cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Must have" apps for ROG G751 ?

borkri
Level 7
As a new g751jy owner I'd like to know what you consider 'must have' stuff on this sweet laptop ... and perhaps also a few short words as to what it does and why you think it's a must?

All input appreciated, and for my part I'm (at least for now) most interested in apps that monitors stuff on laptop like cpu/temp and such...and tweak programs to manipulate it?

I'll go first, Total Commander. It's a file utility that lets you move/copy/view/edit/pack/unpack/ftp/fxp ..all in all every darn thing you'd like to do to keep order and manipulate files on your machine.
Link to page is http://ghisler.com/ and it's a freeware that I've been using last 15 yrs? Ever since the old Norton Commander was 'the thing!' 😛
4 REPLIES 4

Gidimi
Level 7
Intel XTU - Montior and tweak (ie. undervolt) CPU. Must have if your having issues with the CPU temperatures.
HWMonitor - Monitor temps. Good starting point to just have an idea of all your temps.
MSI Afterburner - Monitor everything (+ on screen display) and tweak GPU clocks. Must have for monitoring (fps, gpu, cpu) while gaming.

Cant go wrong with those.

aeolisio
Level 10
borkri wrote:
As a new g751jy owner I'd like to know what you consider 'must have' stuff on this sweet laptop ... and perhaps also a few short words as to what it does and why you think it's a must?

All input appreciated, and for my part I'm (at least for now) most interested in apps that monitors stuff on laptop like cpu/temp and such...and tweak programs to manipulate it?

I'll go first, Total Commander. It's a file utility that lets you move/copy/view/edit/pack/unpack/ftp/fxp ..all in all every darn thing you'd like to do to keep order and manipulate files on your machine.
Link to page is http://ghisler.com/ and it's a freeware that I've been using last 15 yrs? Ever since the old Norton Commander was 'the thing!' 😛

HWINFO to be able to pull info on installed hardware and see what that hardwares actually running at. Very helpful for diagnostics.
3d printed parts and accessories for the G751. You know you want something better than OEM ->https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AQUASTEVAE
Level 8
ok, so for an over all monitor of everything, cpuid hwmonitor is my go to app. but it's not really my must have app, although a good one to have. next is notebook fan control app. i love this app, as it gives me total control over my g751jy's cooling. i like having this one, but not really my must have. many other very useful apps are utorrent, mamb, debut screen capture, virtual clone drive, hd tune pro, kodi, macrium, msi afterburner, intel extreme tuning utility and sony vegas 13 are all great apps that are very useful. however, if i had to pick my top app that is a must have, and app that life sucks without it, i would have to say objectdock. objectdock is awesome! it allows me to do everything i do on my computer ten times faster and more efficiently that if i didn't have it. i hate working on a computer that doesn't have it. i have docks on three sides of my desktop, and they are all autohidden. so there is NO icons on my desktop. i hate desktops full of icons. it's a waste of resources. so i use docks that pop up as soon as i bring the mouse over to the edge.

CoolerMaster Maker 5T - ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME - 65-inch UHD 4k SAMSUNG Q8FN - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - NZXT Kraken X72 - 10 SIRIUS LOOP/NZXT RGB Case Fans W/ HUE+ - Gigabyte AORUS 1080 TI EXTREME - 64GB GSkill TRIDENTZ NEO 3600Mhz DDR4 - 3X XPG GAMMIX S70 2TB NVMe SSD'S- 2X CORSAIR FORCE MP600 NVMe SSD'S - WD BLUE 8TB HDD - Logitech wireless KRAFT advanced keyboard - Logitech M570 wireless trackball - Dual booting WIN 11

Zenite
Level 7
borkri wrote:

Plain and simple. Nothing!
If you have a certain interest then you'll know the types of tools and applications that you'll want on your computer to meet that interest. Do not listen to anyone above because their needs are not your needs. lots of people like to claim this tool or that tool for diagnostics and to qfh, there is no need for diagnostics, no need to over clock, no need to install modded drivers which contain all sorts of malicious code.

ps. Total commander is straight up early 1990's software. Never found a significant useful reason for installing it, with is dated UI.