cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751 Ram Upgrade

asabovesobelow
Level 7
I have G751JT with 8GB RAM. I checked via CPU-Z, 1600mhz and single channel. Can I just purchase this RAM and put in the second slot and use together?
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬~ஜ۩۞۩ஜ~▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE D OT A !
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬~ஜ۩۞۩ஜ~▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
6 REPLIES 6

aeolisio
Level 10
theres a search bar at the top right of the forums and a gigantic red sticky at the very top about memory that would have given you this same answer.
yes you can install the same stick but you will need to lift the keyboard to access that slot for dual channel.
3d printed parts and accessories for the G751. You know you want something better than OEM ->https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Actually, aeolisio, I don't think that's true. All of the G751s I have encountered and worked with so far have the slot that's under the user-accessible panel, the one closer to the board, not the outer one be the matching bank for dual-channel. I run 16GB atm with 2 8gb Hynix sticks, one is in, one is out and it runs in dual channel 🙂

CPU-Z reports them as slots 2 and 3. It is possible that different revisions of the motherboard have the slots function differently.

But asaboveisbelow is showing us a 2x8gb kit (even though he says he wants to put "it" in the second slot...). So it does not matter if he puts them in our out - in both cases any combination of two sticks would run in dual-channel with the third remaining in single channel.

EDIT: For some reason, editing this post made a new one O.o

Edweird wrote:
Actually, aeolisio, I don't think that's true. All of the G751s I have encountered and worked with so far have the slot that's under the user-accessible panel, the one closer to the board, not the outer one be the matching bank for dual-channel. I run 16GB atm with 2 8gb Hynix sticks, one is in, one is out and it runs in dual channel 🙂

CPU-Z reports them as slots 2 and 3. It is possible that different revisions of the motherboard have the slots function differently.

But asaboveisbelow is showing us a 2x8gb kit (even though he says he wants to put "it" in the second slot...). So it does not matter if he puts them in our out - in both cases any combination of two sticks would run in dual-channel with the third remaining in single channel.

EDIT: For some reason, editing this post made a new one O.o

That would mean not only is the repair spec sheet and g751 board info sheet would be wrong but also the answers in most of this forum regarding pairing. I find i more likely cpuz is misreporting have you verified it with anything else?
asabove stated he had 8gb of ram in single channel which means 1 stick in slot 2 under the keyboard. i didnt see his link and assumed he meant the same stick. His link shows a 9 cas kit which im sure your aware isnt the same as the 11 stick he has installed and even if your right about the channels he would be mixing 11 with 9 cas together best case scenario it stresses the memory controller and clocks it to 11 worst case it wont boot or frys the controller.
3d printed parts and accessories for the G751. You know you want something better than OEM ->https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Edweird
Level 10

CPU-Z reprts them as slots 2 and 3.

Carnoustie
Level 9
as long as it's 1.35 volts it will work without any stress,the cas 9 will just run at cas 11,no problems.

Edweird
Level 10
I confirmed it using the detailed view through HWINFO as well. I haven't had any problems with CAS mixing before. My dad's K95 runs 1 4gb module at 11/1600 and two modules of 4gb at 9/1600. This is completely fine in my experience. I'm not sure how it happens automatically but the system adjusts the CAS settings and operating frequencies in steps - 11/1600 would work as 10/1333 or 9/1066 etc. I assume this is why if you go to manufacturers' websites (like Hynix) they list their modules that they support CAS latencies 5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13 etc. even though the modules are specced to CAS 11 at 1600MHz. So, again, I don't know how it works, but as far as I know, frequencies and CAS latencies are changed around between different modules until a match is found.

I don't know what answers specifically you're referring to, aeolisio, but I distinctly remember reading months ago that the internal set of slots is not paired - again, this might be a difference between motherboard revisions.

As I know it, what does stress the memory controller is using 1.5v memory on Haswell CPUs like i7-4710HQ that officially only support 1.35v memory. However, on Ivy Bridge CPUs like i7-3630 using either is 100% fine but I'm not sure on mixing. Aforementioned K95 had it exactly like this - it used to run on one 1.35v and one 1.5v module till i took the 1.35v one and put it in my G751 and instead replaced it with the two 1.5v 9/1600 modules I talked about earlier. Been working 100% stable under extremely heavy leads (video editing/ramdisk) for months. My G751, as expected, does not like 1.5v memory much but it does work fine with it (only tried this a couple of times, I run matched memory atm, essentially same Hynix brand, same latencies, frequencies, voltages etc but with different block structures)

I'm not saying ANY of this is fine - it just is in my experience.

EDIT: Just remembered I've seen some G751s around forums with stock sticks in slot 1, 2 or 4 but as far as I know, the stock 8 gig stick always goes into the same physical place on the mobo so maybe the motherboards between models really are different in layout.