Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No POST with M.2 SSD as boot drive when RAID is enabled

gunhed508
Level 7
Specs:
ASUS Rampage V Extreme, BIOS 1502
Intel Core i7-5930K
CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16GB (4 x 4GB)
(boot) Kingston HyperX Predator SHPM2280P2/480G M.2 2280 480GB PCI-Express 2.0 x4
(RAID 1) qty 2 Seagate ST4000DM000 4TB SATA drives
EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Windows 8.1

I've got an M.2 SSD installed in the motherboard's M.2 slot, and that device is my boot drive for Windows 8.1. At this point, everything is working great; the system will boot into Windows just fine. What I wanted to do next was install a couple of 4TB SATA drives in a RAID 1 set for data storage.

The problem occurrs when I go into the BIOS under PCH Storage and change the Controller 1 to RAID mode - the system will no longer complete POST. It goes through the ROG logo screen, then the RAID BIOS loads shows my SATA drives, then it seems to get right to the end and hangs just before attempting to boot the OS (a black screen with the blinking cursor in the upper-left). I can't Ctrl-Alt-Del or even get the caps lock to respond. The last QCODE I get is AE. I've checked obvious things, like ensuring that the SSD device is highest in the boot order. I CAN, however, go into the BIOS under Boot and force boot the from the SSD device.

Any ideas on where to troubleshoot this issue?
3 REPLIES 3

gunhed508
Level 7
Some additional information:

I think I'm specifically having trouble with the SATA ports on this board.

I tried plugging my two hard drives into different SATA ports, and found that ports 3 and 4 will accept the drives
and allow me to boot into Windows. Any other combination seems to disrupt the normal boot process.

Also, I've had to disconnect my optical drive (I have tried three different DVD drives). If I connect it to ANY SATA
port, I don't get a normal boot. Regardless, I can always enter the BIOS setup and manually choose my M.2
to boot directly.

Is this a firmware bug or do I have a defective motherboard?

Menthol
Level 14
Did you install windows on the M.2 drive with the SATA ports set to raid? (not sure that needs to be done with a pcie M.2 drive or not before you enable sata raid) Did you install Intel raid drivers before changing to raid so the OS can see your drives in raid mode?

trumpy81
Level 7
Did you format the SSD as MBR or GPT? I think you need to use GPT?