cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with Built-In Microphone Quality

Doggie52
Level 7
Dear users,

I just recently bought a G53SX-S1139V and I am incredibly happy with it except for one little issue. My built-in microphone quality in VOIP applications like Skype is unbearably bad. The other parties can barely make out what I am saying -- compared to my PC where I have a microphone plugged in it is very bad.

I have the latest audio drivers installed from the ASUS support site -- is there anything else I should do to increase the quality? Are there other drivers I must use too? I doubt the microphone is actually that bad, I mean even my old Dell Mini 10v had better quality.

Let me know if you need to see the detailed specs of my laptop. Looking forward to any help!

// Doggie52
11 REPLIES 11

dstrakele
Level 14
Have you accessed the Sound dialog, selected the "Recording" tab, clicked on the Microphone, and clicked the "Properties" button? You can adjust microphone volume and microphone boost in the "Levels" tab and choose Immediate Mode, DC Offset Cancelation, Noise Suppression, and Acoustic Echo Cancelation in the "Enhancements" tab. In the Advanced tab, you can experiment with the Default Mode sound quality.

If you have an Atheros Wireless Network Adapter, be sure to upgrade the driver to 9.2.1.432 or later. Earlier driver versions have bad DPC Latency, which may interfere with your Skype conversations.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
Have you accessed the Sound dialog, selected the "Recording" tab, clicked on the Microphone, and clicked the "Properties" button? You can adjust microphone volume and microphone boost in the "Levels" tab and choose Immediate Mode, DC Offset Cancelation, Noise Suppression, and Acoustic Echo Cancelation in the "Enhancements" tab. In the Advanced tab, you can experiment with the Default Mode sound quality.

If you have an Atheros Wireless Network Adapter, be sure to upgrade the driver to 9.2.1.432 or later. Earlier driver versions have bad DPC Latency, which may interfere with your Skype conversations.

I've tried playing around with all the settings I could find, without any success. The quality is still rubbish. Also, the quality is bad when 'Listening' to my microphone too, so it cannot be the network adapter drivers. It makes no sense that the quality is this bad -- should I simply try reinstalling my sound drivers and see what happens?

dstrakele
Level 14
Be sure the "Listen to this device" checkbox is UNchecked, and make a recording with the Windows Sound Recorder utiility. How does that sound?

dstrakele wrote:
Be sure the "Listen to this device" checkbox is UNchecked, and make a recording with the Windows Sound Recorder utiility. How does that sound?

Doesn't sound good (i.e. same as before). It sounds a bit like I'm speaking into a jar + some very low bitrate. I will install the latest Realtek driver and report back.

EDIT: No luck there. I have the latest driver released just a few days ago and still the same crappy quality. What else could be wrong?

dstrakele
Level 14
Do you have any other sound-enhancing software installed on your G53SX (i.e. Creative THX, Audio Essentials)?

How does music streamed or played from a local file sound?

dstrakele wrote:
Do you have any other sound-enhancing software installed on your G53SX (i.e. Creative THX, Audio Essentials)?

How does music streamed or played from a local file sound?

Negative. Not that I know of. This is a clean install and I've only installed the audio drivers (related to audio, that is).

Sound output is great, no problem there. It seems to only be the microphone that is acting up.

dstrakele
Level 14
If you move the display (lid) in an open and close motion, does the sound from the microphone change?

Did the microphone work correctly with the pre-installed ASUS Windows OS?

dstrakele wrote:
If you move the display (lid) in an open and close motion, does the sound from the microphone change?

Did the microphone work correctly with the pre-installed ASUS Windows OS?

To answer your first question, the sound does not change noticeably, no. I cannot accurately keep the volume constant but the quality is the same.

I do not know, did not check that before formatting. In fact, I am starting to doubt that my microphone can do any better. Can someone upload a test sound recorded from their G53SX microphone so I get some proof that I actually can reach a better quality?

Is there anything else you suggest? Thank you, in the meantime, for your fast replies and your good suggestions.

Doggie52
Level 7
Interestingly enough, a friend of mine purchased the same identical laptop a few days ago. He did not format his operating system and we compared our voice qualities with his out-of-the-box laptop and my cleanly formatted. We found that they were identical -- so this would appear to be a flaw with the design of the laptop. I can't believe they put in a cheap microphone in such an expensive laptop; the microphone of my $300 Dell Mini 10v was way better than this.