Level 7
Setup:

Mobo: Asus Maximus VI Impact
Memory: G.SKILL SNIPER DDR3-2133 4GBx2
CPU: I5-4670k
GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 760
PSU: EVGA NEX750B

Description:

After I turned off my computer one night, I couldn't even POST the next day when I tried to start it up.

I google'ed around and tried the following steps:

1. Leave only CPU(i5 4470k) socketed. Stuck on qcode 53 (Memory initialization error. No usable memory detected). Which is good. I need to plug back in my memory

2. Leave only CPU and one stick of memory socketed(furthest slot from CPU). Stuck on qcode A2 (IDE Detect). Need harddrive to boot from?

3. plug back in my SSD, still stuck on qcode A2.

4. tried new sata cable, new sata power cable, different sata port on the mobo, different power port on PSU. still stuck on qcode A2.

5. continue from previous step upgraded my BIOS to newest with ROG Connect. The qcode cycles randomly through 26 - 27 - 28 29 - 30 and eventually stuck on 26.

6. Pressed Clr CMOS and qcode quickly turns to 00 then the mobo shuts down and reboots by itself. After reboot, stuck on qcode A2 again.

Now I'm totally lost as to what to do next. Is my mobo still savable? the only similar story I read on this forum ends up with the buyer gave up and bought a totally brand new board.
5 REPLIES 5

InfernoStorm
Level 10
RMA would probably be the best choice for you.

I recommend taking out the battery, although this is practically the same as the CLR CMOS button on the back I/O. The 00 error is a very strange error code that no one has really figured out. Try removing everything off the board (including CPU) and then pull off the battery and wait a few minutes.

It's worth a try?

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi abcnever and Welcome to ROG.

I think your Bios is trying to detect IDE (Qcode A2) and cant find a device, Probably cause of incorrect Bios setting for your SSD priority.

If unable to access Bios during post, Try using the direct key on the MB.
With the system powered on, press the direct key. The system will shut down. Press the direct key again and it will take you direct to Bios.

When in Bios go to >Advanced menu> SATA mode selection and ensure AHCI is enabled.
Go to Boot menu and disable fast boot initially.
Go to SATA support and choose all devices.
Ensure your SSD SATA cables are plugged in correctly and to correct SATA ports.

You can also try to reflash your Bios to latest, if the above is unsuccessful. Failing all the above measures, you will have to RMA.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

Thanks meanmachine, I will try the direct key.

MeanMachine wrote:
Hi abcnever and Welcome to ROG.

I think your Bios is trying to detect IDE (Qcode A2) and cant find a device, Probably cause of incorrect Bios setting for your SSD priority.

If unable to access Bios during post, Try using the direct key on the MB.
With the system powered on, press the direct key. The system will shut down. Press the direct key again and it will take you direct to Bios.

When in Bios go to >Advanced menu> SATA mode selection and ensure AHCI is enabled.
Go to Boot menu and disable fast boot initially.
Go to SATA support and choose all devices.
Ensure your SSD SATA cables are plugged in correctly and to correct SATA ports.

You can also try to reflash your Bios to latest, if the above is unsuccessful. Failing all the above measures, you will have to RMA.

THANK YOU! I could boot into BIOS setup and display it on my monitor with the onboard graphics. Did a BIOS setting reset and rebooted up my baby. then voila! booted into win7! Thanks man! Guess I don't have to RMA the board anymore 😄

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi abcnever and that's great news, I'm glad you got it sorted.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]