cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't seem to make a working bootable UEFI USB stick

JemTheWire
Level 7
Hi. As the title says. I am trying to make a bootable UEFI USB stick.

For example, I want to clean install Windows 10 Pro 64bit. I have updated my PC to Win 10, but now would like to clean install having activated my update,

I have used the Microsoft Media Creation Tool and created a Windows 10 64bit USB stick. But I cannot boot from it. When I restart my PC I press F8 and select the UEFI Sandisk 32 GB USB stick from the menu, it simply boots into the BIOS.

Can someone please guide me through, step by step,as to what I need to do, both in creating the USB stick in the first place (assuming I have done it wrong), plus what setting I need enabled or disabled in the BIOS.

FWIW. My PC will UEFI boot into Windows normally, I just want to boot into UEFI mode from a USB stick.

Thanks.
14 REPLIES 14

ChiefZeke
Level 10
I just checked my recently created Win10 USB flash drive - it is formatted as FAT32. If my memory is correct UEFI requires GPT format - my guess is that is the problem. If I'm wrong others will say so and offer a solution.
Lian-Li PC-A77F Full Tower case
PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1200 ATX12V & EPS12V PSU
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011 X79
Intel Core i7-3960X 3.31 LGA 2011 CPU
Intel RTS2011LC Liquid Cooling Solution
Kingston KHX24C11T3K4/32X (quad 32Gb memory kit) 2 each
ASUS Radeon HD7970 DirectCUII 3Gb GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video Card (two in CrossfireX Mode)
Western Digital Cavier Black 2Tb SATA III 6.0GB/S
OCZ Technologies Vertex 4 SATAIII 6Gb/s 512Gb SSD

brkkab123
Level 7
Download Rufus and set it as GPT. Leave everything else as the default's and point it to the Windows 10 iso file and click on start . Then bot from the usb stick and select the boot order in your uefi as I beleive EFI and your usb stick's name. It should be at the bottom of the list.
JemTheWire wrote:

For example, I want to clean install Windows 10 Pro 64bit. I have updated my PC to Win 10, but now would like to clean install having activated my update,

I have used the Microsoft Media Creation Tool and created a Windows 10 64bit USB stick. But I cannot boot from it. When I restart my PC I press F8 and select the UEFI Sandisk 32 GB USB stick from the menu, it simply boots into the BIOS.

Can someone please guide me through, step by step,as to what I need to do, both in creating the USB stick in the first place (assuming I have done it wrong), plus what setting I need enabled or disabled in the BIOS.

FWIW. My PC will UEFI boot into Windows normally, I just want to boot into UEFI mode from a USB stick.

Thanks.

JemTheWire
Level 7
Thank you for the reply.

I have tried Rufus, and it appears to make a 'good USB', all the files are there on the USB stick. However, I just cannot get my system to boot from it!

As the PC is booting, I press F8 and select 'UEFI Sandisk...', the name of my USB stick, but it just drops me to the BIOS setup page.

I do actually have a bootable USB disk I created just after I got the Mobo in January and that works. I am sure I have created this one the same way, but it won't work.
My PC boots into Windows via UEFI no problem. I can make it boot no-UEFI no problem too, just not UEFI USB!

HELP!

coyi1895
Level 10
Try this way to get it going

Tap del to get into BIOS
Go to the Boot tab
Scroll all the way down to Boot Override
Click on UEFI Sandisk 32 GB USB

JemTheWire
Level 7
Thanks, I will try that when I get home from work later and let you know how I get on.

coyi1895
Level 10
No problem. I tried F8 with UEFI Sandisk 8GB and took me to the BIOS instead, so I went to the Boot Override and worked from there. Don't need to disable in the BIOS for this one. Please do and good luck.

JemTheWire
Level 7
Just got home and tried it. Still a no-go. This has me stumped.

coyi1895
Level 10
That's weird. I made it via Daemon's Write Bootable Image to USB, tap F8, didn't work, went to Boot Override instead and worked.

M11C
Level 10
JemTheWire wrote:

Thanks.

didn't read thread, sry.

but this might help; look at step 11:
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/15458-uefi-bootable-usb-flash-drive-create-windows.html

also, i don't think UEFI works with 32bit.

and i might not work with a multi-install ISO (It didn't for me...)

Watercooling FTW :cool:

"essentially one of the most hardcore overclocking motherboards ever made."
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2014/03/24/asus_rampage_iv_black_edition_motherboard_review/7