Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    New ROGer Array

6700K passed Intel Processor Diagnostic tool - but was damaged

Quote Originally Posted by Menthol View Post
    gerbil.
    there have been a couple other people here that have RMA'd there boards to find out it was their CPU

seanbarkley,
    if you disconnect power source it may return to the default setting, I have not tested it but it sounds like that would be a normal thing to do
    Confirmed:
    6700K [No: 1] + ASUS ROG VIII [Motherboard A]
    * passed Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool
    * MEMTest 86 also passed
    * All the usual disconnections, battery removal, CMOS clearing etc. tried ....
    Hence I returned my Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha board (suspected bent pins in CPU socket)..

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    6700K [No: 1] + ASUS DeLuxe [Motherboard B]
    => VGA light on & code 62

67800K [No: 2] + ASUS DeLuxe [Motherboard B] => Code 99, lots of re-boothing, clearing CMOS .. then ..
    SUCCESS!!!

I am RMA ing CPU [1].

It has taken 2 Motherboards & 2 CPU to get something working.
    Passing Intel Processor Diagnostics for CPU [1] really confused me ..
    MEMTest 86 also passed (I presume it has to use the CPU ... surely).
    Hence my reluctance to blame the CPU.

I blame running Prime95 (Feb 2016 release) Torture test for ~30mins reaching sustained 93 degree temperatures
    Skylake is supposed to self protect at 100 degrees C TJ Max
    90+ degrees scared me ... Prime95 started to report errors .. then blue screen of death ..
    Only after numerous reboots and working my way back the Qcode table (from bad to worse) did I finally get stuck at 44 or so ..

(Yes I did fit my Noctura NH D15s correctly).
    [CPU 1] 4.5GHz overclock, 1.35V core & 1.35V for the DDR4 DRAM
    I think I might have switched off the variable CPU rate (maintain 4.5GHz all the time?)
    Can't remember .. sooo much hacking ...
    [CPU 2] Asus Auto-overclock (too scared now to mess with it!)
    4.5GHz overclock, 1.325V core & 1.2V for my 3200MHz DDR4 (running at stock 2133MHz :-(

hotrod717 Array

Hmm. Thought this thread would be a little busier, with less horror. New owner of a Maximus VIII Gene. Second 6700k looking good so far with 1.232v VID. Going on chilled water tomorrow.
    *My 2c for new system builders. Please read as much as you can about the products you are buying and the hardware it will support. Installation videos are extremely helpful. Ask questions before attempting something you are not familiar with. Directions in these matters are necessary unlike that first "whatever" you put together. We all have been there at some point. The more informed, have more success.
    Asus makes some great products. I've owned just about every manufacturer of motherboard and gpu, but keep coming back to Asus.
    Last edited by Blackjack; 02-06-2016 at 01:48 AM.

ROG Member Array

Hello,

iam new to Z170 and i have a question about the LLC Levels.

I have a VIII Ranger Mobo and LLC Levels from 1-7.
    Can you explain to me what the single levels are doing?
    Which one equals Intel Standard?
    Couldn´t find good information with my Interner Research because it seems that every MoBo Brand is implementing LLC
    diffrent. And the Manuel wasn´t helpful also.

Thank for any help.

regards
    SuLux

New ROGer Array

Question Z170-premium "what's in the box".

Can anyone tell me if all the items listed as "Accessories" at the link "Specifications"
    https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z1...pecifications/
    are included in the box?
    I can't find any unboxing review.
    Thank you.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by renan12369 View Post
    hi ,where can i find drivers for maximus VIII gene please?
    thanks
    the support DVD that came with your board.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Kenrou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rhesus7 View Post
    Confirmed:
    6700K [No: 1] + ASUS ROG VIII [Motherboard A]
    * passed Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool
    * MEMTest 86 also passed
    * All the usual disconnections, battery removal, CMOS clearing etc. tried ....
    Hence I returned my Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha board (suspected bent pins in CPU socket)..

6700K [No: 1] + ASUS DeLuxe [Motherboard B]
    => VGA light on & code 62

67800K [No: 2] + ASUS DeLuxe [Motherboard B] => Code 99, lots of re-boothing, clearing CMOS .. then ..
    SUCCESS!!!

I am RMA ing CPU [1].

It has taken 2 Motherboards & 2 CPU to get something working.
    Passing Intel Processor Diagnostics for CPU [1] really confused me ..
    MEMTest 86 also passed (I presume it has to use the CPU ... surely).
    Hence my reluctance to blame the CPU.

I blame running Prime95 (Feb 2016 release) Torture test for ~30mins reaching sustained 93 degree temperatures
    Skylake is supposed to self protect at 100 degrees C TJ Max
    90+ degrees scared me ... Prime95 started to report errors .. then blue screen of death ..
    Only after numerous reboots and working my way back the Qcode table (from bad to worse) did I finally get stuck at 44 or so ..

(Yes I did fit my Noctura NH D15s correctly).
    [CPU 1] 4.5GHz overclock, 1.35V core & 1.35V for the DDR4 DRAM
    I think I might have switched off the variable CPU rate (maintain 4.5GHz all the time?)
    Can't remember .. sooo much hacking ...
    [CPU 2] Asus Auto-overclock (too scared now to mess with it!)
    4.5GHz overclock, 1.325V core & 1.2V for my 3200MHz DDR4 (running at stock 2133MHz :-(
    There are a few Skylake that don't like going above ~85c for some strange reason, maybe you just got unlucky ? in my case Prime95 fizzled even at stock, the mobo seems to be slightly undervolting the ram so as soon as i found that out i put it to 1.4v and it was smooth sailing
    CPU: i7-6700k @4.7ghz
    Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
    GPU: Strix 980ti OC

RAM: 2x 8GB Ripjaws V 3200mhz C14
    Motherboard: Maximus VIII Hero

SSD: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250gb
    HDD: 1x WD Black 4TB
    PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W Gold
    CASE: Fractal Define R5 Black

Quote Originally Posted by maleficarus View Post
    Not to burst in on the party, but I honestly can't see a reason to upgrade. Heck, even the Hero VIII seems a downgrade vs. the Hero VII. At least the Hero VII has dual colour PCB....explain guys, give me a solid reason to sell my Hero VII in favor for the Hero VIII...this coming from a huge ASUS fan (check my system specs)
    It is a downgrade because of colour PCB ?? Really? Are you serious?

Quote Originally Posted by Kenrou View Post
    There are a few Skylake that don't like going above ~85c for some strange reason, maybe you just got unlucky ? in my case Prime95 fizzled even at stock, the mobo seems to be slightly undervolting the ram so as soon as i found that out i put it to 1.4v and it was smooth sailing
    Please provide some facts that " a few Skylake don't like going above 85 c"

All modern CPU's can handle 100c before throttling ( Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge/Haswell and Skylake chips can tolerate 100 -120 c (Skylake) before throttling.

So if you know anything about any of these chips not like above 85 c "for some strange reason" you should contact Intel and claim that you have a bad chip.
    Maybe you think of AMD chips. They throttle around 60-70C. Maybe you have mixed the chips.

ROG Member Array

Question Thunderbolt requirements?

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a WD HDD with Thunderbolt connection.
    So my question is. To be even able to utilize Thunderbolt on this mobbo I also need to acquire a Thunderbolt I/O card?

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast