cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Guide] How to properly fix the G75VW touchpad driver after upgrading to Windows 10

thbdwn
Level 7
Hey!

I noticed Windows 10 insists on automatically installing the "best" broken Asus touchpad drivers - even over my manually installed Synaptics ones! If you want your touchpad options back like I did, here's how to fix the drivers for good.

This guide is for G75VW and assumes you have a USB mouse, as navigation with your touchpad drivers uninstalled isn't going to work very well. 🙂

1. Download these specific Synaptics Drivers, but do not install yet: http://dlm3cdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/G75VW/Touchpad_Synaptics_Win8_64_Test_Z16180.zip

2. Download this troubleshooter: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

3. Open the troubleshooter. Click "Next" -> "Hide updates."

3.1 If "ASUS - Other hardware - Asus Support Device" is shown, check the box and press next until the troubleshooter is done. SKIP TO STEP 7!

3.2 If "ASUS - Other hardware - Asus Support Device" is not shown, continue to step 4.

4. Go to Device Manager and uninstall the drivers for "Asus Support Device" under mice. If you're not sure how to do this, see this guide. Remove the driver package using the checkbox, too!

5. Restart your computer. Now, Windows will eventually try to re-download the drivers eventually, but you should be able to disable the driver from the troubleshooter before that happens.

6. Run the troubleshooter (step 3) once again. The Asus Support Device should now pop up as an option. Select it and go through the troubleshooter.

7. If it's still there, uninstall "Asus Support Device" in device manager, under mice (again, see step 4). Reboot.

8. Unzip the Synaptics driver folder and run the setup.exe

9. Restart your computer after it's done.

There! Now your trackpad options should correctly show up in Control Panel's Mouse Options, and Windows won't replace the drivers anymore.
15 REPLIES 15

Thach
Level 9
Thank you for the awesome guide on this. I seem to have a issue beating the re-download as mentioned in step 5. By the time I get the troubleshooter to run, I am already getting a popup saying the Asus recommended drivers have been installed and I need to restart. Any suggestions? I have disabled anything from startup that I think isn't important but still can't beat the installation message.

Galaian
Level 7
I'm having similar issues. I can't block the drivers from getting installed and they don't appear in the troubleshooter. When I DO try to run the new drivers, it says there's no synaptics device.

thbdwn
Level 7
Hmm. Have you guys tried to uninstall the drivers and not restart, but run the troubleshooter immediately after?

If that works for you, I'll fix it in the guide.

And if that doesn't do it, you could of course disconnect your laptop from the internet to prevent Windows from checking for updates (of course you'll need to be connected when running the troubleshooter). Or y'know, use Safe Mode, but I'm not too familiar with that personally.

Later today I'm going to intentionally break my drivers. I'll come up with a better guide then

EDIT: didn't find the option to re-enable updates for the toucpad in the tool, weird

badboy71
Level 7
It work for me without hide the Asus update. I just installed the asus driver and HAVEN'T reboot my pc. After I installed the synaptic driver and reboot. Now it work and windows haven't ask me for any update.

Sorry for my poor english.

Thank you for all thbdwn. 10 days I try to fix this.

Thanks for this thread! I didn't have to do use the automatic hide updates utility. Once I uninstalled the device, Windows automatically found a Synaptics PS/2 driver. After that, it was a simple matter of installing the driver you provided from ASUS to restore my trackpad functionality!

Now my external mouse works like it did before and it disables the trackpad when it's plugged in. I hit that damn thing so many times while typing, and this Win10 upgrade was driving me insane! This was icing on the cake, so thanks a lot for this!

kwaclaw
Level 7
Another thing that worked for me - with the Synaptics OEM drivers for Win10 - was:

1) Uninstall Asus Support device - for me it showed up as PS/2 Mouse after reboot.
2) Download and install the newest Synpatics Windows10 drivers for PS/2 devices:
http://drivers.synaptics.com/Synaptics_v19_0_19_1__C__x86-x64__Win10__Signed__MS_Win10_UXUI_PS2_SMbu...
3) Go into Device Manager, right click on that PS/2 Mouse and select "Update Driver Software".
4) Then click "Browse my computer for driver software", and on the next screen click "Let me pick from a list..."
5) On that screen uncheck "Show compatible hardware" and you should see a Synaptics entry in the Manufacturer list.
6) Select the Synaptics entry and then on the right pick the "Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad" device.
7) When you click Next you get a warning that Windows cannot verify it is compatible, ignore it and continue with the install.

Hope this helps.

Karl

stararasty
Level 7
thbdwn wrote:

Hi, when i try to unzip t and run the setup.exe an error pops up saying Synaptics device not found, i have run it as an administrator as well but nothing.

do you know anythign about this?? 😕

Sounds like a corrupted file, re download the file again.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

stararasty wrote:
thbdwn wrote:

Hi, when i try to unzip t and run the setup.exe an error pops up saying Synaptics device not found, i have run it as an administrator as well but nothing.

do you know anythign about this?? 😕

I'm getting this too.