cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 recovery set possible etc ?

pka4916
Level 7
now with Windows 10, is there a way to make a recovery set, like we had with windows 8 ?
also.. where to get the license key for Windows 10 now and drivers.. (if needed)
11 REPLIES 11

Clintlgm
Level 14
As long as you upgrade to 10 you will not need a key for win 10 to activate. Recovery will be windows 10 issue. If you want a reliable recovery I would suggest Macrium Reflect the free edition will image your hard drive/SSD and restore it to the condition of the time of creation. I would highly suggest your create a Image of your windows 8.1 hard drive before you attempt installing win 10
I myself will watch this and the 10 forums for awhile before I upgrade. Sorry it seem that website is down??:eek: not a good sign.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

pka4916
Level 7
With the tool that they provided here, I was able to make an install USB, which sets everything up default etc..
Idk If there is a tool for Windows 10, to make a install usb stick.
an Image I don't need, I want a setup install.
I already went to Win 10, and had no problems.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 here it is right from Microsoft select the correct version Core or pro single language. 32 bit or 64 bit you can create a bootable USB or download an ISO your choice.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

pka4916
Level 7
I already did that last night..

But what I mean was creating an install set like the Asus program did..
Making the Partitions, Recovery partition etc..

With a Windows install USB, I still need to find all the Drivers for the keyboard / Asus Fan etc etc.. Since there are no Windows 10 drivers on the site.. or will all the Windows 8.1 drivers work..

That's what I likes about the 16 Gb installer usb from Asus... plain install / and will setup everything with the usb stick.

I doubt Asus is going to create one for you!!! I suppose that the notebooks sold after yesterday will have the same Asus Backtracker as they did for Win 8.1 If you have clean installed or even upgraded to 10 most likely attempting to create a Backtracker USB Recovery media will not work.
You can easily download all the latest hardware driver from Asus Support Downloads good images are much more reliable. You should create on each stage of a clean install that way you can go back to any point of the install. I make on with windows only, then again with hardware drivers installed, then again with windows updated, then again with all my software installed I keep that one and start a disk image with everything installed and create weekly incremental backups. I back up my data daily. Any issues arise I can restore any of these images or back ups with out any issues. Windows itself will restore to a earlier date or time. Refresh or restore. So there you go. I wouldn't expect much help from Asus on this, but then again they are still selling G751's so maybe so.

If you still on 8.1 and haven't formatted your hard drive you should be able to create the backtracker USB, however that will only put you back to win 8 or 8.1 which ever your notebook came with. So maybe when new user come in you might get one that has the exact model you have except with windows 10 you could get them to upload their recover partition for you?

Sorry I forgot which forum I was in. Asus hasn't supplied a restore disks since before the G75's with the G75 we created our own DVD or BR recover set. The G75Vx on Backtracker was used
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

pka4916
Level 7
I wasn't expecting that they would create a special version for me..
I was just wondering if the Backtracker that I used for Windows 8 also works for Windows 10.
But it seems that it's only backing up the Recovery partition, and I don't have that on my drive....

I didn't know if the drivers for Windows 8/ 8.1 would work for Windows 10, since I've read some issues about it on the forum

I didn't me just you, I ment that Asus is unlikely to post any win 10 driver for these older notebooks much less a recovery partition for windows 10

Yes that is all backtracker ever did was copy your Asus recover partition to the USB Drive. If you still have that recovery partition it should work. But that will only get you back to where your notebook was when it was shipped.

There seems to be lots of info coming in these forums on the upgrade to 10 also you can look and should get information on 10 from the tenforum

I personally don't plan to upgrade my notebook for a few months, if ever. If your reading these threads your seeing what others are having success with and issues with and how they solved them.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

pka4916
Level 7
Just wondering If the Win 8 / 8.1 drivers are working for this laptop, when I do a clean install for Windows 10.

And I only have this laptop for a year... so it's like brand new to me atm..

1. Do not clean install
2. Use the Windows update to update to window 10
3. Now you can clean install
4. Please read the thread on this window 10 upgrade. Also go to and read the information in the tenforums
5 If your not willing to research this you can expect to have issues that will not be easy to resolve.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro