cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 x PG278Q and Nvidia Surround help desperately sought

mindsignals
Level 9
I've now had this arrangement for 10 months. Every time there is a new driver update, it takes an act of god (and on average about 2 weeks of attempts) to get 7680 x 1440 or 7824 (72/72 padding) x 1440 enabled. Once enabled, it continues working without issue.

I'm driving mine with 3 x 780ti cards (Asus ROG Matrix II copper series). For those with 3 x PG278Q monitors, how are you driving yours for nvidia surround across 3 screens at 144 hz with g-sync? With one/two/three 900-series cards? With three 700-series cards? Are you also running into this issue (further described below) when trying to initially establish 7680 x 1440 surround resolution?

I love surround, but I'm close to giving up as it's just not worth the hassle of spending hours upon hours every time I upgrade my video driver every month or less.

I am also usually using DisplayFusion which, under Win 8.1, at least would enable me to eventually someday get the surround working...without it, I could almost never get it into that state. I also have typically had to completely reinstall the graphics driver each time as well as uninstalling and reinstalling DisplayFusion. Under Win 10, I have yet to get surround properly enabled...as described below, it will indicate that it is, but it's not.

I upgraded to Win 10, causing the newest nvidia driver to install and thus I can now not get it back in surround mode. Three screens works without issue...it's only surround mode that is problematic. It will claim to be set, but is actually just two screens magnified and clipped so you see a portion of that resolution greatly magnified. Under Win 8.1, it would simply fail to set it properly and I'd have to try again. In both cases (Win 10 or Win 8.1), I cannot find any reliable or repeatable means to initially get surround properly enabled until or unless I eventually get lucky after 100 or so attempts spanning days or weeks.
7 REPLIES 7

Mindtrick
Level 7
I'm running three PG278q's, but I'm pushing them with two Titan X's. I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that, for surround mode, all three monitors must be connected to the same card. This is impossible with 780ti's as they only have one display port per card, and the PG278Q only supports diplay port connection. Just my two cents...

BTW, I've not had any of the issues you've encountered.

mindsignals
Level 9
They have to be connected to three identical cards since each has only one display port per card. In fact, I wasn't sure if it could work on the 900 series with only one card (which, from what you've just said, it will). I was more certain it wouldn't work with two cards in SLI even if it did support one card as I wasn't sure how it would split up the workload...does each card render alternating lines or does one card render the two surround screens while one renders the main?

I have an ASUS Extreme V and three cards on that board just don't work well with fan-based cooling...the middle card takes a beating in particular. By contrast, with two cards, plenty of air passes over each of them since it leaves the gap on the board between those two cards. I have MAJOR instability problems with three cards, but I haven't been able to confirm if it's the graphics, RAM, or mobo as I know little about overclocking/underclocking and the Extreme V will fail to boot Windows even under most stock or auto settings.

I have found Windows 10 to work superbly with the surround mode though. The fact that it was originally magnifying everything led me to believe it wasn't spanning correctly, but it was and correcting the zoom resolved that. I can also switch back and forth between surround and 3-separate screens without issue in Windows 10...I could absolutely not do that in Windows 8. However, the DTS Interactive 5.1 on the Extreme V does not as yet work for me under Windows 10, so I did have to forego that unfortunately for the time being until it is or has been resolved.

To confirm, you are running your three PG278Q's in surround as one screen with the two Titan X cards, right?

OLIMOPA
Level 7
I cant run my 3 displays in Surround at 144 Hz, only at 85Hz for some reason.
Any ideas?

mindsignals
Level 9
Are all three plugged into one card with both connected via SLI? Mindtrick mentioned if they aren't all plugged into the same card it may be problematic.

I believe one reason mine is fickle is that one card was DOA from the start and its replacement, though coded as the same, doesn't have the same frequencies available as the other two and the heat sink looks decidedly different. Nevertheless, they all work at either of 144 or 120 together without issue against 3 x 780ti with one monitor connected to each card. As I understand it, each card actually renders each monitor separately in sli-surround with my setup, but that's the only supported configuration with the 700 series.

mindsignals wrote:
Are all three plugged into one card with both connected via SLI? Mindtrick mentioned if they aren't all plugged into the same card it may be problematic.

I believe one reason mine is fickle is that one card was DOA from the start and its replacement, though coded as the same, doesn't have the same frequencies available as the other two and the heat sink looks decidedly different. Nevertheless, they all work at either of 144 or 120 together without issue against 3 x 780ti with one monitor connected to each card. As I understand it, each card actually renders each monitor separately in sli-surround with my setup, but that's the only supported configuration with the 700 series.

Got my monitors connected to 1 graphic card (because it has 3 displayports ) and i am running them at SLI.
When i activate the surround at 144 Hz one of the monitors starts to flicker like hell (Like its broken or something but its not) and when i run them
in normal mode I can only have 2x monitors activated at 144Hz, the third monitor has to run at 85Hz otherwise it starts to flicker BADLY!
But i knowfor a fact its not the monitors since i traded places with them and it happens to all 3 of them.
I ran them all Singel handed to and they all work perfectly, not sure if its the cable or what it could be.

I could record with my phone and show you the exact thing the happens to help you understand what i mean when it comes to the flickering.

I think mine is DOA out of the box...... and calling support is like talking to a wall..... im getting tired of the crappy asus support. I guess im going to start going with MCI or another company. Too bad too..

Kotronas
Level 9
Right click on desktop the choose nvidia blabla there find the monitor setup tab , on that it will tell you where you have to put the plugs of your monitor it should have a green area with the ports that can run them. I had a setup 1x1440 2x1080 on 2x770 without issues on win 8.1

Hope you can get it working. It suck having such setup and can't use it 100%

GL