cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

windows explorer hangs up in new G74sx

sdy2011
Level 7
Hi all,

I bought an Asus G74sx laptop yesterday and I have only installed FIFA 12, Portal 2, PowerISO and Winrar 393 since I unpacked the machine. Whenever I play any game and then exit the game and then if I open windows explorer and right click on the blank space( not on any file, just blank space to to do things like make new folder), my windows explorer hangs up and i get the prompt to close and restart windows explorer which I do but then I face the same issue again and again.

I have tried troubleshooting this problem and I have uninstalled WebStorage and I have updated my ATK driver version to 1.00014.
I even tried disabling some context menu entries by using shellexview, but the problem still persists. Whenever I click on a file though I do not get this issue.

Please help me solve this problem.

Thanks.
10 REPLIES 10

BrodyBoy
Level 10
I think I've heard that some of the Asus bloatware can cause these kinds of conflicts in Windows Explorer. Unfortuantely, I don't recall exactly which programs (I don't use any of the Asus stuff), so my suggestion would be to go thorugh and uninstall as much of it as you're willing to sacrifice. The more the better.....

380mcn
Level 9
unistall all crapware from ASUS. Check sticky regarding the software you should keep.

another NICE FEATURE OF THIS FORUM is the SPAM..

JRd1st
Level 12
There's a sticky for that? Link?
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

380mcn
Level 9
this forum is killing me.. yesterday i swear there was a sticky with your link JR! now it's gone.. and has more SPAM! i know the forum is in beta condition.. but come on!

please jr allow me to always recommend the drivers you provide!

380mcn wrote:
this forum is killing me.. yesterday i swear there was a sticky with your link JR! now it's gone.. and has more SPAM! i know the forum is in beta condition.. but come on!

please jr allow me to always recommend the drivers you provide!

Advertise my link in your sig. Lol j/k

BTW, that user's error is prolly caused by Asus Online Storage or whatever it's called. It integrates itself into explorer then screws it up. A simple uninstall is all it takes to fix that problem. You can still use that cloud space via a browser. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

JRd1st wrote:
Advertise my link in your sig. Lol j/k

BTW, that user's error is prolly caused by Asus Online Storage or whatever it's called. It integrates itself into explorer then screws it up. A simple uninstall is all it takes to fix that problem. You can still use that cloud space via a browser. 😄

I have already uninstalled webstorage. The thing about this problem is that it occurs only after playing a game. I tried it after watching the 3d demo that came along with the system in fullscreen. So again its not because of all full screen applications. Hence I thought that the direct X experiments may be the cause.

380mcn
Level 9
he said he uninstalled asus web storage.. i had the same problem that vanished when i uninstalled web storage AND Syncables Desktop SE.

using this site as a reference http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/380681-asus-utility-bloatware-guide.html i recommend installing only Power4 Gear KB filter, every ATK*, express gate, wireless console
Update ALL DRIVERS in http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5224-Drivers-Apps-and-How-to-s

sdy2011
Level 7
Thanks a lot for all your replies.

I remember one more thing, when I had installed FIFA 12, it said it required a file called something like d3d_44dx9.dll
This is a directX version 9 file I presume, hence I did the setup for direct X given in another game , I believe FIFA 11. Can this be the problem ?
Also I am using the Trend Micro Internet Security provided by Asus , dont know if it can cause any problems though.

I'll uninstall syncables and reply again.

Thanks again for your valuable suggestions.

JRd1st
Level 12
Trend Micro is integrated into explorer, right? See if in its settings you can turn that menu integration off. Also, right click on a file and see if there are any options for programs you uninstalled already.

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com