Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

Unfortunately, still can't hold 54/53 and again, once this breaks down it's just time till it all explodes. Got to 66/71 in 22min. HS probe this time was 51C, so much higher than the ~45C before lapping.

Maybe the heat transfer to HS is still hindered.

And I had such high hopes.

It's interesting that the max temp is reached always about the same time, around 20min mark.

My next step is to try and lower the heatsink mounting assembly so that I can get a tighter fit. But I'm worried that maybe my CPU or MB is just not very OC friendly.
    Last edited by skubany; 12-18-2011 at 01:14 AM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Should vCore be dropping as the CPU temperature rises?

I always thought that vCore increases to stabilize the CPU when it gets hotter, but it seems to be the opposite on this MB.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Wow this MB is weird.

So I go into BIOS and set vCore at 1.35.

So far HWMonitor64 shows vCore high at 1.33 and currently at 1.28. Running my usual test. Temps after 30min are [socket/core in C] 48/42. Seems to be stable. But then why run the CPU at such a high (1.4+) Auto vCore if 1.28 seems to be sufficient?

Can an idle CPU core temp be less than ambient? At BIOS vCore of 1.35 my comp booted with core temp at 22C, ambient is 25C.

ROG Enthusiast Array

After lapping the heatsink, many re-seatings and today's testing the conclusion is that the Thermalright SI-128 SE is a '90s heatsink for a '00s CPU. It seems like it was design with 90W CPUs in mind and not the current 140W.

While CPU was keeping itself warm at 66-70C I wanted to see how hot the heatsink felt in various places. The heatsink has four big heat pipes going out the back of the HS base and curving up to finally go through the sides of HS fins at the top.

At 66-70C front of the HS base is burning hot. I couldn't keep my finger on it longer than 4-5 seconds. The back of the base, where the heat pipes come out was much cooler, I could keep my finger on it without problems. The heat pipes are even more cooler and the HS fins are the least hot.

So it seems that mating is solid, heat transfer is quite good as one part of the HS base is scorching hot while another at least 40% cooler. If this HS had heat pipes going out at both ends, like the new tower coolers, then I think it would be able to handle my Phenom. It can still handle it at lower voltage, 1.35625v and 3,6 Ghz, but my goal is to reach and surpass 4Ghz and for that I need a new cooler.

No wonder many people can reach 4Ghz on "stock" voltage, when it's so high, at least on this board. CVF has status LED for OC of the main components. At stock voltage it's showing high value for CPU. At my lowered voltage the lowest value LED is lit, out of the three values possible.

ROG Enthusiast Array Sir Slappy's Avatar

If your gonna look for a new cooler, I would recommend the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO as a cheap but effective air cooler. I am using that to cool my 1100T that is oc'd to 4.0Ghz at 1.404 Vcore. I am running a small fft Prime95 test atm and according to both AI Suite II and CPUID HW my cpu socket temp is at 54 degrees C and my core temps are all hovering between 45-46 degrees C at 100% load. It is not an expensive cpu cooler ($30 roughly) and seems to cool well. I am using 2x Cooler Master 120mm SickleFlows in push/pull venting towards the rear of my HAF-X. Just a friendly suggestion.

At idle, my temps are 33 degrees C socket temp and 24-25 degrees core temp
    Last edited by Sir Slappy; 12-20-2011 at 05:23 AM. Reason: more info
    Motherboard- Maximus VII GENE
    CPU- Intel i5-4690K 4.5GHz 1.25Vcore
    CPU Cooler- EK Supremacy (Acetal+ Nickel)
    RAM- 16gb G.Skill 2133MHz 9-11-11-31 1.6V
    GPU- EVGA GTX 780
    SSD- OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
    SSD- Samsung 840 EVO 250GB
    PSU- EVGA SuperNOVA 750w G2
    Case- CaseLabs SM5
    OS- Windows 8.1 64bit

ROG Enthusiast Array

Sir Slappy, those are very nice temps and certainly ones I would like to see with my PC. Can you tell me your ambient temp and for how long you were loading the CPU before taking measurements? Fan speed/size?

I've always bought Thermalright. All the way back to Athlon's. Thermalright always had the best air heatsinks and they're the first place I go to see what's new. Unfortunately, lately their heatsinks while still excellent, are very hard to find. I'm interested in their True Spirit 120; love the look and the performance. As for availability, only one shop sells it at ~$45 total. While looking for a HS that is more widely available I did see the EVO that you're mentioning. It would be great to be able to see two of these heatsinks reviewed by the same person, then their results can truly be compared. EVO seems like a good widely available substitute for the True Spirit 120.

The problem with my case is that, while it is wide enough, to improve airflow I've cut a hole in plexiglass and mounted a 140mm fan directing it at the SB (lower part of the MB in general). This fan will not allow me to mount a tower heatsink. An alternative is a fully-contained liquid cooler (Antec 920 / Corsair H80) and while the cooling capabilities are on par with the True Spirit 120, the liquid coolers look like they're louder. Plus I see people mention that they can sometimes (at low RPM, I think), hear the pump itself over all the fans in their case. Also, there are more parts that can fail in a liquid cooling solution although the 5yr warranty gives peace of mind.

I'll have to decide now, remove the fan or go with liquid cooling.

ROG Enthusiast Array Sir Slappy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skubany View Post
    Sir Slappy, those are very nice temps and certainly ones I would like to see with my PC. Can you tell me your ambient temp and for how long you were loading the CPU before taking measurements? Fan speed/size?
    The ambient temp in my apartment usually hangs around 25 degrees C. and I had been running Prime95 for about an hour when I took those readings. As for the fan speed/size, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103091, I have two of these hooked up to my cpu cooler. The Hyper 212 EVO comes with a second set of brackets to be able to easily install the second fan on the cooler in a push/pull setup.
    Motherboard- Maximus VII GENE
    CPU- Intel i5-4690K 4.5GHz 1.25Vcore
    CPU Cooler- EK Supremacy (Acetal+ Nickel)
    RAM- 16gb G.Skill 2133MHz 9-11-11-31 1.6V
    GPU- EVGA GTX 780
    SSD- OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
    SSD- Samsung 840 EVO 250GB
    PSU- EVGA SuperNOVA 750w G2
    Case- CaseLabs SM5
    OS- Windows 8.1 64bit

ROG Enthusiast Array

Thanks Sir Slappy.

I've went ahead and purchased Corsair H80 as the only solution that will allow me to keep my side fans.

Will report back here with temp results.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Corsair H80 installed.

Temperatures are much better. With lowered vCore and 30 min testing:
    ambient 24C
    inside case (top) 28-29C (there is some air blowing on the sensor)
    mb 28-29C
    socket 44-45C
    core 32-33C

H80 fans running at max. The H80 fans are very whiney. Loudness is much more bearable than whiney fan, so this is a major downside. The whining stops only on low fan setting. At high fan setting and idle CPU the fans are still whiney. Installation was easy, cooling is very good and looks nice, just the fan noise. I don't really hear the pump, which some were complaining about in user reviews.

I did try with vCore on auto 2-3 days ago and the temp was also very good, maybe 5-8C higher than my lowered voltage. So it should be able to handle higher OC.

I still do believe that the tower coolers would cool just as well and I guess the only benefit of H20 cooling is that there is no hot air dumping into the case. All the hot air is pushed straight out the back.

Any ideas on the fan whining? Anything that can be tried?

Last I remember a fan whining was when there was an obstacle very close to the intake of a fast fan, the further the obstacle was the lesser the whining sound, until it disappeared entirely with the obstacle moved back far enough. When I move my case back under my desk maybe the sound won't be as annoying, but I doubt it.

ROG Enthusiast Array

I figured out why the fans where whining.

Summary of today's H80 acoustics testing using stock fans at various speeds in a push-pull configuration with airflow out of the case.

The pulling fan is the loudest. Something I've noticed with one of my case intake fans when replaced with one that is faster. In general, if there is some obstacle (hand, material with holes or without) close to the intake side of a fast fan then the fan's acoustics get worse. Meaning, that you get additional higher pitched sound on top of the regular sound of air flowing through the fan. The closer the obstacle, the more annoying the additional sound gets. Given that the pull fan on H80 has the heatsink on it's intake side, that fan is the loudest out of the two.

The pushing fan has very comfortable to the ear low pitched sound. The pushing fan probably contributes most to cooling the radiator so using it by itself will get you the most comfortable fan acoustics. Putting on a fan grill has no negative effect on the sound of the fun when it's used by itself.

When two fans are used. The pulling fan is again the loudest and produces a low level high pitched sound. The pushing fan sounds more or less as it did when running by itself.

The annoying whining sound is introduced when a fan grill (standard circles fan grill) is applied to the pushing fan in a dual fan configuration. The closer the fan grill is to the pushing fan the higher the whining sound. Fan grill has no effect on the sound if only the pushing fan is connected to the H80 radiator.

The best middle ground between excellent cooling and excellent acoustics is to have the pulling fan on low (or get a quiet fan) and the pushing fan on high without any fan grill on it.

When the fan speeds are not equal then the radiator seems to be emitting a sound that's comparable to boiling water (?). One has to be very close to the radiator to notice it.

The stock fans are 7 blade. My plan is to test 9 blade fans next.
    Last edited by skubany; 12-29-2011 at 02:28 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast