cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"alt gr" + X or C does not work at Win10 login screen

Portugieser
Level 7
Hi Guys,

I managed to upgrade to Win10, then clean UEFI install Win10Pro and install ASUS drivers ... and I can tell you this machine is not the same suck anymore than it was with Win8.1. No more black boot screens, slow boots etc. All works perfect, I strongly suggest you to do the same.

Only 1 strange issue I found: when booting up and getting to the Windows login screen, some "alt gr" key combintions do not work (eg: C or V) while others do (eg: B or N ...). This happens since the first login and still found no solution. Might be these key shortcuts / hotkeys are used by Win10? After logging in, they work fine again in word, web forms etc.

Anyone has a tip where to seek for the solution? So far, I was no able to find out.

Otherwise go for the upgrade+clean install, you will love it 🙂

Many thanks,
P.
11 REPLIES 11

joshindaphils
Level 11
Check your keyboard layout.

Click Start then search for 'Region & Language'... at least that is the English. English (US) keyboards don't have an AltGr key for instance, good chance you just have a different layout than what you are used to.

joshindaphils
Level 11

Click Start then search for 'Region & Language'... at least that is the English. English (US) keyboards don't have an AltGr key for instance, good chance you just have a different layout than what you are used to.

If you have multiple languages / KB layouts on your system once you are on the login window there is a language buttong down by the power / network status, etc in the lower right.

Thanks, I am using Win10 in English with Hungarian keyboard. I treid mate, but doesnt help. Even if you change the input language (Eng-UK, Eng-HU, HU-HU) same effect, these combos simply do not work ... weird.

joshindaphils wrote:

If you have multiple languages / KB layouts on your system once you are on the login window there is a language buttong down by the power / network status, etc in the lower right.

Thanks, I am using Win10 in English with Hungarian keyboard. I treid mate, but doesnt help. Even if you change the input language (Eng-UK, Eng-HU, HU-HU) same effect, these combos simply do not work ... weird.

2menijulia
Level 7
so its ok to use win10 pro? using free upgrade i only had the win10 home...hmmm. interesting.. are you using G751JT? do you notice difference of win10pro with win10 home?

2menijulia wrote:
so its ok to use win10 pro? using free upgrade i only had the win10 home...hmmm. interesting.. are you using G751JT? do you notice difference of win10pro with win10 home?

I used 8.1Pro as well before. If you have Home edition, it will upgrade to the same (Pro to Pro, Home to Home).

2menijulia
Level 7
OIC. hahaha...maybe that's why 😄 too bad... was planning to go on pro and already downloaded it.hahahaha

Kimmix
Level 7
I still get black screen at startup sometimes, WIN 10 Home, G751JY

Asoryu
Level 9
ASUS uses garbage keyboards in their top end gaming systems that ghost out over 2 keys on some combinations. It's basically the same keyboard that they use on their cheapest laptops. So don't be surprised if their is no resolution to your issue.