cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 Wi-Fi Drivers Unsuitable (Slow Speeds!)

Gib007
Level 7
Yesterday I installed Windows 10 Home 64-bit in a fresh install, to upgrade from 8.1 64-bit. On 8.1 64-bit, my Wi-Fi worked flawlessly with Asus' provided drivers. I always got my full download speeds of about 6.6MB/s from Steam (my connection is a 54Mbps/5.4Mbps VDSL). This was over 5.0GHz Wi-Fi connected to a Belkin N600 Dual Band router 15 metres away and in line-of-sight.

Upon installing Windows 10, I was forced to use the Windows 8.1 drivers for the Wi-Fi, which seemed to work. However, on closer inspection today (installing games from Steam), I am getting a mere 3.0MB/s at full speed, which is less than half. To verify that it's indeed the Wi-Fi, I connected via Ethernet and continued the same download. This quickly went up to 6.6MB/s. Switching back to Wi-Fi got me my 3.0MB/s cap once again! 😞 On my 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network, it's even worse at 2.0MB/s maximum.

Please note that this is not a Wi-Fi interference issue of any kind. This is purely the switch from Windows 8.1 to 10, which I assume is drivers-related. Just a few hours earlier, on Windows 8.1, I was getting 6.6MB/s without a hitch on the same setup with the same drivers.

I don't know what specific Broadcom chip this motherboard uses but I searched online for Windows 10 drivers for a few hours to no avail. Anyone have any information or experiences on this, or better drivers? Thank you! 🙂
3 REPLIES 3

jezjohnson
Level 10

jezjohnson wrote:
Hi,

Try these updated ones from station-drivers

http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php/downloads/Drivers/Broadcom/Wlan/BCM-43xx-Wireless-802.11a-b...

Thank you for the link. I'm trying them as I type this but I'm hitting a peak at about 3.4MB/s, which is slightly, slightly better but not by much. I'm not sure what's going on but it seems using Wi-Fi on Windows 10 is cutting my Internet connection speed in half.

malwayne66
Level 7
I'm having similar issues, but since receiving my G750WJ about 3 weeks ive was always running Insider Preview. Wifi was initially fine, but during the final set of updates (corresponding with the release of Windows 10) I realized that my Wifi would slow to a crawl, and sometimes only after disabling then re-enabling the wifi adapter in Device Manager did the wifi go back to normal...only to slow down after about a minute . Not sure how to fix the issue and I can assume that my Home router is not the issue.