cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[G751JT] windows 10: record key not working anymore :-(

holzbank
Level 7
hi there, anyone else with a non working record button (top left button, left from steam button) after upgrade to windows 10 (no clean install)?

as long as shadow play is disabled, the record button comes up with the normal info (have internet, start geforce experience, enable shadow play). but once shadow play is enabled, the button will noch start a record session:-((

any help would be much appreciated 😞
9 REPLIES 9

Zaedric
Level 8
I don't exactly know what is wrong with it because I never really tested it before upgrading to windows 10. #
May I ask, is it suppose to record gameplay straight away? Or does it open up gforce exp. and enable it just like you said? Otherwise if its suppose to record straight away, then I would love to find a fix!

once shadowplay is enabled in geforce experience (GE), the button should start/stop recording - all of it based on GE though

did some more testings, as for now it looks like it's a bug in latest GE and/or windows 10, let's hope it'll be fixed soon

The simplest thing that you can do is to look for alternate screen recorder. There are decent apps that you can find across the net. Some of which includes program like Camstudio, Bandicam, and Free Online Screen Recorder. The first two apps require installation, while the third program is a web-based free app and you can use it anytime regardless of the OS platform that you have.

Must change the macro sequence of the "star/stop recording" going in ge-force experience settings.
I made it and it works.
Regards

Hank174 wrote:
Must change the macro sequence of the "star/stop recording" going in ge-force experience settings.
I made it and it works.
Regards

Good, sometimes randomly, updating NVidia drivers this may still happen also on my G751JY. I'll stick this topic in my bookmark....
As you said here entering GFE settings, Keyboard shortcuts, and changing ALT+F9 (Toggle manual recording on/off and save) to ALT+F20 (that's what happens when you redefine for this the direct recording key).

Here is direct recording keys:

EDIT:
unfortunately the little LED won't turn ON/OFF this way... so it's a partial fix.
--
ASUS ROG Strix GL703GS, GTX 1070 8GB, 32GB RAM, 1920x1080 144Hz G-Sync laptop screen, external monitor UWQHD 3440x1440 Mi Monitor, NVMe 4x, 8BitDo Arcade Stick, EasySMX X10 controller, ROG Strix Carry mouse

hexaae wrote:
Good, sometimes randomly, updating NVidia drivers this may still happen also on my G751JY. I'll stick this topic in my bookmark....
As you said here entering GFE settings, Keyboard shortcuts, and changing ALT+F9 (Toggle manual recording on/off and save) to ALT+F20 (that's what happens when you redefine for this the direct recording key).

Here is direct recording keys:

EDIT:
unfortunately the little LED won't turn ON/OFF this way... so it's a partial fix.

The led got "broken" by Nvidia quite a while ago; pretty sure it's Geforce Experience registry change concerning the key functionality. I don't remember which update that did it but it was a while ago. Remapping record Key back to Alt+F20 at least gets it working again.

holzbank
Level 7
once shadowplay is enabled in geforce experience (GE), the button should start/stop recording - all of it based on GE though

did some more testings, as for now it looks like it's a bug in latest GE and/or windows 10, let's hope it'll be fixed soon

hexaae
Level 12
Latest known version with led working fine (after reboot) was GeForce Experience 3.7.0.81.
I still use that version because has no big bugs introduced in next versions (currently 3.12.0.84).

How to reinstall 3.7.0.81, for those interested:
1. uninstall GFE from usual Windows installed apps panel or deselect it when installing new driver
2. block "international-gfe.download.nvidia.com" in your "C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts" file adding this line:
127.0.0.1 international-gfe.download.nvidia.com       #Block GFE and Nvidia drivers auto updates

3. install 3.7.0.81
4. configure as Record key: ALT+F20 (= the ShadowPlay record key on our G751JY)
5. reboot

If you're really interested to fix it for newer GFE you could investigate what's changed in the registry installing 3.7.0.81, snapshot registry, and install 3.12.x.x. It would be a useful find, but I don't have the time/will myself ATM.
--
ASUS ROG Strix GL703GS, GTX 1070 8GB, 32GB RAM, 1920x1080 144Hz G-Sync laptop screen, external monitor UWQHD 3440x1440 Mi Monitor, NVMe 4x, 8BitDo Arcade Stick, EasySMX X10 controller, ROG Strix Carry mouse

Seansun88888888
Level 7
holzbank wrote:
hi there, anyone else with a non working record button (top left button, left from steam button) after upgrade to windows 10 (no clean install)?

as long as shadow play is disabled, the record button comes up with the normal info (have internet, start geforce experience, enable shadow play). but once shadow play is enabled, the button will noch start a record session:-((

any help would be much appreciated 😞

You can repair the system, if it still doesn’t work, you can try other screen recording tools, such as OBS, free online screen recording, etc.