cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

780 Watt Asus G20AJ Mod

steele_22
Level 8
I just ordered the Sager\Clevo dual 300W power bricks with the Sager\Clevo converter box that links the two together. I'll just have to open up the converter and change the adapter to fit the Asus G20 and I'll end up with 600W & most importantly 30 amps to my GTX 980 TI for heavy overclocking. So the machine will have a total of 780w between the 3 power supplies.

Here is what the kits looks like. Purchased from XOTICPC for 390 + S&H

15 REPLIES 15

rpc72
Level 7
Great find! Let us know how it goes. What's the model number of the kit btw?

steele_22 wrote:
I just ordered the Sager\Clevo dual 300W power bricks with the Sager\Clevo converter box that links the two together. I'll just have to open up the converter and change the adapter to fit the Asus G20 and I'll end up with 600W & most importantly 30 amps to my GTX 980 TI for heavy overclocking. So the machine will have a total of 780w between the 3 power supplies.

Here is what the kits looks like. Purchased from XOTICPC for 390 + S&H

Ravenholme
Level 7
wait... what??? lol

Ravenholme
Level 7
So my engineering friend thinks this is a bad idea... just warned you in advance. lol you might cook the other power supply by making one the load. anyway your risk. It really depends on that converter box and what is in it and what it really does I suppose.

I'll stick with the 1 330+180 separate connectors to the tower 😛

This isn't being spliced together this entire kit sold by Sager. It includes all pictures items. Only thing I need to do is replace the Sager output jack with a Dell\HP One.

steele_22
Level 8
This is only for the GPU. Not the mobo. Sager uses this to power their high end laptops with big GPUS. This would be like linking two 330w Dell\alienware adapters for the GPU. It's actually already been done before and you get twice the power on your alienware M18X there are plenty of how to guide. But this is easier than hacking two Dell power supplies and looks better so I'm going this rought as Sager has already done the hard work. I know a lot about electricity and there isn't any red flags here. Only issue that could be is I wasted my money cause the G20 won't be able to use the power. If it does work and it should I'll have the most powerful G20 on the planet for the time being.

Ravenholme
Level 7
yeah my concern really is that you're making it for the sake of it lol. I don't know if it'll be utilized at all, I think the 330w PSU from Dell was good enough lol.

steele_22
Level 8
Well I finished the mod and ended up using dual 330W Clevo bricks for a total of 660W and 34A. I can now run Firestrike Ultra with a 250Mhz Memory OC and a 150Mhz GPU OC and not crash the PSU. Before I would have to limit the power to 80-85% to run Firestrike Ultra and not crash. This was just a quick OC and might even be able to push the card further. 51056

Ravenholme
Level 7
Crazy lol

Here is my 3D Mark Firestrike results after the new bricks and a 240Mhz core OC.

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/5707382