i keep getting overclocking failed when i overclock my cpu

i7 3960x stock
asus rampage iv
sli gtx 980 ti
Evga supernova 1500
custom cooling
windows 10 pro

ps: it was happening before when i was on windows 7 and windows 8.1

i set it manual and then sync all cores and choose 41 or 42 or 43 and vcore voltage i change it to 1.300 and dram freq i change it to my ram freq which is 2400mhz and save and restart and pc keeps restarting few times then say overclocking failed

bios is the latest

what am doing wrong ?
7 REPLIES 7

Chino
Level 15
The Pverclocking Failed message appears if your system wasn't shutdown correctly or if your overclock is unstable. And since you're overclocking, I'd say you're suffering from the latter.

CiNCiTy
Level 7
yes and i dont know why the reason its unstable what am i doing wrong ?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
This is usually RAM related...

When you say you set 2400 do you also set Vdimm to 1.65 too....setting up manually...or do you set XMP?

What RAM exact kit or kits if you have mixed kits (even two of same type)

3960X were better on earlier BIOS 4102 or earlier for some RAM kits....

Have you changed any settings in Digi + section...like setting current capability for RAM to 120%...phases to optimized https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?25510-Rampage-IV-Extreme-RAM-Guide&p=187479&viewfull=1#pos...

graphic
Level 11
From my experience and from what I've read it's very hard to run ram at 2400... blame the cpu,
I'm running a 3930k as I think my 4930k sucked. FSB 125, core speed 4250 Mhz approx, v core
I think 1.36V( have it on auto in bios , Ram 32GB 2000 Mhz, You could try 2133... Chino and Arne
know their stuff, I still consider myself a noob when it comes to overclocking, Good luck.

CiNCiTy
Level 7
no i did not touch anything related to ram and i made it Manuel not XMP xmp change back my cpu overclocking to the stock and it sets ram to 2400 but when i make it Manuel i do not touch anything related to ramz only freq and i change it to 2400mhz only

i have corsair dominator platinum 2400mhz i have 4x8gb same kit same freq and all

CiNCiTy wrote:
no i did not touch anything related to ram and i made it Manuel not XMP xmp change back my cpu overclocking to the stock and it sets ram to 2400 but when i make it Manuel i do not touch anything related to ramz only freq and i change it to 2400mhz only

i have corsair dominator platinum 2400mhz i have 4x8gb same kit same freq and all

I have the same Ram, I have not been successful at 2400 Mhz. I'm sure it's possible just alot of tweaking
and understanding, if your fsb is stock 100, lower ram frequency to 1866, see if it successfully boots. Just
because the Ram say's 2400Mhz, does not mean it can do it.

Take note post #4

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?49950-Hero-VII-Overclocking-Ram-to-2400mhz-with-hyperx-Beas...

http://www.masterslair.com/determining-your-maximum-bclk-base-clock-frequency-i7-i5-i3

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
The RAM will run 2400 no problem...the problem can lie with the IMC on the CPU...the memory controller might not be able to do it..

That said it doesn't sound like you have had much of a go setting it up manually.

Set F5 defaults save and exit in BIOS....set XMP....go into RAM timings section and copy down Primary timings....

Now with XMP set try to boot with no OC on CPU...see if that works.

If so go back into BIOS and set up your CPU OC after setting XMP...

Or with primary timings set up RAM manually...2400, Input primary timings , 1.65 or try 1.675vdimm ...and tweaks I posted above....also set Rampage Tweak mode 2...