cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Init VGA Data Fail. Please Restart GPU Tweak" ?

tanknology
Level 7
Hello,
I've installed GPU Tweak II ver1057.
Every time I try to launch it I get this error in a window pop up: "Init VGA Data Fail. Please Restart GPU Tweak".

I have tried the following:

Installed early versions (GPU Tweak I). Every time I try to launch these older versions, nothing happens. I see the GPUTweak.exe service start under windows services, but it disappears after 3-5 seconds.

Update nvidia drivers.

Installed on different hard drives and different folders from the default.

Tried in SLI and single card mode.

Turned off AI Suite 3

Ran application on different windows users.

Turned CPU OC off.

Are there any logs the application keeps for troubleshooting?
Any ideas?
Thanks

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
i7-5820k - OC'd
Strix GTX980 OC (SLI)
AI Suite 3 is installed
GeForce driver ver 353.62
4 REPLIES 4

Trauni
Level 7
Hi same here!
Board: Hero VII
Card: GTX980TI

Brian_Chen
Level 7
I have same problem. My board is H97-Pro Gamer and card is strix r9380. Does anyone get a solution to fix it? Thx.

ChikNoods
Level 9
I had this error a few days ago when explorer.exe crashed. rebooting fixed mine. im sure you tried that already

DeathtoGnomes
Level 9
If you open the GpuT2 file location [.....Program Files (x86)/Asus/GPU TweakII ], look for "InitData_Card1.ini". Open/Edit it with your favorite text editor. The very first section Titled "[VGACardInfo]" contains your card, if this is different than what you actually have, then ya you will have issues.

In the same folder is 3 other files with similar name ending Card1.ini to Card4.ini, i am thinking that if you installed your card in a different slot you might have one of these other files as the active settings file, I dont know for sure. (I find GpuT2 clumsily programmed to begin with, so it wouldnt surprise me to see this. )

I dont recommend this but, I renamed the unused InitCard2 - 4.ini files. I did this while I was looking for useless files. I dont know why ASUS includes ATIWinflash and files, ASUS doesnt even use Liveupdate, AFAIK its only in there as a marketing feature. Personally, I would never use auto-update for anything besides Windows Update.

Here is an example of mine:
[VGACardInfo]
DeviceID=0x679A
SSID=0x47E
ModelName=R9280-DC2 TOP
NV_BIOSString=NULL
AMD_OEMString=113-AD65700-100
BIOSDate=02/18/14 04:29

You can confirm some of these with a program like Speccy or other source you can get detailed System Information.
SpeedFan controls fans and temps, once you learn how to configure it properly. :cool: