Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HardOCP: Intel Skylake Core i7-6700K IPC & Overclocking Review

01_Wolverine
Level 12
Quote:

Luck of the Draw?

Pre-Devil's Canyon processors varied wildly when it came to overclocking. If you could get a 4770K or 4660K that would do 4.5 or 4.6GHz under stress testing, you were doing very well. That does not seem to be the case with Skylake.

In the "Guys Talk, You Hear Things" category, it seems that "everyone" is having luck with their Skylake processors and getting those to 4.7GHz overclocks with 3000MHz memory speeds. It seems that the only thing enthusiasts are going to be bound by is what speed RAM they can afford. There are not a lot of 3600+ DDR4 kits floating around right now, so we were lucky that we could show you that speed. This is certainly good news.

Has Intel simply nailed the process on this 14nm Skylake, or have they simply binned the hell out of these CPUs? Remember we did mention on page 1 that this is the first time in almost 20 years that Intel has sent us a retail processor instead of an engineering sample marked "confidential." This seems very odd to me, and the quote from Intel does not make sense to me either as to its reasoning or to why. Anyway, we can cook up conspiracy theories all day long, but as it sits right now, it looks like "all" the Skylake 6700K processor will give you a solid 4.7GHz overclock. I have no reasons to think right now that retail boxed processors will be any different.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/08/05/intel_skylake_core_i76700k_ipc_overclocking_review#.VcIY8c...
0 REPLIES 0