cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair V Formula Z Error Code 42

Pandydo
Level 7
I have recently installed windows 10 and every time I start up my computer I get the error code 42 and have no idea what this is. I had also tried to install windows 8 with the same error code coming up. To get rid of the 42 error code I need to restart my computer, but this is just getting annoying. I previously had windows 7 install and it never came up with this error code.

Any ideas what this 42 error code is?
1 REPLY 1

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi Pandydo and Welcome to ROG 😄

If error code 42 is from within windows, as I suspect it is. It means Windows cannot load a device driver for a piece of hardware on your system and probably because there is a duplicate device already running on the system. This is caused by a sub-process that the system accidentally named incorrectly.

Normally a reboot will fix it by allowing the system to clear out cache memory. As it is constantly happening, I would check in Device Manager and try to identify the culprit that is being duplicated. Do you see any yellow triangles against any drivers?
You can delete suspect drivers and the system will reload those drivers on next reboot hopefully correctly.

Also run "sfc /scannow" in an elevated command prompt. (without quotation marks) If you have any corrupted files, Windows will attempt to fix the problem or warn you it can't.

If you have changed or recently added a device or peripheral, then that device or peripheral would be suspect.

Hope this helps.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]