cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can we MAXIMIZE the performance of G551JW? Need to hear from those who know.

akosimiko
Level 7

Overclock? How?
Updates? How
Add parts or replace? How?
4 REPLIES 4

Compwxr
Level 9
Hello there!
After spending 2 weeks with this notebook. I can share few tips.

- Asus G/GL551JW as we all know doesn't suplly a very effective cooling system, sharing heat between CPU/GPU.
There are few ways to solve this problem. Some of them need risky workarounds like flashing "EXPERIMENTAL" BIOS other's not.
In BIOS rev. 202 GPU throttling temps come at 74ºC. That makes the laptop unable to withstand long gaming or demanding periods without throttling down GPU to clocks where performance gets obviously low.

1st - Flash BIOS rev .204 where GPU throttling temp is set to 78ºC

2nd - Disable CPU Turboboost by changing in advanced power management (windows) the Maximum Processor State to i.e. 99% (This should lower temps in general) - Nowadays games require more GPU power than CPU.

3rd - Get some external software like "notebook fancontrol" to make the cooling fan spin constantly at maximum speed while gaming. I've set the config to "Asus Zenbook UX31A" - worked for me, bear in mind this will lower the life expectancy of your fan.

4th - ("RISKY") Get experimental BIOS rev .T06 that sets the GPU throttling temp even higher to 82ºC - This should solve all the Thermal throttling issues but it might not work for you and in worst case scenario brick the laptop.

5th - Use some external software to overclock the GPU like ASUS gpu tweak laptop version/NVIDIA Inspector/MSI Afterburner/EVGA Precision. Being limited to +135mhz on the GPU.

6th - Repaste GPU, CPU and other components with a better thermal paste, with the downside of loosing warranty in the process.

At last, I've been able to mod GPU vbios enabling higher OC and other customization. It's a risky procedure that might damage the hardware and I advise that if you are looking into it beware of loosing warranty and lower GPU life expectancy.

I'm free to answer further questions and I hope this small guide will prove usefull to other owner's.
Sorry for any spelling mistake as my english is not the best.
- Compwxr - Volter Team - Check us at http://voltground.com

akosimiko
Level 7
Thank you for this very informative reply. Anymore you can add, just post it here so that this will be one of the sources of information for those people who owns the said model.

biswa112
Level 7
What about g551jx ?
Whats its maximum throttling temperature for the gpu ?.
how efficent is its cooling ?

Compwxr
Level 9
Well you need to check that by yourself, install some monitoring app as I described up in the thread while gaming. I have no idea if the GTX 950m shares the same throttling temps of 960m. Even being same chip GM107
- Compwxr - Volter Team - Check us at http://voltground.com