek Squad at Best Buy where I purchased it and had several friends there look at it and they could not restore it even with back up CD. Had to purchase Win 8.1 and do complete new install.

You didn't need to purchase a new copy of Win 8.1, since you already have a legal Key. The Geek Squad could of grab a Windows 8.1 disk, which I'm sure they had sitting around, and loaded it using the Key already built into your G20AJ.

I would bring that that disk back to BB, and point it out about your already built in Key in your system. If they refuse to return your money, bring the issue up w/Microsoft. I had an issue years ago w/one of Microsoft's OS's, where I got in touch w/them, and wanted my money back on it, and got reimburst.
. ROG Zephyrus GA401QM (Q14) Laptop, AMD Ryzen 9 5900H CPU; Nvidia RTX 3060 GPU; 24 GB DDR4 (1x8 GB, 1x16); 1 TB Samsung Pro980 M.2 SSD; Windows 10 Pro