cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for Help! AMD 9590 Black on Crosshair Formula-V

CWCordell
Level 7
I'm new to building a gaming PC. I've built two PCs before but neither were gaming and it's been fifteen years. I'm desperate to figure out why my PC locks up (freezes). I can usually boot and launch programs normally for a period of time. Eventually though it freezes. It seems to freeze faster when playing Civilization V, about 20 minutes in from the initial boot of the day. I can reset and it comes back fine for a period of time. If I launch Civ V again it will freeze about 15 minutes into the game and will continue the cycle of resetting and freezing 15 minutes in on each play. If I'm doing other things, such as watching youtube or just leave the PC idle, then it will take longer but will eventually freeze. I've also had it freeze while in the BIOS a few times and once on the splash screen after changing RAM settings in the BIOS.

There is one BIOS update but it is a USB update, so I wouldn't think that is the problem. I've tried switching video cards, tested the RAM, unplugged peripherals, and tweaked RAM setting in BIOS. I even took the PC to a shop to get hardware tests done ($70) and found nothing. I have not tried another processor, power supply, or motherboard but PC shop said these were okay. I've monitored the temperatures and all look well below capacity.

I've been digging around on the web and have found folks with a similar issue on new gaming rigs. Now I'm thinking and hoping that this is a common issue with the 9590 processor and someone has found a solution. Please keep in mind that I'm a novice at dealing with a gaming PC. At this point I'm not concerned with overclocking and just want a stable PC so that I may play a game without anticipation of the PC freezing.

Here is a list of my components:
AMD FX 9590 Black
Cooler Master Nepton CPU Water Cooler
ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z
Gigabyte Windforce 290X 4GB
ADATA SP600 SSD
Barracuda 3TB HD
G.Skill Sniper Series DDR3 RAM (2x8) 16 GB
Cooler Master PSU, 750w
Cooler Master Storm Trooper Case
Windows 8.1

I'd like to know if this is a common issue right out of the box and any suggestions on a fix. Like I said, I'm desperate and any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Cory
6 REPLIES 6

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi CWCordell and Welcome to ROG

Unfortunately the CVF was not designed to support the FX-9590 with it's 220 TDP draw and others have had this problem.
You would be better to go with the FX-8350 at 140W. or upgrade the MB to CVFZ.

The FX-9590 really is a beast of a processor (in terms if heat generated by the VRMs) and if it were me. I would personally choose to upgrade the MB,
If your water cooler is the Nepton 280L Swap the MB. anything less and I would choose to change the CPU to FX-8***.

You will continue IMO, to have stability issues, (should you choose to stay with what you have) either that or underclock the CPU. (not a solution)

MM
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

CWCordell
Level 7
Thanks for the reply MeanMachine,

I mistyped the motherboard. I have a Crosshair V Formula-Z motherboard. Sorry about that. Is it normal for this setup for the computer to freeze with optimal settings? I'm going to fidgit with manual settings tomorrow but I'm starting to wish I'd have gone with a 8350.

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi CWCordell and Ok, apologies accepted.:p

Problems can arrive from the very start, DO NOT make arbitrary changes in Bios without knowing the consequence of what the change you make will do.
The EUFI Bios is extremely comprehensive, and takes some time to thoroughly understand how some aspects work.

I have found that at initial startup, go straight to Bios and let the Bios set optimal parameters itself, for CPU bus frequency and ratio in conjunction with the DIMMs you are using. You do this by choosing D.O.C.P initially, You should then conduct a stress test for stability at those settings. Then if you are stable, you can change to manual settings and tune for performance.

Tuning basically involves manually keying in your XMP profile for your DIMMs, raising the base clock frequency (bclk) to the desired OC with NB and HT configured to suit and voltages for both CPU and DIMMs optimized.

As no two systems are the same, it takes time and patience (and no guess work) to achieve what you want.
At each phase of the tuning process, you have to test for stability. At each phase of success, you save a profile in Bios, Then increase clock frequency a little more till you are no longer stable. You then make minor increases in voltage, till stability is achieved. You eventually strike a brick wall, where no matter what you do , you can not achieve stability. You then go back to your last good saved profile and leave it at that.
All of this is best done as a bench test prior to assembly.

You have a good processor, and yes it is a beast, but can be tamed with excellent results, if done correctly.
The FX-9590 is essentially a selectively binned FX-8350, with superior IMC and voltage regulator for the 220TDP draw that the processor needs for 5GHz and more. There is not much headroom left overclocking past 5.0GHz as the VRMs will overheat, unless you then choose a cooling method for that.

Happy OCing and lets us know how you go.:D. If you have problems, were here to help.

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]

Thanks MeanMachine!

I've tried running on D.O.C.P. mode before with no other changes then I've tried changing the RAM frequency and voltage slightly. In both instances the PC still froze.

I've done a quite a bit of research over the last couple of days on overclocking. While I'm nowhere near an advanced OCer, I'm more comfortable with it than I was. I found a guide on the web that describes basically what you just said about changing settings in increments. I'm going to download Prime95, cpu-z, and HW monitor this morning and get to work!

I just find it odd and perplexing that my system isn't stable on optimal or D.O.C.P. settings. I suppose I'm comparing it to the other non-gaming PC's I've built where the compatible components are assembled and it just works.

Speaking of compatible I've also looked into RAM compatibility. My G.Skill RAM is not listed on the ASUS website for compatibility with my board and vice versa even though the Formula-z supports the RAM speeds. Is this an issue?

Thanks again and I'll let you know how things go today.

CWCordell
Level 7
I was just curious to see if Prime95 would run with optimal (optimized BIOS) settings and it did. I let it run about 25 minutes. TheCPU socket temp max was 68 degrees Celsius but it ran fine. So I opened Civilization V, because the PC freezes within about 20 minutes in that game, to see if it would freeze. Sure enough, 23 minutes into the game it froze. So, I'm not sure what is causing the freezing. Temperatures looked good with the hottest being my GPU at about 60 degrees. Any suggestions? Could it be RAM compatibility?

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi CWCordell and yes it could be the problem with your DIMMs.

The only way to tell really, is to try another kit that is rated and tested with your MB.
I have Corsair Dominators that are rated at 1866MHz and work fine for me. There is not much to gain in terms of FPS, when playing games at higher frequencies. It also depends on what the IMC can handle and maybe 2400Mhz is just too much, without excessive voltage requirement.

You could try to loosen your timings and see if that helps, if not then swap the DIMMs with ones that have been tested and listed on the QVL.

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]